The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

The Forge / Elements Sheffield Hallam

I've put Sheffield Hallam down as my firm for September and I've got an accommodation offer from the forge. However, I started reading people's reviews once I got it just so I could be sure I wanted to go there and they all seemed to be pretty bad and now I'm worried. I phoned the uni and they said there's still time for me to switch to the elements (my second choice) but that would mean rejecting the forge and I don't want to do that if I don't have to. I'd be in block A on the third floor but I can't remember the exact number (I think it was A328?) so if anyone has any recent experience there please let me know as a lot of the reviews of the forge are pretty old and therefore kinda unreliable. Thanks!
I have just booked my place at the forge, block A on the fourth floor! I looked round and I thought it was very nice as far as uni accomodation goes, the rooms were big, 3/4 bed, and lots of storage!! I have also heard from others that the forge is the most sociable, and I prefered that to the elememets as the elements felt more like a hotel to me as it was high and skinny!! If yu could go and see it that would be great but I would say it was bad!!
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by dancingalevel
I have just booked my place at the forge, block A on the fourth floor! I looked round and I thought it was very nice as far as uni accomodation goes, the rooms were big, 3/4 bed, and lots of storage!! I have also heard from others that the forge is the most sociable, and I prefered that to the elememets as the elements felt more like a hotel to me as it was high and skinny!! If yu could go and see it that would be great but I would say it was bad!!

Yeah I did go on the open day and loved it for the same reasons as you. It's just that you can't always trust open days for what it /actually/ will be like. I read that the company that owns it is pretty dodgy, and that's what worried me. I might be overthinking things, though. Thanks for replying, it's nice to know someone else who will be there!
Original post by EmmaCharlottex
Yeah I did go on the open day and loved it for the same reasons as you. It's just that you can't always trust open days for what it /actually/ will be like. I read that the company that owns it is pretty dodgy, and that's what worried me. I might be overthinking things, though. Thanks for replying, it's nice to know someone else who will be there!

No, I know what you mean!! I I mean, I obviously can't say from experience but the students i spoke to who live there didnt make it sound awful ahah and I have downloaded the UNITE app and it seems to be quite organised?! I guess theyre all trying to make it look good and we won't know until we get there!!
Reply 4
Many of my friends live here and love it don’t worry! I live locally and visit them often and the accommodation is amazing for the price. It’s a shorter walk than stated to both campuses (unless I walk really fast) and as long as you’re a sociable person you’ll love it. They also let you swap flats if you really don’t get on with your flat mates, though this would in extreme cases. I think I will be applying for this accommodation next year for the experience even though I would be able to travel daily if I really wanted to. (I’m doing a gap year so will be going to uni next year)
I've put Sheffield Hallam down as my firm for September and I've got an accommodation offer from the forge. However, I started reading people's reviews once I got it just so I could be sure I wanted to go there and they all seemed to be pretty bad and now I'm worried. I phoned the uni and they said there's still time for me to switch to the elements (my second choice) but that would mean rejecting the forge and I don't want to do that if I don't have to. I'd be in block A on the third floor but I can't remember the exact number (I think it was A328?) so if anyone has any recent experience there please let me know as a lot of the reviews of the forge are pretty old and therefore kinda unreliable. Thanks!
I go to Uni of, but I've been to the Forge a few times and it always seemed nice :h:
Enjoy Sheffield, it's a great city.

Hi @EmmaCharlottex

The forge is known for being one of the most sociable accommodations and it is convenient for getting to the university campuses.

It is difficult to advise on what it will actually be like as you won't know until you move in and make friends etc. And it will be different for everyone too.

Our students can share their experiences too! @hallamstudents

Thanks
Bridget
Original post by dancingalevel
No, I know what you mean!! I I mean, I obviously can't say from experience but the students i spoke to who live there didnt make it sound awful ahah and I have downloaded the UNITE app and it seems to be quite organised?! I guess theyre all trying to make it look good and we won't know until we get there!!

Yeah I think I'm gonna end up just accepting it. I feel a lot better now about it and it's definitely decent for uni halls. Thanks :smile: Could I get your insta or something? Totally fine if not it'd just be nice to know someone in my halls in advance.
Original post by Lucy189
Many of my friends live here and love it don’t worry! I live locally and visit them often and the accommodation is amazing for the price. It’s a shorter walk than stated to both campuses (unless I walk really fast) and as long as you’re a sociable person you’ll love it. They also let you swap flats if you really don’t get on with your flat mates, though this would in extreme cases. I think I will be applying for this accommodation next year for the experience even though I would be able to travel daily if I really wanted to. (I’m doing a gap year so will be going to uni next year)

Thank you so much! I do think the reviews I read are probably just outdated. Looking forward to going a lot more now :smile:
I live just up the road in Bramall Court atm, and I can hands down say it seems a lot better than forge and elements if your wanting to have more money a week! None of the Unite students have a TV, which my flat found useful as a conversation point during freshers (elementals has a TV) but it’s all personal preference x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending