The Student Room Group

I’ve applied for Fashion Management but I’m starting to regret it

So I’m in my final year of secondary school and I’ve applied to Nottingham Trent University for their Fashion Management course. Lately I’ve been starting to think it’s not what I want to do, and I’m starting to wish I chose design or fine art. (Honestly I hadn’t a proper portfolio and my teachers barely helped with my applications) I’ve payed my accommodation for NTU, so I can’t really back out now. Help me!
I suggest to not panic, go to that excellent university, try that fashion course for a day or a week, then try for an internal swap to one of their other courses - have a heart to heart talk to one of the lecturers or professors.

I know of people who have successfully changed course (from Geology to Art/French) after just one hour, but who honestly gave it a try - to see what the course actually contained and how it was going to be taught, with what emphasis.

plus, a backup option here: using Clearance/Adjustment: day if your portfolio isn't quite as good as some ppl that they are turning down, that could put you in a pickle now, so. remember that if you do great at school and slightly exceed your expected grades, then you can always phone NTU up on adjustment day (15th August 2019) and discuss if, how, and why you might be able to change to one of their other courses.
Original post by Laoisenibhaoill
So I’m in my final year of secondary school and I’ve applied to Nottingham Trent University for their Fashion Management course. Lately I’ve been starting to think it’s not what I want to do, and I’m starting to wish I chose design or fine art. (Honestly I hadn’t a proper portfolio and my teachers barely helped with my applications) I’ve payed my accommodation for NTU, so I can’t really back out now. Help me!

Hi Laoisenibhaoill,

It's never to late to decide this particular course is not the correct one for you, I would suggest looking into a foundation diploma which is a free year or doing all things design and art related depending on the one you choose to go on to. This may give you time to build up your portfolio and also understand more what direction you would like to go down.

I did a foundation course at Ravensbourne and it allowed me to gain a deeper insight into the industry I wanted to go into as well as building a stronger portfolio and feeling more prepared for the university course I was going to be doing after I finished this year, which is BA Fashion Design, not to mention it was a free year for me as well due to the fact I was 18 at the time.

I think if this is something you feel like you are interested in maybe speak to NTU to see if they have a course similar to this or if you want to go to another university or find out more information about this course Ravensbourne is a great place to start! I suggest coming to an open day and getting to see the building and also speak to the tutors about the course and what it entails in more depth in addition to explaining to them your current situation and seeing if there are any other routes possible for you to take.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best of luck doing this!

Daniella :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest