Dirty Flatmates

Watch this thread
Bcustu
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I’m a January starter in uni and live in student accommodation with three other girls.
When we first moved in I was the only person cleaning through the month of January and beginning of February. If I didn’t clean the kitchen and hallway it wouldn’t be cleaned at all, so I decided to stop and the mess began piling up from there. I have an okay relationship with the girls and I really do get along with them all but two are disgustingly messy and barely clean after themselves in the kitchen. We’ve had kitchen inspections and obviously our kitchen isn’t up to par which means they’re threatening to get cleaners in and we’d have to pay for them. I’ve brought this up several times to them and have said how stressed I am about it cause I’m very tight for money at the moment. But they don’t seem to care at all and even when they said they would clean their mess the following day they never follow through. They spend most of their time in the kitchen and can be quite hostile at times making it difficult to bring up the state of the kitchen. I’m a very nervous person when it comes to bringing up serious issues like this and I’m wary on one specific girl who is quite conformational. I wanted to start a router but was shot down and she said “we can just clean after ourselves” but this never happened. Please could people recommend ways to go about this without cause any arguments or drama and also without calling them dirty as they are very defensive about their mess.
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
The more blunt about it you are the easier it’ll be. Don’t hint it or try and beat around the bush, just say “who’s mess is this? I can stand it sometimes but this is just ridiculous” if someone is hostile you can change that by making them comfortable and the only way to do that is to be confident, open and blunt.

Or you could just report them and tell them to send an email saying a member of staff saw the state of the kitchen and will be checking often to maintain a good standard
username2013595
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Be passive or straight up.
You can report it to your accommodation saying be names of who is making the mess who can act on it by coming in to do inspections and obviously express to them that you’re quite a nervous person and have been trying to get them to cooperate - failingly, or if you have receptionists at your accommodation you can ask them. If you’re nervous there’s no need to add extra anxiety to yourself by confronting them.

However, you can write up a note and leave it in the kitchen/ on the kitchen door/ fridge
OR you can just call a meeting with them and ask them to just simply clean up their mess.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (223)
42.31%
The paper was reasonable (226)
42.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.11%
It was TERRIBLE (30)
5.69%

Watched Threads