Does the SQA penalise spelling mistakes? Watch

pineapplepink
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Does anyone know if I would lose marks in a national 5 exam if I spelt something wrong (not talking about Nat 5 English) e.g if I spelt pancreas like pancrease in Biology or something stupid like that?
Thanks
goldilocks12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You shouldn’t loose marks as long as the marker can understand what you meant. Obviously in English you will loose marks for poor spelling and when writing in a foreign language spelling also matters but apart from that it’s usually ok. Just make sure you’re not writing a different word entirely from what you mean
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Labrador99
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by pineapplepink)
Does anyone know if I would lose marks in a national 5 exam if I spelt something wrong (not talking about Nat 5 English) e.g if I spelt pancreas like pancrease in Biology or something stupid like that?
Thanks
Great answer from Glodilocks...Just to add to it, the thing you need to watch out for is that your spelling mistake doesn't then make it into another word. If you're not sure how to spell a word, my biology teacher said write it how it sounds (phonetically) and you should get the mark.
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Can only speak for myself, but no, never pulled for spelling by SQA.
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
yeah i'm not bad at spelling or anything it's just i can imagine myself making some silly mistake, but that's reassuring.
thanks for the replies
nat5dawg
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Name:  chrome_neVanrEp0B.png
Views: 16
Size:  17.8 KB
This was in the Biology 2018 marking scheme. I'd assume it's the same in most other subjects too (but I'm not certain).

https://i.imgur.com/fp9V3pE.png
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by nat5dawg)
Name:  chrome_neVanrEp0B.png
Views: 16
Size:  17.8 KB
This was in the Biology 2018 marking scheme. I'd assume it's the same in most other subjects too (but I'm not certain).

https://i.imgur.com/fp9V3pE.png
thanks that's really helpful
lorrie.ladybug
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks
I remember seeing in a mark scheme not to accept pancrease in biology. also the whole glucose, glucagon and glycogen thing they'll penalise you for that. They also I think are stricter on spelling in English exams
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
yeah that's what I was worried about
for the diabetes thing you'd have to get them right because they're different words, and my English teacher did say that they penalise for spelling mistakes, so I know that, it's just accidental mistakes that are quite easy to make when you're rushing that I was talking about. I'll just have to be extra careful/ reader over all my answers (I try to do that anyway)
(Original post by lorrie.ladybug)
I remember seeing in a mark scheme not to accept pancrease in biology. also the whole glucose, glucagon and glycogen thing they'll penalise you for that. They also I think are stricter on spelling in English exams
lorrie.ladybug
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah- my biology teacher said that that was the ONE thing to watch ut for- even one letter wrong could lose you the mark
yeah that's what I was worried about
for the diabetes thing you'd have to get them right because they're different words, and my English teacher did say that they penalise for spelling mistakes, so I know that, it's just accidental mistakes that are quite easy to make when you're rushing that I was talking about. I'll just have to be extra careful/ reader over all my answers (I try to do that anyway)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (376)
37.49%
No - but I will (76)
7.58%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (480)
47.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed