The Student Room Group

Is a £1.25 stamp 1st or 2nd class?

I sent my passport with a £1.25 stamp on Monday morning and it still hasn't arrived. Is this normal? I am worried because I think £1.25 stamps are 1st class which means it should have arrived Tuesday... Is my passport lost???
Original post by Anonymous
I sent my passport with a £1.25 stamp on Monday morning and it still hasn't arrived. Is this normal? I am worried because I think £1.25 stamps are 1st class which means it should have arrived Tuesday... Is my passport lost???

It has something like a 93% arrival chance of next working day. You should have sent it registered post, so someone signed for it. As it is, then I expect it arrived today and it may take them a while to sort through the mail. Who did you send it to that you are able to check so quickly.

I am not sure it was first class it depends on weight. If it was letter weight then I expect it was. Normally the post office works out the exact weight and postage costs.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
It has something like a 93% arrival chance of next working day. You should have sent it registered post, so someone signed for it. As it is, then I expect it arrived today and it may take them a while to sort through the mail. Who did you send it to that you are able to check so quickly.

I am not sure it was first class it depends on weight. If it was letter weight then I expect it was. Normally the post office works out the exact weight and postage costs.

It must be lost then... I sent it to HM Passport Office which text you when they receive it. I haven't heard back from them yet and it's been 3 days now, I'm really worried... I just sent it using a post box, not the post office. Do you think it's lost?
It must be lost then... I sent it to HM Passport Office which text you when they receive it. I haven't heard back from them yet and it's been 3 days now, I'm really worried... I just sent it using a post box, not the post office. Do you think it's lost?

did you apply for a new passport
It can also take a few days for the text to come through and they dont always text. I know mine was recieved the day before as i sent it recorded and got a text a good 28 hours after this so dont worry its probably just taking a while to get through all mail.

For important documents like your passport, I would have recommended getting it sent at the Post Office recorded delivery so it is easier to track and you know when the HM Passport Office has received it. Sending it through the letter box doesn't do that. I would wait a few more days and then get into contact with the HM Passport Office.
No, this is PATRICK!
Reply 7
Original post by Big kaks og
did you apply for a new passport

yes
Reply 8
Original post by Emma1999_
It can also take a few days for the text to come through and they dont always text. I know mine was recieved the day before as i sent it recorded and got a text a good 28 hours after this so dont worry its probably just taking a while to get through all mail.

i hope so... although i ordered a passport just last week and it only took 1 day for it to arrive. im having to do it all over again because i damaged my passport and this is all so stressful...
Reply 9
Original post by cheesecakelove
For important documents like your passport, I would have recommended getting it sent at the Post Office recorded delivery so it is easier to track and you know when the HM Passport Office has received it. Sending it through the letter box doesn't do that. I would wait a few more days and then get into contact with the HM Passport Office.

The passport office will text me when it gets there. Does using the post office decrease the chances of it getting lost? otherwise it should be the same i hope
I think it varies depending on the office you sent it . Just relax for today and ring tomorrow and say have you received it. If not then give it a few more days then contact the royal mail. Do you have a receipt/certificate of posting i believe it isnt a lot but you can claim some money back if they have lost it.
i hope so... although i ordered a passport just last week and it only took 1 day for it to arrive. im having to do it all over again because i damaged my passport and this is all so stressful...
Original post by Emma1999_
I think it varies depending on the office you sent it . Just relax for today and ring tomorrow and say have you received it. If not then give it a few more days then contact the royal mail. Do you have a receipt/certificate of posting i believe it isnt a lot but you can claim some money back if they have lost it.

no this is a damaged passport that i was returning so i just chucked it in the postbox, i dont want any claims back i just want my new passport that i ordered, which wont be made until they receive my old one :/
Try not to stress im sure it is somewhere. If its not you can fill in a new application or ring them and put it has lost they will cancel it so it cant be used and then should send it you from there
no this is a damaged passport that i was returning so i just chucked it in the postbox, i dont want any claims back i just want my new passport that i ordered, which wont be made until they receive my old one :/
You probably should've sent it via the post office because they can check how much it'll cost to send given it's size and weight.

If you put it in an envelope and put a stamp on it, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a letter and you may find you were supposed to pay more than £1.25 to send it, in which case it won't be delivered, although I'm not sure that's the case here.
The passport office will text me when it gets there. Does using the post office decrease the chances of it getting lost? otherwise it should be the same i hope

In my opinion, using the post office ensures that you pay the correct postage, and you can also choose to send by recorded delivery. This means that somebody at the Passport Office will sign for it when they receive it. I think you can also check to see if they have received it on the Royal Mail website.

Otherwise, if you have sent your passport with the correct postage and address via the postbox, it should hopefully arrive. Although 1st class should be next working day, there are cases where it can be delivered later, and there may also be delays when processing your passport at the Passport Office. Wait a few more days to see if they give you a notification.
Send it via special delivery in future. That ways it's guarenteed to get there 1pm next day and you can track where it is online.

I think you are in a panic and should be patient. Wait till next Monday or ring the passport helpline. Its always worth paying the small additional fee for signed for delivery. Think recorded will do. They could just be taking time to process. If it does turn out to be lost then you just report it lost, but I think its too early to say.
Reply 17

£1.25? A standard first class stamp is 70p!

You won't receive any indication that your passport has been received until it's processed, which takes a while - remember, this is the busiest period for HMPO as many people are applying for passports to go on holiday for summer.
Original post by IWMTom
£1.25? A standard first class stamp is 70p!

You won't receive any indication that your passport has been received until it's processed, which takes a while - remember, this is the busiest period for HMPO as many people are applying for passports to go on holiday for summer.

I got a passport last week and it only took 1 day :/
Reply 19
I got a passport last week and it only took 1 day :/

So you used the fast track scheme...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending