The Student Room Group

choosing between Italian and British universities

So, this question is mainly for anyone who tried both systems, italians who study in the UK or brits who study in Italy. In short, anyone who knows enough of both systems.

I am last year student in high school and I study medical biotechnologies (it's quite new) and I've also done an exchange year in the UK, so I know how A-level works.

I want to do neuroscience at uni, but in Italy it does exist only as a Master degree.
So, following the italian path I'd have to take 3 years of undergraduate in something like biotechnologies/biology and then finally start my 2 years master in neuroscience.
I've also applied to study in the UK, and I am probably going to firm Leeds.

I was really sure at first about my decision but now I am really struggling.
Studying in the UK would have so many benefits : I'd me more independent, I'd have time to get a part time job, longer summer holidays, much more lab hours/experience, societies, I'd meet people from all over the world and so on. (and of course I'd study neuroscience without waiting 3years)

My main doubt is: there is no doubt that in Italy we study more and we tend to have a broader approach to education, but there is also the risk of an education that becomes too focused on memorising textbooks than actually learning.
But on the other hand isn't the UK Education too focused? Will I actually need to study informatics, maths organic and analytical chemistry, botanics and ecology at university level to pursue my career as a researcher?

If yes, how are British institutions between the best in the world?
If no, why?

Thanks xx
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Sorry I’m no help (more of a nuisance actually) but I have a question...

I want to study graphic design in Italy in Milan. Since u know about the education system in Italy, what is it like going to uni there?
Reply 2
Original post by _WOLF_
Sorry I’m no help (more of a nuisance actually) but I have a question...

I want to study graphic design in Italy in Milan. Since u know about the education system in Italy, what is it like going to uni there?

I know very little about design in particular, so I'll focus more on general aspects of it.
We usually have big lectures with many people, so the professor won't know the students personally and we don't get tutorials. Furthermore, in the Uk I believe that coursework and essays are graded and have an impact on your final grade, while here you are assessed just via exams, which can be either written or oral examinations. (I don't know if for artistic courses they value your practical work too). In general we don't have that sense of community at university: we don't have societies, maybe a few football teams, in general uni is just where you study! On the other hand, we are very prepared academically speaking (but we lack on practical experience/skills) and uni is very cheap (unless you go to a private uni).

Were are you thinking of going to? (I have no idea where there is graphic design taught in English)
Reply 3
Original post by iiilly
I know very little about design in particular, so I'll focus more on general aspects of it.
We usually have big lectures with many people, so the professor won't know the students personally and we don't get tutorials. Furthermore, in the Uk I believe that coursework and essays are graded and have an impact on your final grade, while here you are assessed just via exams, which can be either written or oral examinations. (I don't know if for artistic courses they value your practical work too). In general we don't have that sense of community at university: we don't have societies, maybe a few football teams, in general uni is just where you study! On the other hand, we are very prepared academically speaking (but we lack on practical experience/skills) and uni is very cheap (unless you go to a private uni).

Were are you thinking of going to? (I have no idea where there is graphic design taught in English)

I have found two private unis in Milan called NABA and IED. They both have courses in English so i will be applying. I want to get out of England as soon as I can cause I hate this country 😛
Reply 4
Original post by _WOLF_
I have found two private unis in Milan called NABA and IED. They both have courses in English so i will be applying. I want to get out of England as soon as I can cause I hate this country 😛

Oh I know them! They're both good and NABA is really new and they're private so what I said may not apply to them

Quick Reply

Latest