PrudenceRose
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I have received offers from all of my uni choices at UCAS and now I have to choose, but I'm feeling stumped a bit on which to choose. Hence, I would appreciate any advice on the following unis, for example in terms of inclusivity, diversity, academia etc. Bear in mind that I am an international student and my course choice for all is International Relations, except for St Andrews, which is Social Anthropology (different course offer :'))

The universities are:
Durham University
University of Aberdeen
St Andrews
Bristol University
Loughborough University

Thank you in helping me sort out my UCAS choices.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by PrudenceRose)
I have received offers from all of my uni choices at UCAS and now I have to choose, but I'm feeling stumped a bit on which to choose. Hence, I would appreciate any advice on the following unis, for example in terms of inclusivity, diversity, academia etc. Bear in mind that I am an international student and my course choice for all is International Relations, except for St Andrews, which is Social Anthropology (different course offer :'))

The universities are:
Durham University
University of Aberdeen
St Andrews
Bristol University
Loughborough University

Thank you in helping me sort out my UCAS choices.
If you haven't already, I'd recommend contacting the universities (particularly the students union) to see what they offer in terms of international student societies or support. I assume you haven't been able to visit the universities - some offer online seminars so you can get a feel for the place, or may be willing to put you in contact with a student rep so you can discuss their experience.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by PrudenceRose)
feeling stumped a bit on which to choose. any advice on the following unis,

The universities are:
Durham University. IR
University of Aberdeen. IR
St Andrews. Social Anthropology
Bristol University. IR
Loughborough University. IR

OK, I'll give it a try!

using a strictly UK based list for employability gives this following ranking for 2019

1. Manchester
2. Bristol
3. Birmingham
4. Warwick
5. London University College
6. Cambridge
7. Nottingham
8. Durham
9. Leeds
10. Oxford
11. London Imperial College
12. Sheffield
13. Bath
14. Exeter
15. Edinburgh
16. York
17. London School of Economics
18. Newcastle
19. Southampton
20. London King’s College
21. Loughborough
22. Glasgow
23. Cardiff
24. Liverpool
25. Leicester

Source - The Graduate Market in 2019, it is simply a list of which colleges the top UK employers are targeting, as there are 140 in the country and these top thirty or so actually get people coming to visit to OFFER you jobs, rather than you as a student having to apply. It means that it is therefore not that relevant, but a guide.

back to your specific list, if you are EU based, you might get a free offer of tuition for 2019 from University of Aberdeen and from St Andrews.

and my list would be therefore

St Andrews. Social Anthropology
University of Aberdeen. IR
Durham University. IR
Bristol University. IR
Loughborough University. IR

if you are really International as you mentioned,

then ranking on vague ideas of prestige and value for money, and inclusivity & diversity (as far as I can perceive)

St Andrews.
Durham University.
Bristol University.
Loughborough University.
University of Aberdeen.

St. Andrews is almost impossible to get an offer from, I know two friends that have graduated internationally from there, one is now working in Switzerland, and one in Antarctica. You might know that Prince whatshisname met his wife there too. That's a clue, it is nice place.

Durham is small but nice, up North
Bristol is small but nice, down South
Luf'bro is a serious campus university in middle of UK. very sensible place.
U of Aberdeen is a 'golden' city, with a beach - it is not true that there is always snow on the beach, but just sometimes. it is a modern university with much investment from the sensible government of Scotland. If you go there you will find out why the "Rich Oil City" of Aberdeen is also called "Furry Boots City"

spoiler:
Spoiler:
Show
Furry Boots City, named because the nice locals will ask you ,
when they first meet you "Furry Boots ya'fra"
(whereabouts perchance might you be from)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (11)
9.17%
Disagree (6)
5%
Neither agree or disagree (40)
33.33%
Agree (46)
38.33%
Strongly Agree (17)
14.17%

Watched Threads