The Student Room Group

Study a degree that will lead to a job

Scroll to see replies

And who are you, sorry? Do you normally butt into people’s conversations? Unless invited, then you should refrain from this as it is particularly rude. See yourself out.
Original post by CoolBreeze89
And who are you, sorry? Do you normally butt into people’s conversations? Unless invited, then you should refrain from this as it is particularly rude. See yourself out.

it's a public forum...
Original post by Obolinda
it's a public forum...

God. Another one.

It is a public forum, but shouldn’t similar social rules apply here to that of ‘public’ interaction?

(I.e. if two people were having a debate outside Costa, then it wouldn’t be reasonable for a stranger to pop their head between the two people and say “I heard what you said, but here’s my opinion now”)

No. I don’t think that would be appropriate. Therefore, the same rules should also apply here, as essentially the individual above by the name ‘Acsel’ essentially did this.

Extremely rude of you. Obolinda? Please don’t do what Mr Rude has done. Do you want to be like Mr Rude?
God. Another one.

It is a public forum, but shouldn’t similar social rules apply here to that of ‘public’ interaction?

(I.e. if two people were having a debate outside Costa, then it wouldn’t be reasonable for a stranger to pop their head between the two people and say “I heard what you said, but here’s my opinion now”)

No. I don’t think that would be appropriate. Therefore, the same rules should also apply here, as essentially the individual above by the name ‘Acsel’ essentially did this.

Extremely rude of you. Obolinda? Please don’t do what Mr Rude has done. Do you want to be like Mr Rude?

:lol: This is a public debate forum where everybody is allowed to "but into" conversations as every post has quote button under it. You don't have to reply if you don't like it. If you want to have a private debate, use the pms.
(edited 5 years ago)
Well joke on you phuckers, I'm applying for a degree that universities either drop or always put it in clearing "geology" because of its unpopularity seriously though I can be a geohydrologist, environmental geologist, engineering geologist, environmental consultant, seismologist and many others.
:lol: This is a public forum where everybody is allowed to "but into" conversations as every post has quote button under it. You don't have to reply if you don't like it. If you want to have a private debate, use the pms.

I think if we analyse this further, it is reasonable to assume that the purpose of the quote function, albeit a little hazy, was never placed there to facilitate users to ‘butt into’ people’s business. I think the true function of the said button was to alert the poster to a part of the thread that was brought to attention, thereby allowing users to follow a debate where answers are logical, coherent and are fully answering parts of the thread appropriately.

Let’s assume this rather than what you appear to believe, which according to you and Mr Rude above ^^ means we can **** on everyone’s threads at any time without a care in the world. Let’s all just butt into each other’s conversations right? I don’t particularly want to have a private conversation, thank you very much. I should be able to speak ‘publicly’ and be secure in the knowledge that certain individuals on the group will respect that a debate had emerged between two parties which should remain like that.

But nooo. The debate has now escalated thanks to Mr Rude and you, my dear. Well done to you. I think you deserve a round of applause 🎺🥳
I think if we analyse this further, it is reasonable to assume that the purpose of the quote function, albeit a little hazy, was never placed there to facilitate users to ‘butt into’ people’s business. I think the true function of the said button was to alert the poster to a part of the thread that was brought to attention, thereby allowing users to follow a debate where answers are logical, coherent and are fully answering parts of the thread appropriately.

Let’s assume this rather than what you appear to believe, which according to you and Mr Rude above ^^ means we can **** on everyone’s threads at any time without a care in the world. Let’s all just butt into each other’s conversations right? I don’t particularly want to have a private conversation, thank you very much. I should be able to speak ‘publicly’ and be secure in the knowledge that certain individuals on the group will respect that a debate had emerged between two parties which should remain like that.

But nooo. The debate has now escalated thanks to Mr Rude and you, my dear. Well done to you. I think you deserve a round of applause 🎺🥳

:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

🥳👍🏻😘
Original post by Scrollery
Well joke on you phuckers, I'm applying for a degree that universities either drop or always put it in clearing "geology" because of its unpopularity seriously though I can be a geohydrologist, environmental geologist, engineering geologist, environmental consultant, seismologist and many others.

Damn. I think this beats my post-grad in cryptozoology
Only because you can doesn't mean you will. Sounds like OP over there in theory you can become this or that but the fact is only the tiny majority does. And is the gamble worth taking?

I think folk should be thinking about alternatives to uni rather what degree leads to what job.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 30
I agree to a degree, especially regarding psychology. Nearly 4000 people applied to the clinical doctorate route last year and the chance of getting on was about 15%. Many of these people would have been working low paid jobs and volunteering and 85% will now probably have to do this again for another few years in order to keep their experience relevant.
I would say to anyone wanting to do clinpsy to think what else you might be happy doing long term as a career and train to do that first, be it mental health nursing, SLT or teaching or whatever. At least then you can be gaining relevant experience whilst actually progressing in a career that you can fall back on if it doesn’t work out. You can also then be in a better position to pick up a higher grade in your conversion degree, potentially and be getting involved in research at work.

However, I think this would only really be relevant advice for people who want to do something like CP. Otherwise, I disagree. Most degrees give you the basic qualification to enter numerous graduate schemes or do teaching for progress in your chosen field if you want to. This may not have worked out for you OP as you decided you wanted to go down the psychology route. But you chose that after turning away from all the other possible routes you could have gone. I could have told you that before you did the psychology degree. I think I may even have a few old posts to that effect!
My advice to any student considering studying at university is to select a degree that will directly lead you into a job.

For anyone studying history, philosophy, psychology, sociology, social sciences in general, and any other type of subject, such as music, drama or linguistics, please do not be offended when I tell you to either change degrees now while you can (my university let’s you switch degrees until year 3) or simply do not study the aforementioned subjects outlined if you have not already done so.

Instead, study a subject that will lead to a job.

‘But I want to study History as I performed amazingly well at it in my A-Levels and am keen on learning a little bit more about the Second World War and different perspectives from other academics and...’

Please remove the above mentality from your brain. It is irrelevant. You are good at it? You enjoy it? Well guess what. I could have a First Class Honours in Fifa or Red Dead Redemption, and cant simply wait for the latest game to come out again, but am I going to be employable with it?

The short answer is: no.

When you are 30 like me (well, on May the 29th) you will soon realise that the decision to study a useless degree such as philosophy for four years was a serious error of judgment. I place the subject of psychology into this useless list because I have first hand experience of what it is like to be unemployed with a first class honours degree. It’s pretty bad. Actually, it’s worse than being unemployed without a degree at all. However, it’s not actually surprising that I am in this situation. Luckily, I start a new job soon, but again - it’s far from where I intended that my degree would take me. Did you know many psychology graduates are working in retail? Did you also know that the only fully funded training course is clinical psychology, where the chance of getting on this is about the same as squeezing 400 rhinos into a public telephone box?

The point I am getting at here is this:

For anyone currently in education or is thinking about attending university, then please ensure that you embark on a career that is going to lead to a job afterwards. The list is not exhaustive, but social work, accountancy, law, dentistry, medicine, teaching and engineering are all examples of careers where workers will always be required.

The reason why I am unemployed is actually due to failings within different work environments. It is ironic having a first class honours in psychology to end up unemployed one year after graduation, but the reason I am in this situation is due to the area that I work in. I am a support worker who has worked in numerous caring settings and environments, and had to leave a previous employer due to their values not matching what I believed they should have been. They were exploiting staff by not paying them an honest reasonable wage, which means I personally can’t bring myself to work for a company who exploits people.

This is somewhat besides the point, but as a psychology graduate, I do find myself somewhat trapped in the system of having to work or volunteer in low paid jobs to simply make my CV stand out. If I didn’t have the goal of gaining a job in psychology then the voluntary work that I have done would have probably never happened. Volunteering simply to look good is also a bad answer, as voluntary work is supposed to come from your heart. In my case, it does come from within thankfully, as I did enjoy my time at the places I went, but it has been driven ultimately by a goal of gaining a place on a clinical psychology training programme which I have now considered to be impossible.

What am I going to do with my degree?

Well, I have enrolled on an MSc that actually has a job at the end of it. The thought of being able to apply for a job is exciting. I will then be able to finally say to friends and family that I am qualified. If I am honest, I was getting tired of the comments “is that you a qualified psychologist now”. The answer, for the 150th time, was always no. People don’t understand. What do they not understand? They don’t get that one needs a four year undergraduate degree, an MSc and a PhD probably to even gain a place on a clinical doctorate training course.

The people I feel for most are those who have done an MSc in Clinical Psychology and or Research Methods. They have pushed themselves even deeper into a dark hole that, until the government offer more resources to, has no clear way out. Undertaking an MSc in this area is like driving a train into a dark tunnel at 120mph with no lights. The passengers are every part of your being, from your ego and morals, to your values and mental health, and the sign at the entrance to the tunnel also said “there might be no end”

Look. You could end up unemployable if you go down the route I did. It’s not worth the risk. I highly encourage students to steer clear of psychology, at least until a time comes where the government allocate more resources. Take a different career please.

Just being honest

I agree 1000%. Another qualification you might add, is a job that pays an adequate salary, so that i won't have to work 3 jobs to have a place to live + eat. I considered 5 careers before selecting mine. For each one, i found and interviewed 5 or 6 people who were actually earning a living with the degree i was contemplating. I asked them: a> how much do you earn, b> where do you see yourself in 5 yrs, 10 yrs. c> what would you do differently in your education, if you had it to do over, d> what other careers did you consider?, e> why did you decide against them? I interviewed each of them separately, wrote down the responses, took them home and studied them. I selected electrical engineering, and got a BSEE (bachelors). A few years later, i went back (to a different uni) and earned a master's degree in EE [MSEE]. Over the course of my career, i've lived in 14 countries (at customer expense) doing engineering, and enjoyed nearly all of it. I spent nearly 3 years overseas, right after i got my BSEE, came back to the states, and bought a house with (a good bit of) my earnings. The only change i would make in my career is a> i would have spent more time overseas, rather than hanging around Washington, D.C. for 15 yrs or so, and b> a young lady i encountered in the early '70s, i would have pursued more vigorously - rather than letting her wander off - thinking that i was dis-interested.

If you are female - consider that in the western world - about 57% of marriages end in divorce. The women usually end up with the kids - particularly if they are small. The woman then has to provide not only for herself, but for 1 or more kids. This is extremely difficult if she has less education than her former partner did. If she has been educated to the same level as a professional male - say at least a bachelor's degree in IT, electrical engineering, medicine, law, or a similar paying field, she would be earning [in 2019 in the D.C. area], typically at least $75k to $90k+. [Note that in the US, a law degree is graduate level - i.e. a LlD (doctorate degree).] Given that, she can easily afford a decent place to live + all the kid care she needs to function in her job. She also doesn't have to work more than one job - altho occasional demands from her 'day' job may extend to 12 or 15 hours/day at times (or more). If she has a 'reasonable' employer, she will have no problem getting time off around holidays to be with her family. She may have to travel with her job - but i've worked with several female engineers who took their kids along on business trips [in non-combative areas]. I found them to be very interested in what their parent was doing, and flattered to meet some of the people that their parent worked with - as well as seeing quite a bit of the US and the world. I think that many of them may have turned into engineers in their own right in later years. Several of them [in their teens], told me that they intended to , or 'wouldn't consider any other career' - after seeing their parent operate, how she was treated, and what the opportunities were in the field. On a number of occasions, i saw employee kids given a little job to do - working under their parent's supervision - to give them a 'feel' for the job. A couple of times, this involved writing software for the project. So some actual defense dept work was done by software written by a 13 year old. Worked well too!! Cheers + best of luck!!!
That pretty much narrows it down to medicine...
You've made this thread before.
What a load of drivel. 1) The world is richer for having those subjects and people who study them. 2) not everyone can become a doctor or an engineer. 3) you say dont study psychology because the government doesn't fund psychologists but then you want to become a social worker? You must be having a laugh!
Ill study whatever I want to, thanks.
"tiny majority"
Original post by brian.griffin
Only because you can doesn't mean you will. Sounds like OP over there in theory you can become this or that but the fact is only the tiny majority does. And is the gamble worth taking?

I think folk should be thinking about alternatives to uni rather what degree leads to what job.
Any degree can lead to a job.
"tiny majority"

when you fail to become a geohydrologist at least you'll have proofreading to fall back on
Yes, there are training schemes that take in people with any degree (that means you do not need a degree) but that does not justify doing a nonsense degree and hoping in winning a lottery with odds usually around 500:1. Good luck making it into Finance grad training scheme with degree in History with Music when you stand against several hundreds of mathematicians, economists and accountants...

Law conversion means that you have to convert your useless hobby level degree into LLB. Why not to skip the middle man and go straight after the LLB?
Original post by Brandimo
I'm not going to say that studying towards a degree with a 'defined' career end is not a good idea; it is - but implying that studying a degree that has no dedicated job waiting at the end is going to be a disaster, is just plain wrong.

To list just a few areas that hire from all degrees:
Civil Service.
NGOs.
Finance (most of the grad schemes recruit from ANY discipline).
Marketing.
Communications.
HR.
Law Conversion
Many accounting schemes (16.8% of ACA students hold 'Arts' degrees)
Gordon Brown had a BA in History for god sake!
The list goes on...

