Im scared of uni because im gay Watch

domoddy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello everyone
Im from Poland and im going to study in the UK. My the biggest fear is my sexuality. As you probably know poland is very untolerant, i had to hide who im to avoid being beaten etc. I have mixed feelings right now because im afraid it may happen the same what happens in my country, i mean untolerant and violence towards me. Im just ''normal'' bi dude, im 19, i love socialize with other people and also love having fun with alcohol and parties, im just sociable guy and im always help other when they need it, generally im good boy but im scared that i'll exclusioned from others because im into other guys. I wear plain clotches, dont wear make up, hitting gym, love sport etc.
Here are some uni i might attend:
London Metropolitan,Hertfordshire,Ports mouth,Coventry
dont hestitate to tell me what are the most gay friendly unis
thanks for answering
sinfonietta
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
University is generally one of the most accepting places you'll ever go to. The LGBT+ societies in UK universities are fantastic and work closely with the student association. Hate speech is not tolerated.

I was actually the LGBT+ womens rep for my college one year and had the opportunity to meet reps from other colleges and unis all over the country. :yep:
Jack22031994
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by domoddy)
Hello everyone
Im from Poland and im going to study in the UK. My the biggest fear is my sexuality. As you probably know poland is very untolerant, i had to hide who im to avoid being beaten etc. I have mixed feelings right now because im afraid it may happen the same what happens in my country, i mean untolerant and violence towards me. Im just ''normal'' bi dude, im 19, i love socialize with other people and also love having fun with alcohol and parties, im just sociable guy and im always help other when they need it, generally im good boy but im scared that i'll exclusioned from others because im into other guys. I wear plain clotches, dont wear make up, hitting gym, love sport etc.
thanks for answering
I would like to think they are all 'gay-friendly' as I would be surprised if there is a uni in the UK that does have an LGBT Society.

The University of Brighton though if you would want a name, Brighton has one of the largest LGBT Communities in the UK and is sometimes referred to as the 'Gay Capital' of the UK.

Overall though, all unis will be gay-friendly
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
everyone in uni is gay
Hello everyone
thanks for answering
University of Hertfordshire
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi domoddy

At Herts we are diverse, we welcome people from different backgrounds, countries and culture! We promote a safe and inclusive ethos and environment for people of all sexual orientations! We also boast a very inclusive LGBT+ society, which you can sign up to here. There is various support available for students and staff too from the Equality office and Wellbeing Centre all year round. We have introduced various gender-neutral toilets around campus to promote equality, we also passionately celebrate LGBT+ History month. With such a diverse range of support and opportunities available, we hope Herts will meet your expectation. We are certain you will have a great time, meet like-minded peers at socials and have a wonderful university experience!

Let us know if you'd like further information on anything, we are always at hand to help

Best wishes,
Chirasree
Hello everyone
thanks for answering
University of Portsmouth
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi domoddy

Please don't be scared!

Here at Portsmouth much like University of Hertfordshire we have a diverse student base. We have students from all over the world, with different sexual preferences, cultures, religions, beliefs and much more! We promote a safe, open, supportive and inclusive environment for all of our students and staff members too!

We have an LGBT+ society. This is where a group of our students get together to raise awareness of the issues facing the LGBT+ community, and provide a place for everyone to get to know each other and have fun! You can ask some of our current students who are in the LGBT+ society questions by emailing [email protected]. They will be glad to hear from you and happy to put your mind at ease. We also have numerous sport societies that you can join, its a great way to make new friends. Which sports are you most interested in?

We have also just announced that we will be sponsoring Portsmouth Pride this year, which is a big event in support of our local LGBT+ community in Portsmouth. You can see more about it here https://portsmouthpride.co.uk/about

Hope this has helped put your mind at ease!

Alex - UoP Rep
Hello everyone
thanks for answering
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello everyone
thanks for answering
Lol, worry not, most unis here in the UK are very accepting (and so are most students). You will have an amazing time, believe me. I did.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads