M3:SHM strings Watch

Maths&physics
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I've spent almost 2 days on this question and I still dont get it. someone has tried to explain it to me but I still do t get it.

part d,

The particle drops free fall from A to the end of its natural length, where tension begins, as well as SHM. it reached K, and begins to move back up again and it becomes slack when it reaches it's natural length 0.6.

it's amplitude is greater than its extension, but I dont know what effect that has - it should project the particle higher than it's natural length and become slack, and no longer be in SHM.

I know the time from A to 0.6 using SUVAT.

I can work out the period using w from earlier but this particle doesn't complete full shm as it surpasses it's natural length. therefore, I need to subtract a value(s) but I dont know what and why.

and please, no rude comments. I genuinely need help.
Last edited by Maths&physics; 2 months ago
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
bump
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
shouldn't the time taken away from the complete oscillation be 0.444 (amplitude) - 0.147 (extension) = 0.297? because if there was a complete oscillation, the particle would go 0.444 above the equilibrium, but the string natural length ends 0.147 after the equilibrium.
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Maths&physics)
shouldn't the time taken away from the complete oscillation be 0.444 (amplitude) - 0.147 (extension) = 0.297? because if there was a complete oscillation, the particle would go 0.444 above the equilibrium, but the string natural length ends 0.147 after the equilibrium.
What was the original question?
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
(Original post by old_engineer)
sorry, I thought that I had attached it. part d.....
Attached files
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
That's what I think is going on but in the answer, they've subtracted 0.147 twice and not 0.297.... :confused:
Attached files
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
that's what they've done
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  14.3 KB

If the motion of the particle was full SHM it would look like the left hand graph, in which the horizontal axis is set at the equilibrium position. However, the string will be slack whenever the particle is more than 0.147m above the equilibrium position. So, SHM applies between A and B as marked on the right hand graph. To find the time from A to B you can either determine the time between the two instances per cycle when the displacement is 0.147 upwards, or you can start with the duration of a complete cycle and subtract the bits at both ends when SHM does not apply.
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  14.3 KB

If the motion of the particle was full SHM it would look like the left hand graph, in which the horizontal axis is set at the equilibrium position. However, the string will be slack whenever the particle is more than 0.147m above the equilibrium position. So, SHM applies between A and B as marked on the right hand graph. To find the time from A to B you can either determine the time between the two instances per cycle when the displacement is 0.147 upwards, or you can start with the duration of a complete cycle and subtract the bits at both ends when SHM does not apply.
absolutely amazing explanation! I get it now! thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads