The Student Room Group

Veterinary Work Experience

Have other people found that their work experience was hard labour?

I’ve done several weeks of husbandry on farms etc.. and even as a former professional athlete I’ve found the intensity of work challenging: how have other people managed? Ive been lifting heavy loads, wrestling sheep to the floor or lifting them over fences, I’ve been walking dogs constantly for some 2 hours and just in general I’ve barely survived the weeks. Am I too keen to lend a hand?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DanPull
Have other people found that their work experience was hard labour?

I’ve done several weeks of husbandry on farms etc.. and even as a former professional athlete I’ve found the intensity of work challenging: how have other people managed? Ive been lifting heavy loads, wrestling sheep to the floor or lifting them over fences, I’ve been walking dogs constantly for some 2 hours and just in general I’ve barely survived the weeks. Am I too keen to lend a hand?

Unfortunately this is common across lots of fields. Work experience students are often looked upon as a bit of free labour, and employers are often keen to make sure students see the 'dirty' side of the job. On the other hand, you shouldn't be doing anything you don't feel comfortable or competent doing, or that you feel is unsafe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending