studybloomer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Im confused about the answer.
Question: Predict whether an atom of 88Sr will have an atomic radius that is larger than, smaller than or the same as the atomic radius of 87Rb. Explain your answer.
Atomic radius of 88Sr compared to 87Rb

ANSWER: SMALLER
I thought it would be the same , because isotopes of the same element have same electronic configuration, hence will have same number of electron.
Does anyone understand what i mean?

Thank you,
MrMoment
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, Sr and Rb are in the same period in the periodic table, but Sr has a greater atomic number. Hence, Sr has a greater nuclear charge

Isotopes don’t affect nuclear charge. So 88Sr has a higher nuclear charge than 87Rb. A higher nuclear charge means it can attract its outer electrons more, thus a smaller atomic radius.
studybloomer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks, I think I read both as being the same element. Oops

(Original post by MrMoment)
Well, Sr and Rb are in the same period in the periodic table, but Sr has a greater atomic number. Hence, Sr has a greater nuclear charge

Isotopes don’t affect nuclear charge. So 88Sr has a higher nuclear charge than 87Rb. A higher nuclear charge means it can attract its outer electrons more, thus a smaller atomic radius.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (29)
15.18%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (57)
29.84%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
39.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.09%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise