Do you need Mathamatics in A-Level to take a Computer Science degree?

Watch
dajeti6444
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
So basically I love CS(computer science) its my best subject and I really want to do it for A-Level as well as a degree, and land a job after. In GCSE all my grades are pretty good, my best subjects are Physics, CS, and English Lit and Language. For A-Level I will go to my schools sixth form and I chose 3 A Levels, CS, English Lang/Lit, and Biology, reserves I picked Economics and Physics. The problem is, I started to search around in Uni sites and found out that most CS courses require Mathematics A-Level, and that they would choose someone with Maths A-Level over you. In some cases even not consider someone with no A-Level Maths. Now problem is, I'm sure my school would not mind me changing Biology for Maths, but even though I enjoy Maths a lot, I'm not good at it. You see I'm doing the foundation paper, which really ticks me off as I thought I was decent at maths, so now all I can get is a 5/C in Maths max, as its foundation. This is a problem as my school (and other schools in the area) require a 7/A in Maths GCSE to do it for A-Level. I enjoy Maths and I am being serious, I always found the Maths foundation stuff extremely easy but I cant move up. I'm in year 11, when I was in year 8 my Maths teacher talked about moving me up, but he kinda left it and some students who moved up to higher and came back down all said it was difficult as hell. I dont want to say anything by this, but even though they said that, I think that I would be able to do it and maybe reach a 6/B, which some Uni's accept. Problem is though now I think its too late as I'm in Easter revising and I have exactly 30 days left till my exams, so it's too late. Even if I was to ask my teacher, I would seriously feel embarrassed and kinda stupid for even considering this late. So here I am, asking for serious advice as I am really stuck. I was **** at CS in year 10, got a 3/D in the MOCKS, but in year 11 I went after school every single day with my old teacher till in the new MOCKS, I got a 6/B, now I am predicted a 7/A in the real thing. I really want to do CS as a degree but my Maths right now is failing me, if anyone could help I would really appreciate it, Many Thanks.
quirky editor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Ask your school to enter you for the higher paper if its not too late.With a CS A Level you may be ok.
dajeti6444
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by quirky editor)
Ask your school to enter you for the higher paper if its not too late.With a CS A Level you may be ok.
Not a bad idea, but after Easter revision, it will be the 23rd of April, so then I would have 17 days left till my GCSE'S, if by a miracle they do accept me in for the Higher paper, I would have to learn what the Higher paper learns, and idk if I can do that for 17 days.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (216)
52.3%
No, they should still go ahead (58)
14.04%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (139)
33.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed