Normal reaction force when plane is not inclined or flat

Watch
dont know it
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
https://prnt.sc/n1oh8s .

For questions like these, is there a way to know the direction of the normal reaction force? When we have a flat surface it's just perpendicular to that surface in contact, but I don't know what we do here. I posted this question before and the response was the reaction acts tangential to the contact surface but I'm not sure what that means.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by dont know it)

For questions like these, is there a way to know the direction of the normal reaction force? When we have a flat surface it's just perpendicular to that surface in contact, but I don't know what we do here. I posted this question before and the response was the reaction acts tangential to the contact surface but I'm not sure what that means.
Normal means perpendicular, at the point of contact. Here we have normal contact forces acting towards the centre of the circle. There are no frictional forces required for equilibrium, so they're zero.

Without friction, any force can only be perpendicular to the surface at the point of contact. With circles, that's always towards the centre, i.e. perpendicular to the surface.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 11 months ago
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

Take the point where the object touches the externals surface(s) and construct a line (or plane) of tangency that goes through that point.

These are precisely the blue lines on the image. Having that, you reduced your seemingly complicated issue to something you're already familiar with... you have a "fake" flat surface, and the reaction acts normal to this surface which counters the weight.

Due to symmetry, the two reactions are equivalent.

Last edited by RDKGames; 11 months ago
dont know it
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Take the point where the object touches the externals surface(s) and construct a line (or plane) of tangency that goes through that point.

These are precisely the blue lines on the image. Having that, you reduced your seemingly complicated issue to something you're already familiar with... you have a "fake" flat surface, and the reaction acts normal to this surface which counters the weight.

Due to symmetry, the two reactions are equivalent.

Thanks, but what about this one? https://prnt.sc/n9kt7u
dont know it
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Normal means perpendicular, at the point of contact. Here we have normal contact forces acting towards the centre of the circle. There are no frictional forces required for equilibrium, so they're zero.

Without friction, any force can only be perpendicular to the surface at the point of contact. With circles, that's always towards the centre, i.e. perpendicular to the surface.
Thanks, what about this one? https://prnt.sc/n9kt7u.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Thanks, what about this one? https://prnt.sc/n9kt7u.
You only care about the moment applied by the contact forces, so only need to consider the component tangential to the circle where the gears mesh.
dont know it
Rep:
?
You only care about the moment applied by the contact forces, so only need to consider the component tangential to the circle where the gears mesh.
I'm a bit confused..so we wouldn't draw a tangent to the point of contact then draw the normal perpendicular to this tangent?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I'm a bit confused..so we wouldn't draw a tangent to the point of contact then draw the normal perpendicular to this tangent?
With meshed gears, that gets complicated, and changes as they turn. What we care about is the nett component of the contact fores that applies a moment about the centre of each gear. Any component that goes through their centres doesn't apply a moment about it. We will also have reaction forces at the gear centres - they don't apply a moment either, so can also be ignored - draw them, but don't attemp to calculate their magnitudes.
dont know it
Rep:
?
With meshed gears, that gets complicated, and changes as they turn. What we care about is the nett component of the contact fores that applies a moment about the centre of each gear. Any component that goes through their centres doesn't apply a moment about it. We will also have reaction forces at the gear centres - they don't apply a moment either, so can also be ignored - draw them, but don't attemp to calculate their magnitudes.
So with meshed gears, we take the reaction force to act tangential to the contact surface, but in other cases we take the reaction force to act perpendicular to the tangent? Is that correct? And thanks.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
So with meshed gears, we take the reaction force to act tangential to the contact surface, but in other cases we take the reaction force to act perpendicular to the tangent? Is that correct? And thanks.
The contact force may have components both tangential and perpendicular to the point of contact, or, in the case of meshed gears, we consider the circles that logically contact. You need to consider which component is important for the particular case. With meshed gears, their purpose is to transfer torque, so it's the force tangential to the circle of contact that you care matters. For equilibrium, there may not be any frictional forces, so it could be only the normal contact force, but you will have cases where both are non-zero, e.g. a ladder against a wall.
dont know it
Rep:
?
The contact force may have components both tangential and perpendicular to the point of contact, or, in the case of meshed gears, we consider the circles that logically contact. You need to consider which component is important for the particular case. With meshed gears, their purpose is to transfer torque, so it's the force tangential to the circle of contact that you care matters. For equilibrium, there may not be any frictional forces, so it could be only the normal contact force, but you will have cases where both are non-zero, e.g. a ladder against a wall.
I think I get what you're saying, so does that mean for the initial question there was a contact force tangential to the point of contact as well, but we ignored it because it doesn't help us answer the question?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I think I get what you're saying, so does that mean for the initial question there was a contact force tangential to the point of contact as well, but we ignored it because it doesn't help us answer the question?
You'd have to have an elastic cylinder to have frictional forces, which is beyond the level of these questions. You need to assume that there is no friction for that question, although I'm surprised that they didn't explicitly state it.
dont know it
Rep:
?
You'd have to have an elastic cylinder to have frictional forces, which is beyond the level of these questions. You need to assume that there is no friction for that question, although I'm surprised that they didn't explicitly state it.
Ok thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (254)
34%
No (493)
66%

Watched Threads