The Student Room Group

19 single What am I doing wrong

Hey guys
so I'm 19 and have never been in a relationship or kissed.
It's really embarrassing and to be honest a lot of it is my fault (anxiety/introvert),
So I decided to change that and have been going out with friends clubbing. On nights out guys come up to me and say I'm pretty, stunning or compliment my hair or facial features but after they just walk way... or some leave and watch me from a distance.... it's weird and I don't get why they to that and how to show interest. I try too but it always seems like a passing compliment.
Sorry if this comes across as cocky but every time I go out multiple guys do this
its not ur fault. maybe its just not ur time.
Well by the sounds of it, your appearance isn't the problem, which is good, because that's the one thing you can't really change.

Sounds like a confidence issue, which is something you can luckily improve if you put the effort in. I'd recommend getting a part time job, it forces you to talk to people and takes you out of your comfort zone, it will make a huge difference to your overall confidence and social abilities. Before I had a job I was a total introvert and scared to even look at people that weren't in my friend group, but three years on and that's completely changed.

Also have you tried Tinder? Generally, talking through an app is a lot easier than in person.
Reply 3
you probably don't reciprocate in any way that seems interesting or accessible for a man.
if you think you can just go to a club and find a boyfriend just because you look nice i've got bad news
Reply 4
maybe :frown:
Original post by kurryyyy
its not ur fault. maybe its just not ur time.
Reply 5
I don't know if that's the problem like I want to talk it just seems like they don't want to
Original post by random0101
Well by the sounds of it, your appearance isn't the problem, which is good, because that's the one thing you can't really change.

Sounds like a confidence issue, which is something you can luckily improve if you put the effort in. I'd recommend getting a part time job, it forces you to talk to people and takes you out of your comfort zone, it will make a huge difference to your overall confidence and social abilities. Before I had a job I was a total introvert and scared to even look at people that weren't in my friend group, but three years on and that's completely changed.

Also have you tried Tinder? Generally, talking through an app is a lot easier than in person.
Reply 6
I don't think that it's confusing as I mentioned before they don't wanna talk they say it and walk away straight away
Original post by Zasty
you probably don't reciprocate in any way that seems interesting or accessible for a man.
if you think you can just go to a club and find a boyfriend just because you look nice i've got bad news
It's just how things are these days, we are all just a bit different since we don't have as much human interaction as people use to have these days. Building connections and relationships is so hard. I have the same problem myself just single AF. Just keep going at it and hopefully you'll find someone who'll treat you right and you deserve!!!
It sounds like you fail to reciprocate interest when they approach you. Guys won't stick around if they think the girl is uninterested. Make conversation with them.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys
so I'm 19 and have never been in a relationship or kissed.
It's really embarrassing and to be honest a lot of it is my fault (anxiety/introvert),
So I decided to change that and have been going out with friends clubbing. On nights out guys come up to me and say I'm pretty, stunning or compliment my hair or facial features but after they just walk way... or some leave and watch me from a distance.... it's weird and I don't get why they to that and how to show interest. I try too but it always seems like a passing compliment.
Sorry if this comes across as cocky but every time I go out multiple guys do this

Probably you are still having anxiety. You have made a good start and just need to keep going. You have to take your time to find out what a good guy is to you.
19 is nothing. Don't worry.
It sounds like there is nothing wrong with the way you look.

As others have said, maybe you need to show interest to men more and perhaps be a bit more open?

And you're still a very young person.
Reply 12
BO? Greasy hair? Granny knickers?
Have you tried talking to them and encouraging them to stay if you're interested ?
It seems like looks aren't the issue here, you simply may be shy/afraid of rejection, try talking to a friend that seems good at talking to guys look at how they do it and their mindset, then try doing that with guys you like.

Also don't look for guys in a nightclub lol, try your social circle or in extracurricular activities ?
God I hope not :biggrin:
Original post by Spanx
BO? Greasy hair? Granny knickers?
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going out tomorrow so I'll definitely try and show more interest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending