SmartUnicorn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My teacher was telling me about something called 'mrs vandertramp verbs' that there is special rules for. does anyone know anything about it, how would you learn them, how do they work? Thankyou
goldilocks12
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In French in the perfect tense most verbs take the verb avoir as the auxiliary verb (eg. They use part of avoir and the past participle). This could be used in a sentence like j’ai travaillé - I worked.
The Mrs Van Der Tramp verbs are exceptions and take être in the perfect. You can find the list online if you look it up. Mrs Van Der Tramp is a mnemonic to help remember them. These verbs also need their past participles to agree with the subject to you need to add an ‘e’ for feminine subject and an ‘s’ for plural ones. For example, je suis allé - I went (masculine subject) or je suis allée - I went (feminine subject).
I’d recommend the website languages online for some practice of forming and recognising the perfect tense - both of être and avoir verbs
jemima0103
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dr. Mrs. Vandertramp as a Mnemonic Device
Dr. Mrs. Vandertramp is a mnemonic device used to remember which verbs are conjugated with être as opposed to avoir in the passé composé. These are the verbs that are associated with the mnemonic:

Devenir (to become)
Revenir (to come back)

Monter (to go up)
Retourner (to return)
Sortir (to go out)

Venir (to come)
Aller (to go)
Naître (to be born)
Descendre (to go down)
Entrer (to enter)
Rentrer (to go home/to return)
Tomber (to fall)
Rester (to remain)
Arriver (to arrive)
Mourir (to die)
Partir (to leave)

https://www.fluentu.com/blog/french/...ertramp-verbs/
SmartUnicorn
Rep:
?
(Original post by goldilocks12)
In French in the perfect tense most verbs take the verb avoir as the auxiliary verb (eg. They use part of avoir and the past participle). This could be used in a sentence like j’ai travaillé - I worked.
The Mrs Van Der Tramp verbs are exceptions and take être in the perfect. You can find the list online if you look it up. Mrs Van Der Tramp is a mnemonic to help remember them. These verbs also need their past participles to agree with the subject to you need to add an ‘e’ for feminine subject and an ‘s’ for plural ones. For example, je suis allé - I went (masculine subject) or je suis allée - I went (feminine subject).
I’d recommend the website languages online for some practice of forming and recognising the perfect tense - both of être and avoir verbs
Thankyou so much !!!
SmartUnicorn
Rep:
?
(Original post by jemima0103)
Dr. Mrs. Vandertramp as a Mnemonic Device
Dr. Mrs. Vandertramp is a mnemonic device used to remember which verbs are conjugated with être as opposed to avoir in the passé composé. These are the verbs that are associated with the mnemonic:

Devenir (to become)
Revenir (to come back)

Monter (to go up)
Retourner (to return)
Sortir (to go out)

Venir (to come)
Aller (to go)
Naître (to be born)
Descendre (to go down)
Entrer (to enter)
Rentrer (to go home/to return)
Tomber (to fall)
Rester (to remain)
Arriver (to arrive)
Mourir (to die)
Partir (to leave)

https://www.fluentu.com/blog/french/...ertramp-verbs/
Thankyou this is so helpful!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
9.64%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (54)
65.06%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (12)
14.46%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (8)
9.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.2%

Watched Threads