The Student Room Group

Study a degree that will lead to a job

Scroll to see replies

it's good advice ngl
Actually, if you are planning to be more of a homemaker/housewife with kids, etc... doing a degree is pointless. Most of marriages with kids fail about after 10 years. At that point, your degree becomes useless. Hardcore Engineering is not a reasonable job for single mom. I work 60-70 hours a week. Everyone I know does about the same. Ideally if your family fails try to do something like Accounting, because accounting is quite part time friendly and often can be done from home.
Original post by Rabbit2

If you are female - consider that in the western world - about 57% of marriages end in divorce. The women usually end up with the kids - particularly if they are small. The woman then has to provide not only for herself, but for 1 or more kids. This is extremely difficult if she has less education than her former partner did. If she has been educated to the same level as a professional male - say at least a bachelor's degree in IT, electrical engineering, medicine, law, or a similar paying field, she would be earning [in 2019 in the D.C. area], typically at least $75k to $90k+. [Note that in the US, a law degree is graduate level - i.e. a LlD (doctorate degree).] Given that, she can easily afford a decent place to live + all the kid care she needs to function in her job. She also doesn't have to work more than one job - altho occasional demands from her 'day' job may extend to 12 or 15 hours/day at times (or more). If she has a 'reasonable' employer, she will have no problem getting time off around holidays to be with her family. She may have to travel with her job - but i've worked with several female engineers who took their kids along on business trips [in non-combative areas]. I found them to be very interested in what their parent was doing, and flattered to meet some of the people that their parent worked with - as well as seeing quite a bit of the US and the world. I think that many of them may have turned into engineers in their own right in later years. Several of them [in their teens], told me that they intended to , or 'wouldn't consider any other career' - after seeing their parent operate, how she was treated, and what the opportunities were in the field. On a number of occasions, i saw employee kids given a little job to do - working under their parent's supervision - to give them a 'feel' for the job. A couple of times, this involved writing software for the project. So some actual defense dept work was done by software written by a 13 year old. Worked well too!! Cheers + best of luck!!!
Where does physics fall?
People tell me it's good for empolyability, but I don't want to do research...
Original post by Scrollery
Well joke on you phuckers, I'm applying for a degree that universities either drop or always put it in clearing "geology" because of its unpopularity seriously though I can be a geohydrologist, environmental geologist, engineering geologist, environmental consultant, seismologist and many others.

Geology is a decent degree to take (plus very interesting). Courses vary in popularity. I remember when Chemical Eng was what people who screwed up their A levels took from clearing. Economics was for a while seeing very low number of applications. Things change - generally because some survey shows a high average salary and every student discovers their 'passion'.
I changed my philosophy degree to philosophy/theology and religious studies joint honours... am I doing it right?
Original post by the bear
areas where there will never be a downturn in demand ( even after Brexit ) include...

Funerals

Hairdressing

Dating Services

( perhaps some people could combine all three ? )

:dontknow:

Invite strangers to funerals with the enticement of free haircuts and the intention of matching the new widow(er) with someone is a god-tier business plan.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I changed my philosophy degree to philosophy/theology and religious studies joint honours... am I doing it right?

Invite strangers to funerals with the enticement of free haircuts and the intention of matching the new widow(er) with someone is a god-tier business plan.

win-win-win :h:
unintentional... and wouldn't it be Newton?

However, if I'm meant to get a job so that I have money to do things I like, why don't I just do things I like in the first place?
Many people aren't aware not all degrees lead to their 'dream' jobs.
Original post by CoolBreeze89
My advice to any student considering studying at university is to select a degree that will directly lead you into a job.

For anyone studying history, philosophy, psychology, sociology, social sciences in general, and any other type of subject, such as music, drama or linguistics, please do not be offended when I tell you to either change degrees now while you can (my university let’s you switch degrees until year 3) or simply do not study the aforementioned subjects outlined if you have not already done so.

Instead, study a subject that will lead to a job.

‘But I want to study History as I performed amazingly well at it in my A-Levels and am keen on learning a little bit more about the Second World War and different perspectives from other academics and...’