You are not unemployed because of your degree or because of your profession; you are unemployed because there are people in your field who did more to further their development and therefore had more skills to offer.

To anyone reading this; in an ideal world, try and pick a subject that relates to a field that you want to work in. The best catch-all degrees in my experience are Maths/Sciences/Computer Science. If you are unsure of what you want to do post-uni, it's not all doom and gloom, study whatever you want!

Just keep in mind that you have to work harder to further your development through taking up extracurricular endeavors, courses, and experience to make yourself more competitive in the job market. Although this rings true for everyone.
Yes, in SubWay or KFC :biggrin:
Original post by OctoberRain7
Any degree can lead to a job.
My advice to any student considering studying at university is to select a degree that will directly lead you into a job.

For anyone studying history, philosophy, psychology, sociology, social sciences in general, and any other type of subject, such as music, drama or linguistics, please do not be offended when I tell you to either change degrees now while you can (my university let’s you switch degrees until year 3) or simply do not study the aforementioned subjects outlined if you have not already done so.

Instead, study a subject that will lead to a job.

‘But I want to study History as I performed amazingly well at it in my A-Levels and am keen on learning a little bit more about the Second World War and different perspectives from other academics and...’

Please remove the above mentality from your brain. It is irrelevant. You are good at it? You enjoy it? Well guess what. I could have a First Class Honours in Fifa or Red Dead Redemption, and cant simply wait for the latest game to come out again, but am I going to be employable with it?

The short answer is: no.

When you are 30 like me (well, on May the 29th) you will soon realise that the decision to study a useless degree such as philosophy for four years was a serious error of judgment. I place the subject of psychology into this useless list because I have first hand experience of what it is like to be unemployed with a first class honours degree. It’s pretty bad. Actually, it’s worse than being unemployed without a degree at all. However, it’s not actually surprising that I am in this situation. Luckily, I start a new job soon, but again - it’s far from where I intended that my degree would take me. Did you know many psychology graduates are working in retail? Did you also know that the only fully funded training course is clinical psychology, where the chance of getting on this is about the same as squeezing 400 rhinos into a public telephone box?

The point I am getting at here is this:

For anyone currently in education or is thinking about attending university, then please ensure that you embark on a career that is going to lead to a job afterwards. The list is not exhaustive, but social work, accountancy, law, dentistry, medicine, teaching and engineering are all examples of careers where workers will always be required.

The reason why I am unemployed is actually due to failings within different work environments. It is ironic having a first class honours in psychology to end up unemployed one year after graduation, but the reason I am in this situation is due to the area that I work in. I am a support worker who has worked in numerous caring settings and environments, and had to leave a previous employer due to their values not matching what I believed they should have been. They were exploiting staff by not paying them an honest reasonable wage, which means I personally can’t bring myself to work for a company who exploits people.

This is somewhat besides the point, but as a psychology graduate, I do find myself somewhat trapped in the system of having to work or volunteer in low paid jobs to simply make my CV stand out. If I didn’t have the goal of gaining a job in psychology then the voluntary work that I have done would have probably never happened. Volunteering simply to look good is also a bad answer, as voluntary work is supposed to come from your heart. In my case, it does come from within thankfully, as I did enjoy my time at the places I went, but it has been driven ultimately by a goal of gaining a place on a clinical psychology training programme which I have now considered to be impossible.

What am I going to do with my degree?

Well, I have enrolled on an MSc that actually has a job at the end of it. The thought of being able to apply for a job is exciting. I will then be able to finally say to friends and family that I am qualified. If I am honest, I was getting tired of the comments “is that you a qualified psychologist now”. The answer, for the 150th time, was always no. People don’t understand. What do they not understand? They don’t get that one needs a four year undergraduate degree, an MSc and a PhD probably to even gain a place on a clinical doctorate training course.

The people I feel for most are those who have done an MSc in Clinical Psychology and or Research Methods. They have pushed themselves even deeper into a dark hole that, until the government offer more resources to, has no clear way out. Undertaking an MSc in this area is like driving a train into a dark tunnel at 120mph with no lights. The passengers are every part of your being, from your ego and morals, to your values and mental health, and the sign at the entrance to the tunnel also said “there might be no end”

Look. You could end up unemployable if you go down the route I did. It’s not worth the risk. I highly encourage students to steer clear of psychology, at least until a time comes where the government allocate more resources. Take a different career please.

Just being honest

On the other hand one could do any one of those degrees and then get a teaching qualification on top of it, or go on to get a Masters or PhD in that topic or another one. It's not accurate to say the degrees are useless, only maybe not very helpful if you don't get further qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending