The Student Room Group

Student Finance Application + DSA

Hello!

I’m in the middle of filling out my student finance application but alas, I am stuck at the first hurdle. I’m probably overthinking this but any help would be appreciated.

During the ‘about you’ section it asks of any of these circumstances apply to you, one being “you’re able to get some disability related benefits” which I believe applies to me as I have Crohn’s Disease and therefore am potentially eligible for the DSA.

However, when I click on this option I’m presented with a list where nothing applies to me. The only option related to the DSA says “you’re deaf and qualify for the Disabled Students Allowance” - but I’m not deaf.

If I say that none of these apply to me, and that I won’t get any disability related benefits, will that stop me from applying for the DSA once I have finished my Student Finance Application?

I’m truly confused & would appreciate any help. Has anyone else been as confused as me before?
I don’t want to risk not being allowed to apply for the DSA, but I also don’t want to be accused of lying and then fined.

(Sorry for the long post)
Original post by bubblecat
Hello!

I’m in the middle of filling out my student finance application but alas, I am stuck at the first hurdle. I’m probably overthinking this but any help would be appreciated.

During the ‘about you’ section it asks of any of these circumstances apply to you, one being “you’re able to get some disability related benefits” which I believe applies to me as I have Crohn’s Disease and therefore am potentially eligible for the DSA.

However, when I click on this option I’m presented with a list where nothing applies to me. The only option related to the DSA says “you’re deaf and qualify for the Disabled Students Allowance” - but I’m not deaf.

If I say that none of these apply to me, and that I won’t get any disability related benefits, will that stop me from applying for the DSA once I have finished my Student Finance Application?

I’m truly confused & would appreciate any help. Has anyone else been as confused as me before?
I don’t want to risk not being allowed to apply for the DSA, but I also don’t want to be accused of lying and then fined.

(Sorry for the long post)

You don't have to be eligible for disability benefits to get DSA, it asks that questions as if you say yes you might be eligible for the special support loan/grant rather than the standard maintenance loan. In your case you should put no and then you apply for dsa separately, dsa isn't a disability benefit at all, it's a sort of grant :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
You don't have to be eligible for disability benefits to get DSA, it asks that questions as if you say yes you might be eligible for the special support loan/grant rather than the standard maintenance loan. In your case you should put no and then you apply for dsa separately, dsa isn't a disability benefit at all, it's a sort of grant :smile:

thank you for the reply! i was worried that it would make them think i dont have a disability and therefore would not allow me to apply for dsa. Clearly I overthink things haha. thanks again very helpful :smile:
Original post by bubblecat
thank you for the reply! i was worried that it would make them think i dont have a disability and therefore would not allow me to apply for dsa. Clearly I overthink things haha. thanks again very helpful :smile:

no problem :smile: if you need any help with your dsa application then feel free to message me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending