Surrey, Manchester or Bristol Uni for Economics (and Finance) to get into banking? Watch

Con987
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm in year 13, and am about to start my final exams and I'm choosing university option.
I'm looking to go into a career in finance and believe that banking would be a great first job.

I have offers from: Surrey (unconditional if i put it as my firm, or AAB if not firm), Manchester (AAB including maths) and Bristol (AAA including maths).

I would be doing Economics at Manchester, but Finance at Bristol and Surrey.

1) I am unsure as to weather ill get the required grades for Bristol and wondered how lenient they are with grades. can anyone answer this?

2) Is Bristol better than Surrey for getting into Banking? - p.s. Surrey offers a placement year which is very good, so this could be an advantage for surrey, but Bristol has the Prestige.

3) How much do Investment banks care about the prestige of the university you attend (e.g. Bristol over Surrey)

Answer any question you like , this would be a great help, thanks
gelle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You don’t need to go to uni to do banking it’s probably one of the biggest wastes of time. Do an apprenticeship, Santander runs a degree apprenticeship in corporate and commercial banking applications still may be open. barclays have some apprenticeships. Degree apprenticeships not only do you get your uni paid for but you get a job in banking. A lot of top companies prefer apprentices nowadays because they have on the job experience and are comfortable in the sector applying their learning whilst working.

But if you want to go to uni definitely, look up the rankings for “Banking” and the teaching qualification loom for TEF - Gold and there you’ll have it - the best educationally ranked university for banking

Good luck
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by graceelle)
You don’t need to go to uni to do banking it’s probably one of the biggest wastes of time. Do an apprenticeship, Santander runs a degree apprenticeship in corporate and commercial banking applications still may be open. barclays have some apprenticeships. Degree apprenticeships not only do you get your uni paid for but you get a job in banking. A lot of top companies prefer apprentices nowadays because they have on the job experience and are comfortable in the sector applying their learning whilst working.

But if you want to go to uni definitely, look up the rankings for “Banking” and the teaching qualification loom for TEF - Gold and there you’ll have it - the best educationally ranked university for banking

Good luck
You’ll probably have better chances and more opportunities at uni then applying for apprenticeships
gelle
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Professional G)
You’ll probably have better chances and more opportunities at uni then applying for apprenticeships
Very true, universities won’t ever back down from collecting £9,250 from you. It depends on your career passion if you truly want to excel and have a career in banking. If you want the ease and the university life then apply to uni it requires less effort and you’re treated and educated to the same level as the thousands of other studying Banking at University.
Con987
Rep:
?
(Original post by Professional G)
Yeh, I defiantly agree with that, but i'm really only considering universities at the moment. Thanks for the quick reply!
Con987
Rep:
?

Good luck
Thanks for the advice (and quick reply !)

I was more looking at going into Investment banking rather than commercial/ retail. Do you have any more advice on this?

Thanks Again
Infinite Series
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Good luck
The OP is referencing Investment Banking which is VERY different to commercial banks, and most students who apply to Investment Banks are aiming for the Front Office (FO) roles, as that's where the highest salaries are. Apprenticeships will give you almost no chance when applying for FO roles, but there are opportunities to work in the back office with an apprenticeship.

"You don’t need to go to uni to do banking it’s probably one of the biggest wastes of time"- That's a complete lie for Investment Banks. You're correct that apprenticeships are favoured in some sectors, but certainly NOT in the incredibly competitive Investment Banking industry.
(Original post by Con987)
I'm in year 13, and am about to start my final exams and I'm choosing university option.
I'm looking to go into a career in finance and believe that banking would be a great first job.

I have offers from: Surrey (unconditional if i put it as my firm, or AAB if not firm), Manchester (AAB including maths) and Bristol (AAA including maths).

I would be doing Economics at Manchester, but Finance at Bristol and Surrey.

1) I am unsure as to weather ill get the required grades for Bristol and wondered how lenient they are with grades. can anyone answer this?

2) Is Bristol better than Surrey for getting into Banking? - p.s. Surrey offers a placement year which is very good, so this could be an advantage for surrey, but Bristol has the Prestige.

3) How much do Investment banks care about the prestige of the university you attend (e.g. Bristol over Surrey)

Answer any question you like , this would be a great help, thanks
I don't know about how lenient the other unis are, but I know 2 people who've got into Finance at Bristol with 1 grade off their conditional offers. Bristol and Manchester are semi-target unis, but on Linkedin I've seen more students from Bristol getting Spring Week offers from Investment Banks than those from Manchester. I'd put Surrey after the other two.

If you're clever enough then you can certainly utilise Bristol/Manchester's reputation to secure placement offers in your third year! So that Surrey's placement offer isn't that important.

Investment Banks care a lot about prestige; I've heard that some banks filter applicants by university names- only consider your application if you're from a certain uni (e.g a target uni like LSE or a Semi-target like Bristol). This is obvious as certain unis have a lot more successful applicants than others.
Con987
Rep:
?
(Original post by Infinite Series)
The OP is referencing Investment Banking which is VERY different to commercial banks, and most students who apply to Investment Banks are aiming for the Front Office (FO) roles, as that's where the highest salaries are. Apprenticeships will give you almost no chance when applying for FO roles, but there are opportunities to work in the back office with an apprenticeship.

"You don’t need to go to uni to do banking it’s probably one of the biggest wastes of time"- That's a complete lie for Investment Banks. You're correct that apprenticeships are favoured in some sectors, but certainly NOT in the incredibly competitive Investment Banking industry.

I don't know about how lenient the other unis are, but I know 2 people who've got into Finance at Bristol with 1 grade off their conditional offers. Bristol and Manchester are semi-target unis, but on Linkedin I've seen more students from Bristol getting Spring Week offers from Investment Banks than those from Manchester. I'd put Surrey after the other two.

If you're clever enough then you can certainly utilise Bristol/Manchester's reputation to secure placement offers in your third year! So that Surrey's placement offer isn't that important.

Investment Banks care a lot about prestige; I've heard that some banks filter applicants by university names- only consider your application if you're from a certain uni (e.g a target uni like LSE or a Semi-target like Bristol). This is obvious as certain unis have a lot more successful applicants than others.
This answer was very useful and well though out, thank you so much!!!

Yes I am aiming for a Front Office (FO) role at an investment bank, requiring a university degree in nearly all cases- sorry for not being so explicit in my OP.

Question: when you said "I know 2 people who've got into Finance at Bristol", did you mean an Accounting and Finance degree, rather than a straight "Finance" degree?

I am working below my targets at the moment unfortunately ...Both Geography & Economics (A/ high B) and Maths (grade C/ B). I am determined to improve maths drastically so I can get into Bristol. Is there still a chance?
Infinite Series
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
This answer was very useful and well though out, thank you so much!!!

Yes I am aiming for a Front Office (FO) role at an investment bank, requiring a university degree in nearly all cases- sorry for not being so explicit in my OP.

Question: when you said "I know 2 people who've got into Finance at Bristol", did you mean an Accounting and Finance degree, rather than a straight "Finance" degree?

I am working below my targets at the moment unfortunately ...Both Geography & Economics (A/ high B) and Maths (grade C/ B). I am determined to improve maths drastically so I can get into Bristol. Is there still a chance?
Both of them applied for BSc Finance at Bristol in 2018- one had 4A*s at GCSE and the other 7A*s. So these strong GCSEs had probably saved them.

You can't expect me to predict what grades you'll get in your A-Levels, but if you've got more than 4A*s at GCSE and only miss out your Bristol offer by 1 grade then I think they'll still take you.

You've still got enough time to change everything and reach for those top grades, so make the most out of your Easter holidays and study leave. If you're working hard enough, then you can even surpass Bristol's entry requirements- Stay positive
Last edited by Infinite Series; 6 months ago
Con987
Rep:
?
Both of them applied for BSc Finance at Bristol in 2018- one had 4A*s at GCSE and the other 7A*s. So these strong GCSEs had probably saved them.

You can't expect me to predict what grades you'll get in your A-Levels, but if you've got more than 4A*s at GCSE and only miss out your Bristol offer by 1 grade then I think they'll still take you.

You've still got enough time to change everything and reach for those top grades, so make the most out of your Easter holidays and study leave. If you're working hard enough, then you can even surpass Bristol's entry requirements- Stay positive
Thank you again for your amazing and inspirational advice, I will take it on-board !
gelle
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Oh my mistake did not notice the investment banking in particular
gelle
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thanks for the advice (and quick reply !)

I was more looking at going into Investment banking rather than commercial/ retail. Do you have any more advice on this?

Thanks Again
Considering you’re interested in Investment Banking I know of no apprenticeships in that sector due to the fact that you are learning a lot of theory and methodology that is entailed in Investment banking.

First steps are to look at if any of those universities offers you programmes such as the chartered financial analyst one who are affiliated with reading university OR getting onto something like that during your uni time.

2. Not worry about your uni any uni that is offering you a place the ones you mentioned sound quite good - Manchester especially as it ranks higher than the others internationally. AND get a placement year or do an internship alongside such as in Finance, Financial analyst or in Risk. Risk is very key component in investment banking as any investment is a risk.

3. Get as much experience as you can. Due to the fact not many unis offer investment banking as a stand alone course proves that it’s a career needing a lot of different and transferable skills in which you can ideally get from a finance and economics degree. Do work experience, internships and get as much hard experience as you can.

Best of luck
Con987
Rep:
?
Considering you’re interested in Investment Banking I know of no apprenticeships in that sector due to the fact that you are learning a lot of theory and methodology that is entailed in Investment banking.

First steps are to look at if any of those universities offers you programmes such as the chartered financial analyst one who are affiliated with reading university OR getting onto something like that during your uni time.

2. Not worry about your uni any uni that is offering you a place the ones you mentioned sound quite good - Manchester especially as it ranks higher than the others internationally. AND get a placement year or do an internship alongside such as in Finance, Financial analyst or in Risk. Risk is very key component in investment banking as any investment is a risk.

3. Get as much experience as you can. Due to the fact not many unis offer investment banking as a stand alone course proves that it’s a career needing a lot of different and transferable skills in which you can ideally get from a finance and economics degree. Do work experience, internships and get as much hard experience as you can.

Best of luck
Thanks again, this was really helpful. I'll try to get more work experience, but that's quite difficult in year 13. I've so far worked in a commercial bank and a private equity firm. I don't unfortunately have any others planned for this summer.

Unfortunately, only Surrey Uni offers a placement year, which is why I really liked Surrey. Two people even got Goldman Sachs and JP morgan internships last year from Surrey!

Thanks for the Advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25.41%
No (91)
74.59%

Watched Threads