The Student Room Group

Not doing exams in one sitting, advice needed!!

Hi so I'm currently in year 13 doing Maths, Physics and English Lit. I think I can do alright in maths and physics but not in english.
My english coursework is rubbish and I honestly don't know why I chose the subject, I don't enjoy it and regret choosing it. Due to my terrible coursework mark I can't get a decent grade. I'm thinking of doing an A level during my gap year and applying to uni with Maths, Physics and the gap year subject.

Lots of unis mention taking exams in one sitting, will I not get in if I do an A level in my gap year?. Is it possible not to mention that you sat exams in different years on ucas? (i've never been on it)

I want to study engineering and i'm not planning on applying to oxbridge, the highest ranked unis I've been thinking about are Bristol/Edinburgh.

Thanks for any advice
Reply 1
What did you have to do for your coursework?
Reply 2
Original post by wordsandroses
What did you have to do for your coursework?

Two essays, 3000 words
Original post by Old_bean
Hi so I'm currently in year 13 doing Maths, Physics and English Lit. I think I can do alright in maths and physics but not in english.
My english coursework is rubbish and I honestly don't know why I chose the subject, I don't enjoy it and regret choosing it. Due to my terrible coursework mark I can't get a decent grade. I'm thinking of doing an A level during my gap year and applying to uni with Maths, Physics and the gap year subject.

Lots of unis mention taking exams in one sitting, will I not get in if I do an A level in my gap year?. Is it possible not to mention that you sat exams in different years on ucas? (i've never been on it)

I want to study engineering and i'm not planning on applying to oxbridge, the highest ranked unis I've been thinking about are Bristol/Edinburgh.

Thanks for any advice

Contact the universities you're interested in and explain your situation and ask their advice. They might recommend specific subjects/qualifications that they'd recommend for a gap year or they might be very clear that they wouldn't be interested - either way you will have a better idea what you need to do.
Reply 4
Original post by Old_bean
Two essays, 3000 words

Same as me
I second PQ's advice find out from the source - the uni's - the admissions office is a good place to start.

One more thing - don't lie or be evasive in your application or interview - just have a fairly decent explanation. Your not the first applicant to be in this position. Be open and honest. You'll have to do an "A" level in your gap year to meet most minimum requirements. Again raise this with the uni(s) your interested in.

Good Luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending