The Student Room Group

a level biology taxonomy

Hi, I am a bit confused on this biology question: Hummingbirds belong to the order "Apodiformes". Name one other taxonomic group that all members of the Apodiformes belong. I don't really understand this question. surely it would be any group above order e.g. domain, but domain is incorrect? I just don't really get what the questions asking. Many thanks
It will be any NAMED taxonomy group above "order" as you say. If this is an A level Q, the easiest answer to work out is the Phylum, so the answer could be Aves (birds - flying variety, btw!! - sorry old terminology - I will soon get a barrage of retaliation from hypocrite feminists in a sec!) OR even higher you could use Vertebrata (of which birds are one, and the others are Reptilia, Amphibia, Pisces (fish) and Mammalia (us) in phylogenetic order), BUT oc these are NOT possible answers, just giving them for info) OR EVEN HIGHER = Animalia (kingdom).

M
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
It will be any NAMED taxonomy group above "order" as you say. If this is an A level Q, the easiest answer to work out is the Phylum, so the answer could be Aves (birds - flying variety, btw!! - sorry old terminology - I will soon get a barrage of retaliation from hypocrite feminists in a sec!) OR even higher you could use Vertebrata (of which birds are one, and the others are Reptilia, Amphibia, Pisces (fish) and Mammalia (us) in phylogenetic order), BUT oc these are NOT possible answers, just giving them for info) OR EVEN HIGHER = Animalia (kingdom).

M

Thank you. Why would domain be incorrect as it was not on the marscheme? It is above order?
Original post by Bertybassett
Thank you. Why would domain be incorrect as it was not on the marscheme? It is above order?

Because the word "domain" is a general term for the level of hierarchy taxonomically, similar to the words "family" OR "order" OR "genus" OR "species"; NONE of these would be in the mark scheme either. But the name of the genus OR species e.g. Plasmodium OR falciparum [which are the genus name and species name of one type of malaria parasite - if the Q had been on this protozoan parasite instead of on the hummingbird] OR the name of the family that hummingbirds belong to (Trochilidae - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummingbird) would be in the mark scheme - only a nerdy bird-watcher would know that, though - but the word "family" will not be in the MS.

The words in italics are NOT in the MS but ONLY the words in bold would be.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending