Swb123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey can some one help me to solve this question please.
A satellite X is in a circular orbit of radius r about the centre of a spherical planet of mass M.
Which line, A to D, in the table gives correct expressions for the centripetal acceleration a and the speed v of the satellite?
Answer is
acceleration= GM/r*2 and speed = √GM/r
kursk1896
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so the satellite experiences a gravitational force of GMm/r^2. This is the same as a centripetal force acting on the satellite as the satellite orbits around the planet with circular motion. Hence GMm/r^2 = mv^2/r (centripetal force acting on the satellite). Cancel out the mass of the satellite on both sides (little m) and rearrange to find v.
Centripetal acceleration is given by v^2/r. As you figured out v, you just need to substitute the expression for v you figured out into the equation for centripetal acceleration.
Last edited by kursk1896; 1 year ago
Swb123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
okay got it. Thank you so much
(Original post by kursk1896)
so the satellite experiences a gravitational force of GMm/r^2. This is the same as a centripetal force acting on the satellite as the satellite orbits around the planet with circular motion. Hence GMm/r^2 = mv^2/r (centripetal force acting on the satellite). Cancel out the mass of the satellite on both sides (little m) and rearrange to find v.
Centripetal acceleration is given by v^2/r. As you figured out v, you just need to substitute the expression for v you figured out into the equation for centripetal acceleration.
A Smart Guy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by kursk1896)
i know this thread is old but where did you get the equation: GMm/r^2 from? I'm doing year 2 a level
charlottefife
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by A Smart Guy)
i know this thread is old but where did you get the equation: GMm/r^2 from? I'm doing year 2 a level
formula sheet? F= gMm/r^2

When I did this question I used the formula sheet g=GM/r^2 for a at the start
then a = v^2 / r which is equal to GMm/r^2. Finally equalling v = square root of (GM/r)
A Smart Guy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by charlottefife)
formula sheet? F= gMm/r^2

When I did this question I used the formula sheet g=GM/r^2 for a at the start
then a = v^2 / r which is equal to GMm/r^2. Finally equalling v = square root of (GM/r)
My teacher gave us this question before we even went over gravitational fields, he probably assumed it only had to do with circular motion
charlottefife
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by A Smart Guy)
My teacher gave us this question before we even went over gravitational fields, he probably assumed it only had to do with circular motion
ah fair enough
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (596)
49.13%
No (617)
50.87%

Watched Threads