Please remove the above mentality from your brain. It is irrelevant. You are good at it? You enjoy it? Well guess what. I could have a First Class Honours in Fifa or Red Dead Redemption, and cant simply wait for the latest game to come out again, but am I going to be employable with it?

The short answer is: no.

When you are 30 like me (well, on May the 29th) you will soon realise that the decision to study a useless degree such as philosophy for four years was a serious error of judgment. I place the subject of psychology into this useless list because I have first hand experience of what it is like to be unemployed with a first class honours degree. It’s pretty bad. Actually, it’s worse than being unemployed without a degree at all. However, it’s not actually surprising that I am in this situation. Luckily, I start a new job soon, but again - it’s far from where I intended that my degree would take me. Did you know many psychology graduates are working in retail? Did you also know that the only fully funded training course is clinical psychology, where the chance of getting on this is about the same as squeezing 400 rhinos into a public telephone box?

The point I am getting at here is this:

For anyone currently in education or is thinking about attending university, then please ensure that you embark on a career that is going to lead to a job afterwards. The list is not exhaustive, but social work, accountancy, law, dentistry, medicine, teaching and engineering are all examples of careers where workers will always be required.

The reason why I am unemployed is actually due to failings within different work environments. It is ironic having a first class honours in psychology to end up unemployed one year after graduation, but the reason I am in this situation is due to the area that I work in. I am a support worker who has worked in numerous caring settings and environments, and had to leave a previous employer due to their values not matching what I believed they should have been. They were exploiting staff by not paying them an honest reasonable wage, which means I personally can’t bring myself to work for a company who exploits people.

This is somewhat besides the point, but as a psychology graduate, I do find myself somewhat trapped in the system of having to work or volunteer in low paid jobs to simply make my CV stand out. If I didn’t have the goal of gaining a job in psychology then the voluntary work that I have done would have probably never happened. Volunteering simply to look good is also a bad answer, as voluntary work is supposed to come from your heart. In my case, it does come from within thankfully, as I did enjoy my time at the places I went, but it has been driven ultimately by a goal of gaining a place on a clinical psychology training programme which I have now considered to be impossible.

What am I going to do with my degree?

Well, I have enrolled on an MSc that actually has a job at the end of it. The thought of being able to apply for a job is exciting. I will then be able to finally say to friends and family that I am qualified. If I am honest, I was getting tired of the comments “is that you a qualified psychologist now”. The answer, for the 150th time, was always no. People don’t understand. What do they not understand? They don’t get that one needs a four year undergraduate degree, an MSc and a PhD probably to even gain a place on a clinical doctorate training course.

The people I feel for most are those who have done an MSc in Clinical Psychology and or Research Methods. They have pushed themselves even deeper into a dark hole that, until the government offer more resources to, has no clear way out. Undertaking an MSc in this area is like driving a train into a dark tunnel at 120mph with no lights. The passengers are every part of your being, from your ego and morals, to your values and mental health, and the sign at the entrance to the tunnel also said “there might be no end”

Look. You could end up unemployable if you go down the route I did. It’s not worth the risk. I highly encourage students to steer clear of psychology, at least until a time comes where the government allocate more resources. Take a different career please.

Just being honest

And yet I know people who have gone down either the clinical/counselling psychology doctorate routes or are now forging a career in academic psychology. A degree is only part of the equation. Your own individual qualities and capabilities are just as if not more important. That is why they are doing well for themselves and you are now unemployed.
Reply 49
Original post by bingbong654
Where does physics fall?
People tell me it's good for empolyability, but I don't want to do research...

A lot of physics grads go into IT or finance
Original post by HumanBrian
Actually, if you are planning to be more of a homemaker/housewife with kids, etc... doing a degree is pointless. Most of marriages with kids fail about after 10 years. At that point, your degree becomes useless. Hardcore Engineering is not a reasonable job for single mom. I work 60-70 hours a week. Everyone I know does about the same. Ideally if your family fails try to do something like Accounting, because accounting is quite part time friendly and often can be done from home.

If you are working those sort of hours [60-70 per week], and have an engineering degree - even a bachelors - you should be earning $100,000USD up. If you are not - you are being robbed! The scam that employers used to try, was the old "salaried/hourly" bit. You would be 'expected' to work 60-70 - and paid for 40. Then, if you needed time off - medical care beyond your 'sick leave' - or kiddie care - you would be 'docked' for the missing time. That ended a few years ago. A guy worked for a major west coast firm doing engineering. He was putting in 80/week regularly. This went on for nearly 20 years. Then, he needed substantial dental work. He went 3 weeks at about 10 hr/week. They docked him for the time. He complaned to the labour dept. They investigated, and audited his pay records - ALL of them - since initial hire. The company was forced to pay him back salary - with interest - for 20+ years. It was a fortune. Then - the next week - labour dept audited the other employees - ALL OF THEM!! Again, they were forced to pay back salary [and FICA taxes] for all the employees. It cost the company a bigger fortune!! Their stock went down as a result. I was working for TRW when this happened. Somebody came around from corporate - the #2 guy in the legal dept. He said 4 times: "I want you to take one thing away from this (compulsory) meeting: You are to fill in the EXACT time you work {to the nearest 6 minutes} on each project. Doing anything else is a CRIMINAL OFFENSE!! Do you understand me?? A CRIMINAL OFFENSE!! They don't do that any more (here). Cheers.
i want to be a forensic psychologist, what do you think?
Original post by susu6679
i want to be a forensic psychologist, what do you think?

I'd like to be a professional footballer. Any suggestions?
Reply 53
Hahaha
If getting the money is the important thing, you will spend your life completely wasting your time.
You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing - which is stupid.
Better to have a short life full of things you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way.
And after all if you do really like what you are doing, doesn't matter what it is, you can eventually become a master of it - and get a good fee for it. Somebody is interested in everything.
But it's stupid to spend your time doing things you don't like doing in order to go on doing things you don't like doing and then teach your children to do the same thing!
Psych grad here totally agree with you.
Original post by Other_Owl
Many people aren't aware not all degrees lead to their 'dream' jobs.

Certainly not true in the humanities - you ask anybody what they wanna do after uni and it tends to be very vague outlines of plans in the majority of cases, not a hyper-specific career plan.
Reply 57
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
And yet I know people who have gone down either the clinical/counselling psychology doctorate routes or are now forging a career in academic psychology. A degree is only part of the equation. Your own individual qualities and capabilities are just as if not more important. That is why they are doing well for themselves and you are now unemployed.

yeah, I know a few (disproportionate amount, actually). The key thing is not everybody is gonna be the cream of the crop... In any walk of life. The sooner you get this, the sooner your own sense of perspective will inform you whether your endeavours are 'worth it'. If you are only going to read in depth to be guaranteed a job, then yeah, you're gonna get a short sharp shock. Those of us that weren't particularly arsed about being guaranteed or entitled to anything tend not to be hung up on it.
I am a second year psychology student and agree with most of what the OP is saying. Think twice about doing psych even if you wanted to be a clinical psychologist or whatever as there is a lot of perseverance/determination needed on your behalf for you to succeed.

On a positive side though there are success stories of those who do become psychologists/ get graduate employment but they have done more than just get a degree 2.1 they have used the 3 years wsely to stand out. Then there are those with mega wealthy parents who can offer them internships/ jobs but that is the minority of graduates.
God. Another one.

It is a public forum, but shouldn’t similar social rules apply here to that of ‘public’ interaction?

(I.e. if two people were having a debate outside Costa, then it wouldn’t be reasonable for a stranger to pop their head between the two people and say “I heard what you said, but here’s my opinion now”)

No. I don’t think that would be appropriate. Therefore, the same rules should also apply here, as essentially the individual above by the name ‘Acsel’ essentially did this.

Extremely rude of you. Obolinda? Please don’t do what Mr Rude has done. Do you want to be like Mr Rude?

Except a debate in Costa would be the equivalent of a private message function, which TSR has. A public forum lets everyone get involved, because it is a public forum
I don’t particularly want to have a private conversation,

If you don't want a private conversation, then why do you oppose the idea of a public one? Clearly you didn't want a conversation and, hence, it makes it weird that you are engaging in one.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending