The Student Room Group

Is it worth becoming a vet after a zoology degree?

So my dream has always to become a vet and work with animals but when it came to applying to university I didn't have the relevant work experience and my grades weren't high enough. I decided to do zoology because I have always been interested in that as well and could imagine myself working in that field of science. However I have still been thinking about the possibility of becoming a vet and was wondering if it was worth the extra 4-5 years?

I will graduate with a masters degree and hopefully with a 2:1 and I now have some relevant experience volunteering in animal shelters and zoos. I know its incredibly expensive for a second degree and it is very competitive but I think it would be better in the long run.

Is it worth at least just applying and trying to get in? Or do I have no chance?

Also if anyone is familiar with the Scottish finance, i'm from Scotland and I have studied my first zoology degree in Wales so would I still be eligible for free funding for a second degree in Scotland since I haven't studied there yet? That would save a whole lot of money 😂
It's absolutely worth applying if you want to be a vet, as long as you meet the criteria there is no reason you wouldn't have a chance and you seem to be aware of the pitfalls of graduate entry in terms of the finance.

Volunteering in animal shelters and zoos is a good start but since you will need to do some more work experience before applying, I would suggest starting with some vet practices to make sure it is actually what you want before going any further!
Thank you so much! I was thinking of doing a couple of months volunteering in a vet practice before I apply. I think I will apply and see what happens, it would be amazing if I got in but it wouldn't be the end of the world because I already have a degree and a career plan.

Might as well try whats the worst that could happen 😂

Original post by Popsicle_pirate
It's absolutely worth applying if you want to be a vet, as long as you meet the criteria there is no reason you wouldn't have a chance and you seem to be aware of the pitfalls of graduate entry in terms of the finance.

Volunteering in animal shelters and zoos is a good start but since you will need to do some more work experience before applying, I would suggest starting with some vet practices to make sure it is actually what you want before going any further!
Reply 3
Is it possible to become a vet after finishing a zoology degree?
(edited 5 years ago)
Absolutely, it is a very common degree to have done before applying for veterinary medicine (although the grad route is especially challenging and going in to the undergraduate degree from school is usually the preferred option).

Original post by _zayd_
Is it possible to become a vet after finishing a zoology degree?
Reply 5
Im starting a zoology degree this September and I’m struggling to see any decently paid jobs after finishing, most jobs are voluntary and have almost nothing to do with actual research.
There are loads of jobs to do after a zoology degree but like in any other degree you need to work your way up. If you want to be making some money quick you can always work in a zoo but usually you need to do some voluntary research jobs or expeditions before you start making a nice amount of money. Youre probably not going to make loads of money doing a zoology degree but you would know this before picking to study it but you are going to be able to travel the world working on jobs you are passionate about.

My dream is to do vet med but its so expensive its not possible for me to go into a vet med course straight after uni. I think i might take a couple years out after i finish my degree and get some experience and if i haven't found a perfect job or dont have jobs lined up i'll try to get into vet med school.
Original post by _zayd_
Im starting a zoology degree this September and I’m struggling to see any decently paid jobs after finishing, most jobs are voluntary and have almost nothing to do with actual research.
What draws you to a career in veterinary medicine? Have you spent time in a veterinary practice? There is a high attrition rate of vets at the moment - you need to make sure it is worth it for you. You will need work experience in farms, equine and at vet practices (ideally small and large) to get a good breath of experience Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending