The Student Room Group

working rights

hi guys I have just left school and am wanting to work full time hours for this summer, this week I want to work 45 hours and some shifts I wanna work are finishing at 10pm and starting at 5am again, I have been told this is illegal but I would like to do it, so do you guys think it will be okay because I want to do it
Original post by lewissmith2001
hi guys I have just left school and am wanting to work full time hours for this summer, this week I want to work 45 hours and some shifts I wanna work are finishing at 10pm and starting at 5am again, I have been told this is illegal but I would like to do it, so do you guys think it will be okay because I want to do it

If something is illegal, it's illegal, whether you want to do it or not is irrelevant. Are you sure you should have left school? Do some more learning about the world of work maybe?
Original post by threeportdrift
If something is illegal, it's illegal, whether you want to do it or not is irrelevant. Are you sure you should have left school? Do some more learning about the world of work maybe?

im 17 just left 6th year now going to uni in September I was wondering if it would make much of a difference aslong as I wanted to do it no need for cheek mate

From what I can find on the internet, workers have the right to an 11 hour break between shifts. This to me says that your employer cannot make you work two shifts with a less than 11 hour break, but if you yourself choose to not take that break it's your own problem. I'm not a legal expert, so don't take my word for it. It may well have serious impacts on your health, so bear that in mind.
im 17 just left 6th year now going to uni in September I was wondering if it would make much of a difference aslong as I wanted to do it no need for cheek mate

Original post by CrazyConnor
From what I can find on the internet, workers have the right to an 11 hour break between shifts. This to me says that your employer cannot make you work two shifts with a less than 11 hour break, but if you yourself choose to not take that break it's your own problem. I'm not a legal expert, so don't take my word for it. It may well have serious impacts on your health, so bear that in mind.

It's not your own problem if you work illegal hours, it's the employers. There is a European work time directive, and technically you can sign your rights away under that, but no-one's going to let an under 18 do that, it's aimed at those who work 60 hour office jobs.
Original post by threeportdrift
It's not your own problem if you work illegal hours, it's the employers. There is a European work time directive, and technically you can sign your rights away under that, but no-one's going to let an under 18 do that, it's aimed at those who work 60 hour office jobs.

Okay. I did say I wasn't a legal expert, it's just my interpretation of the mildly unclear information available to me.
You're entitled to an 11 hour break between shifts but you don't have to take it, just like how you don't have to take any breaks during the working day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending