What careers are open to you after completing a Engineering Psychology MSc?

Watch
anniisa97
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am very I interested in engineering psychology but don't care for being a qualified engineering psychologist. A PhD programme demands a lot of determination I dont have. What careers will be open to me after completing only a Masters?

I have tried to search this myself on Google but I'm really not getting anywhere.
Last edited by anniisa97; 2 years ago
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by anniisa97)
I am very I interested in engineering psychology but don't care for being a qualified engineering psychologist. A PhD programme demands a lot of determination I dont have. What careers will be open to me after completing only a Masters?

I have tried to search this myself on Google but I'm really not getting anywhere.
Maybe something like human factors engineering?

Or something like this? https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/underg...achel-bennett/
Last edited by Smack; 2 years ago
anniisa97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)

This was really helpful. Thanks!
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Smack)

unrelated to the OP but this just goes to show how loosely the term "engineer" is used here in the UK.

How can you work in a human factors team which is almost purely like HR and marketing merged into one and then be termed a "Senior Engineer" after few years? lol
anniisa97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Renaissance-Man)
unrelated to the OP but this just goes to show how loosely the term "engineer" is used here in the UK.

How can you work in a human factors team which is almost purely like HR and marketing merged into one and then be termed a "Senior Engineer" after few years? lol
because your helping in designing better equipment whilst taking human factors into consideration.
The job role includes using software to design better equipment like an engineer would do.
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
because your helping in designing better equipment whilst taking human factors into consideration.
The job role includes using software to design better equipment like an engineer would do.
is that not what Design engineers already do at Rolls Royce?
anniisa97
Rep:
?
is that not what Design engineers already do at Rolls Royce?
I don't have a clue what they do lol. I just know about what human factors engineers do, and they basically try and figure out all the potential health risks or accidents that can happen with a product, and then try and design a better version for the sake of health and safety. They don't take other things into consideration like other engineers might do since they're specifically trained on human factors.

edit:
They do work hand in hand with other engineers as well.But I think a design engineers real.job is to design the product for the target market. Obviously making sure it is safe. But it's the human factors engineers job to review it for any potential risks one it's made, and to further improve that product once they have ideas on how to make it better.
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't have a clue what they do lol. I just know about what human factors engineers do, and they basically try and figure out all the potential health risks or accidents that can happen with a product, and then try and design a better version for the sake of health and safety. They don't take other things into consideration like other engineers might do since they're specifically trained on human factors.
Design Engineers do exactly what you said in your previous post to me except they will be also using engineering science to make basic judgements.

In places like Germany and the United States for example the term "engineer" is a protected title and it is used to designate people with an actual engineering education/degree. In the UK the term is not protected and you have technicians for example who come to your house to fix your boiler being called engineers etc.
Last edited by trapking; 2 years ago
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Human factors isn't really anything like HR or marketing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (200)
43.67%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (51)
11.14%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.64%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.4%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.26%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.9%

Watched Threads