Tough alevels!

Watch this thread
Daisy87!
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What alevels did everyone take? How did/do you find them?
Last edited by Daisy87!; 3 years ago
Daisy87!
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
I’m in year 13 doing physics bio and chem;
Do you use the website physics and maths tutor?
They have tonnes of free practice questions on all topics and specifications (for each subject) maybe that’ll help with exam practice??? )
Daisy87!
Rep:
Physics is interesting except I hate circuits too!!! It’s not too bad but literally have to do so many practice questions to get good at it (In my case). I think my first biology mock I got a D and E; now i’m at an A so theres hope!!! Would suggest really focusing on learning the knowledge then doing practice questions
Idg a damn
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
chemistry is an arse

analytical chemistry kills
Daisy87!
Rep:
(Original post by Idg a damn)
chemistry is an arse

analytical chemistry kills
Chemistry is my worst subject. It’s really hard and at the same time doesn’t super interest me so I struggle to revise for it! I don’t really mind AS analytical chem but A2 analytics is horrid
Daisy87!
Rep:
Yeah 100% agree. Just revise the knowledge and then do stacks of practice questions and you’ll be okay good luck to you too!
username2889812
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Daisy87!)
I’m in year 13 doing physics bio and chem;
Do you use the website physics and maths tutor?
They have tonnes of free practice questions on all topics and specifications (for each subject) maybe that’ll help with exam practice??? )
Same subjects...all edexcel tho...
I find them okayish...but i need to upgrade revision and pmt practice...
Last edited by username2889812; 3 years ago
Daisy87!
Rep:
(Original post by Spannerin'moi)
Same subjects...all edexcel tho...
I find them okayish...but i need to upgrade revision and pmt practice...
I’m doing them all Edexcel too! They’re quite tough to be fair. How are you revising for chemistry?
username2889812
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I’m doing them all Edexcel too! They’re quite tough to be fair. How are you revising for chemistry?
:five:
practising the mechanisms till they are like abc
How about you...
Last edited by username2889812; 3 years ago
Daisy87!
Rep:
(Original post by Spannerin'moi)
:five:
practising the mechanisms till they are like abc
How about you...
Making a poster on every single reaction and chemical test and then practicing the mechanisms too.
Do you sometimes find the calculation questions difficult in the exams?
LuigiMario
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
physics
maths
chemistry
general studies

loved physics, failed maths, did OK in chemistry, but it was my "general studies" that eventually helped me to get an international well paid job!
it was a very light 'A'-level, a bit of French or German language, I mostly read Paris Match weekend magazine for two years, and got grade 'A'.

so years later, I had applied to some group that I didn't know much about, and they said something like "Donc, monsieur LuigiMario, en tant que Britannique, pouvez-vous enfin nous dire en français, avez-vous entendu parler de l'un des administrateurs de notre organisation, et de nos institutions"?

and I was able to stumble through the correct answers in French, I'd done GCSE French, but that dreaded 'useless for university' general studies 'A'-level , amazingly helped to keep that bit of language alive.
I did need the Physics for my first Job and they also needed that I had taken Maths 'A'-level, (I got 9% in the mock & had to fight school to continue, get a home tutor - great idea if maths is a challenge to you etc) and later at college/work, I came top at my college year in Maths and passed with 87% in finals; different teachers, different teaching styles at universities and colleges...
username2889812
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Making a poster on every single reaction and chemical test and then practicing the mechanisms too.
Do you sometimes find the calculation questions difficult in the exams?
Nice I should adopt that tactic
Yeah the equilibrium constants, acid-base...
Idg a damn
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Calculations in chem are quite easy as long as you understand the concepts underlying within the topics and have a logical mindset when solving the questions

Organic chem and analytical are the ones I find terrifying

There's also biochem of which I dont even know what to do with it...
Daisy87!
Rep:
I don’t mind organic chemistry as much, use to hate it but found some ways to make it less confusing:
Make a huge poster including chemical tests, reactions and how to convert substances (e.g alcohol to a carboxylic acid) as there are bound to be questions on this.
Flash cards also work EXTREMELY well
Analytics is all about practice I guess but I hate it!
Also hate redox!
Daisy87!
Rep:
(Original post by LuigiMario)
physics
maths
chemistry
general studies

loved physics, failed maths, did OK in chemistry, but it was my "general studies" that eventually helped me to get an international well paid job!
it was a very light 'A'-level, a bit of French or German language, I mostly read Paris Match weekend magazine for two years, and got grade 'A'.

so years later, I had applied to some group that I didn't know much about, and they said something like "Donc, monsieur LuigiMario, en tant que Britannique, pouvez-vous enfin nous dire en français, avez-vous entendu parler de l'un des administrateurs de notre organisation, et de nos institutions"?

and I was able to stumble through the correct answers in French, I'd done GCSE French, but that dreaded 'useless for university' general studies 'A'-level , amazingly helped to keep that bit of language alive.
I did need the Physics for my first Job and they also needed that I had taken Maths 'A'-level, (I got 9% in the mock & had to fight school to continue, get a home tutor - great idea if maths is a challenge to you etc) and later at college/work, I came top at my college year in Maths and passed with 87% in finals; different teachers, different teaching styles at universities and colleges...
What types of things do you learn in general studies?
LuigiMario
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
it was almost the opposite of a "tough A level", I'm mentioning because although it is seen as a "timetable filler", it was also a bit like a mini liberal arts or international relations course

here's what TSR has to say https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...tudies_A_Level

Many Universities will not accept General Studies as an A level subject for admissions.
General Studies is a subject which encompasses all aspects of the world around us. It deals with politics, ethics, literature, language, culture, science, technology and mathematics. Candidates are therefore required to have a general knowledge of each of these fields and are examined on them accordingly.
Lessons normally take the form of structured debates about current events or themes relating to specific modules. Whilst it is nearly impossible to predict which topics will appear in the exams, it is important that candidates are able to analyse information and make balanced arguments.
Generally candidates who have strong critical thinking skills will score well on the science and maths papers. Those who are able to write well-formed essays will also score well, as essay questions are a main aspect of most General Studies exams.

What types of things do you learn in general studies?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (21)
17.5%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
25.83%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (64)
53.33%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
3.33%

Watched Threads