KirstyMc13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'd like to know what students at Staffordshire think of living there? Does the area feel safe? Some have implied that it may be rough. Do you venture into Stoke or mainly stay within the university? Many thanks with any advice you may have.
Jessicaroseee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It’s not as bad as people think. I’m coming towards the end of my second year and there’s nothing out of the ordinary happening danger-wise. Around the uni itself is usually fine, if anything remotely dangerous happens we get issued and email and campus security are about. Going into Hanley it’s nothing too bad, it’s like any town really, a bit run down and the odd rough-looking people but the vast majority are really nice and friendly. I was surprised myself as I’d heard it was dog rough, but it’s really not that bad. If anything, Stoke is rather boring 😂
(Original post by KirstyMc13)
I'd like to know what students at Staffordshire think of living there? Does the area feel safe? Some have implied that it may be rough. Do you venture into Stoke or mainly stay within the university? Many thanks with any advice you may have.
KirstyMc13
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jessicaroseee)
It’s not as bad as people think. I’m coming towards the end of my second year and there’s nothing out of the ordinary happening danger-wise. Around the uni itself is usually fine, if anything remotely dangerous happens we get issued and email and campus security are about. Going into Hanley it’s nothing too bad, it’s like any town really, a bit run down and the odd rough-looking people but the vast majority are really nice and friendly. I was surprised myself as I’d heard it was dog rough, but it’s really not that bad. If anything, Stoke is rather boring 😂
Thank you for your reply. I'd heard bad things too but your reply is very encouraging and reassuring. Thanks again.
StaffsUniMaxie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey!

I'm currently in my third year at the Stoke campus and I had the exact same worries when I was starting. I've personally never felt unsafe in Stoke. I've walked around all areas in night and day and have never felt any less safe than in my hometown (which is a tiny, country tourist town).

The university quarter is definitely where most people feel the most safe. It's well monitored and most of the people who live around the area are students. Hanley is a bit 'rougher', but only in the way that it's more busy. It's pretty much like any large town/small city shopping sector you'll have been it. The only reason to feel spooked in Hanley is that sometimes the pigeons get overly friendly and try to steal your food ahahahah

There's usually stuff said about the side of stoke that's across the Queensway from the uni, because it's far less student-centric. But my partner lives there so I spend a lot of my time over there. And again, just like the outskirts of any small city. They do, however, have a really good Wetherspoons there, and a fab japanese restaurant! 😍

And, if you do get spooked, or something does happen near your house, campus security and the on-site police officer are only a phone call away.

So yeah; if you don't feel unsafe in most small cities, you probably won't in Stoke.

Hope this helps!

- Gee
KirstyMc13
Rep:
?
Thank you for replying to my question. Your answer is really helpful and its looking likely I'll be choosing Staffordshire. The course and lecturers at Staffordshire seem better than the other uni's I have visited so I'm really trying to check out if there are any negative about living there. Thanks again!
StaffsUniMaxie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thank you for replying to my question. Your answer is really helpful and its looking likely I'll be choosing Staffordshire. The course and lecturers at Staffordshire seem better than the other uni's I have visited so I'm really trying to check out if there are any negative about living there. Thanks again!
It's great to hear that you're looking to choose Staffs atm!

As for negatives, that really depends on what you want to get out of a uni town .For me, I grew up in the countryside, so being near fields and greenery was my priority (whilst still being close enough to a town to order McDonald's ahaha) so Stoke fit that perfectly. But if you want a super big-city always-busy kinda feel it wouldn't fit so well. So yeah, definitely depends what you're looking for.

But as I said, safety wise (in my experience) - not an issue at all. <3

- Gee
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi KirstyMc13

We're glad to hear Staffs is still an option for you

Please give us a shout if we can help with anything else.

Thanks

Amy
Demetri_g
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey, do u know anyone that is still looking for accommodation for next year? I have a room that I need to fill so please send them my way if you do 🙂 Thanks!

-Large bedroom in a 3 bed house, front upstairs room.
-Near campus, 15 Watford Street
-1st September 2019- 30th June 2020 (10 months)
-£374 per month (ALL bills included)
Please msg me for more info
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery - Shrewsbury campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
    All except Paramedic Science, Midwifery and Paramedic Science - Stoke campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
    Nursing and Midwifery, Operating Department Practice and Paramedic courses - Stafford campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Nov '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (8)
7.08%
They might tell the bully (15)
13.27%
I don't think they'd understand (19)
16.81%
It might lead to more bullying (39)
34.51%
There's nothing they could do (32)
28.32%

Watched Threads