George Clooney calls for boycotting Brunei-owned hotels Watch

Fallacies
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Do you think this will make a difference?

The nine hotels owned by Brunei are:

The Dorchester, London
45 Park Lane, London
Coworth Park, UK
The Beverly Hills Hotel, Beverly Hills
Hotel Bel-Air, Los Angeles
Le Meurice, Paris
Hotel Plaza Athenee, Paris
Hotel Eden, Rome
Hotel Principe di Savoia, Milan

"The Brunei-owned luxury hotels facing an international boycott have hidden their social media accounts after backlash over laws in the country were enacted this week making gay sex punishable by death. The hotels, which are operated under the Dorchester Collection brand, have faced a celebrity-led international boycott after implementing the new laws."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brunei-...anti-gay-laws/
z-hog
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
George and Amal, which one will be the first to run for the presidency? She will, he's just an accessory to her.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by z-hog)
George and Amal, which one will be the first to run for the presidency? She will, he's just an accessory to her.
Given she was born in Beirut, it would be pretty difficult for her.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I already boycott those hotels for other reasons.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fallacies)

The Dorchester, London
45 Park Lane, London
Coworth Park, UK
Le Meurice, Paris
Hotel Eden, Rome

"The Brunei-owned luxury hotels facing an international boycott have hidden their social media accounts after backlash over laws in the country were enacted this week making gay sex punishable by death. The hotels, which are operated under the Dorchester Collection brand, have faced a celebrity-led international boycott after implementing the new laws."

I think it's a good idea that he is promoting this. I mean, it's not likely to affect many people on TSR but the bad publicity for those hotels can only be a good thing if it becomes widely known
z-hog
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
I think it's a good idea that he is promoting this. I mean, it's not likely to affect many people on TSR but the bad publicity for those hotels can only be a good thing if it becomes widely known
The problem with these promotions is that we can never tell who is promoting what. Does the world need Clooney to promote it, let's put it that way. Are we to assume some people will now reconsider checking in, only because Clooney makes a noise about it? It may work to some extent but if it does it will be for entirely the wrong reasons, the fashion accessory you don't want to be seen wearing in public. When Madonna or Jolie fly over to Africa to purchase a child, is that all about the child or themselves? Never easy to tell, that's all.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by z-hog)
The problem with these promotions is that we can never tell who is promoting what. Does the world need Clooney to promote it, let's put it that way. Are we to assume some people will now reconsider checking in, only because Clooney makes a noise about it? It may work to some extent but if it does it will be for entirely the wrong reasons, the fashion accessory you don't want to be seen wearing in public. When Madonna or Jolie fly over to Africa to purchase a child, is that all about the child or themselves? Never easy to tell, that's all.
Just because someone's said something doesn't mean you have to pay attention.

He's by no means the only person to come out against this group of hotels, plenty of other celebs have spoken about it. Some people will have their minds changed, some won't. What does it matter?

Does the world need it? No. Does the world need anything? It do people just do what's right for them.

If you're the kind who is mindful about where you spend your money, maybe this will have an effect. Maybe it won't. Doesn't need to be taken as a slight against him simply because you dislike the cult of celebrity.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't think it will make much difference, my Dad saw the protests. I don't know why the attention is on a small country like Brunei all of a sudden, other bigger countries have these laws. Appreciate the sentiment though.
Last edited by Obolinda; 2 weeks ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by z-hog)
The problem with these promotions is that we can never tell who is promoting what. Does the world need Clooney to promote it, let's put it that way. Are we to assume some people will now reconsider checking in, only because Clooney makes a noise about it? It may work to some extent but if it does it will be for entirely the wrong reasons, the fashion accessory you don't want to be seen wearing in public.
I know what you mean but if George Clooney can bring people's attention to the fact that they could register their protest by choosing to spend their money elsewhere, why shouldn't he? He has to suffer the disadvantages of celebrity as well as the advantages and if he can raise people's consciousness then maybe it's not important that some people may boycott these hotels for the "wrong reasons." After all, the financial loss to the owners is the same whatever people's reasons for choosing to go elsewhere.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I am sure the Sultan of Brunei will never get over a Hollywood actor calling him out

Clooney's move: boycott 7* hotels. Sultan's move: execute more gay people. It's like the Sultan has the more real outcome.
HumanBrian
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Isn't that islamophobic?
(Original post by Fallacies)

The Dorchester, London
45 Park Lane, London
Coworth Park, UK
Le Meurice, Paris
Hotel Eden, Rome

the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Rich ***** like Mr Cloony really grind my gears with their virtue signalling
ZombieTheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I've seen quite a few people cancel their bookings to these hotels - especially the Dorchester. Obviously they have employees that probably aren't even aware of who owns the hotel, such as the cleaners/housekeepers I imagine. Also the short notice, literal days, isn't enough for the employees to leave a probably well paying job and find another. So no need to demonise the employees, and I understand why any sane person would also cancel their booking there because it would look *very* awkward to stay there right after these news have gone out.

Honestly the boycotting is very understandable, why should we let a person with such immoral and evil views have assets in the country we live in? That's almost as embarrassing as staying there despite these news coming out.

Obviously I'm not sure what boycotting will do. I've never really heard of it doing much unless it's very persistant. The hotels probably also generate the UK more economy and locally it increases the travel industry - so I'm not sure it's gonna go - although if the employees had all been transferred to another hotel/given similar jobs and the hotels were shut down I wouldn't complain.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by ZombieTheWolf; 2 weeks ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I am sure the Sultan of Brunei will never get over a Hollywood actor calling him out

Clooney's move: boycott 7* hotels. Sultan's move: execute more gay people. It's like the Sultan has the more real outcome.
I hate to disagree with you (mainly cause I'll get roasted) but I think if George can cause reputational damage to the Dorchester Collection brand, that will hurt the Sultan financially, which is one of the few ways we can do anything that he might actually care about.
Molseh
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The bloke is worth like $20 Billion, a few less bookings at his hotels won't affect him in the slightest.
The only realistic way for Britain to influence him is to remove the British Army Regiment that is based there to protect him.
I think if George can cause reputational damage to the Dorchester Collection brand, that will hurt the Sultan financially, which is one of the few ways we can do anything that he might actually care about.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I hate to disagree with you (mainly cause I'll get roasted) but I think if George can cause reputational damage to the Dorchester Collection brand, that will hurt the Sultan financially, which is one of the few ways we can do anything that he might actually care about.
It's a heavily Muslim state. There's a state mufti, they have grand and expensive Mosques everywhere, girls wear headscarves by compulsion. The country is already proven to be willing to lose money for the sake of religion.
Fallacies
Rep:
?
George Clooney's call for the boycott of hotels owned by the Sultan of Brunei is gaining traction, the Beverly Hills Hotel just lost 2 big gigs as a result. Also, a string of companies confirmed late last week that they would no longer be using the five-star hotel’s facilities so Clooney's calling him out is having a noticeable effect due to the tarnished brand image. That's the thing: celebrities speak, people listen.
(Original post by Notoriety)

Fallacies
Rep:
?
True, but although he could have said it with the intention of just demonstrating that he has a 'good character' people could benefit from his possibly self-interested acts. As I said celebrities are basically worshipped by so many people. So, I personally do not mind virtue signaling as long as the outcome, in the end, is 'good'.
(Original post by the bear)
Rich ***** like Mr Cloony really grind my gears with their virtue signalling
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Molseh)
The bloke is worth like $20 Billion, a few less bookings at his hotels won't affect him in the slightest.
"A few less bookings won't affect him" - agreed.

But what if enough people change the way they view hotels like the Dorchester and they become less aspirational and more tarnished? I don't know if it will have enough impact to make any difference long term, but I admire Clooney's attempt to at least encourage people who profess to care about what is going on in Brunei to take their business elsewhere.
Fallacies
Rep:
?
In what world is that islamophobic, sir?
(Original post by HumanBrian)
Isn't that islamophobic?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads