The Student Room Group

Could I get a place at Cambridge or oxford university?

At GCSE I have 5A*s (3 grade 8s and 2 grade 9s), 4As (grade 7s) and a B in further maths. I'm in my first year at college and I'm studying maths, physics and biology and I'm aiming for at the minimum A*A A but I'm hoping to achieve A*A*A or even all A*s if I'm lucky. I want to do physics at university but I know a lot of other candidates will have much better GCSE's than me and do better at A level. Also I've heard there's a 21% success rate at Cambridge and 17.5% at Oxford but I really really want to get in to one of them. How good do you think my chances are at getting in to either university? (My gcse grade 9's were in physics and biology. I'm going to do an EPQ on a physics related subject too like black holes or pulsars and that's worth half an A level)
(edited 5 years ago)
Well firstly, Cambridge doesn't have an undergraduate 'Physics' course - you would need to apply for BSc Natural Sciences. The grade requirements for that course are A*A*A, so whether you can apply will depend on your predicted grades. That course has a 26% offer rate.

At Oxford, having had a quick google, it looks like there are two different undergraduate courses - the three-year BA Physics and the four-year MPhys, so you would need to decide which course appeals to you more. The MPhys has a 15% offer rate; I can't find the BA offer rate.

Given that both Oxford and Cambridge will determine who gets an offer based largely on their own aptitude tests (that nobody on TSR knows how well you will perform on) and interviews (that nobody on TSR knows how well you will perform in), it is impossible to tell you how good your individual chances of getting in are.

I would say though:
1) Firstly, in case you didn't know, you can only apply to one - you're not allowed to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge. Therefore, even if you don't get in, you still have four other chances of gaining a university place.
2) Imperial College London is also an incredible place to study physics (many would argue it is of equal prestige to Oxbridge for science subjects). Though you would definitely need A*A*A to apply there.
3) Make sure that you don't set all your hopes on Oxbridge - visit other universities too, and make sure you apply to places that you would be happy to go to if Oxbridge doesn't work out.

You're best off choosing two aspirational choices (i.e. Oxford or Cambridge, Imperial), two realistic choices (Warwick, maybe Nottingham?) and then one insurance, for which you exceed the grades and will definitely get in.
Reply 2
Further maths?
@Doones knows a lot about physics and Cambridge, so might be able to help.
Reply 4
Firstly thank you for your reply! It's very useful to get a bit of a talk through it all.
Yes I'd read that Cambridge don't have a physics undergraduate course which is a shame but I'd still be interested in applying for natural sciences. I'd rather apply to oxford out of the 2 because like you say I can't apply for both. I think it's just a matter of sizing each one up and deciding which course I think suits me better.

I definitely won't get my hopes up too much because I know it's very hard to achieve the right grades let alone get a place so I've made sure to look into other universities as well. I'll have to have a look at London imperial college because I keep hearing about how it's one of the top universities so it might be worth a try.

Thank you for your help!
Original post by LeapingLucy
Well firstly, Cambridge doesn't have an undergraduate 'Physics' course - you would need to apply for BSc Natural Sciences. The grade requirements for that course are A*A*A, so whether you can apply will depend on your predicted grades. That course has a 26% offer rate.

At Oxford, having had a quick google, it looks like there are two different undergraduate courses - the three-year BA Physics and the four-year MPhys, so you would need to decide which course appeals to you more. The MPhys has a 15% offer rate; I can't find the BA offer rate.

Given that both Oxford and Cambridge will determine who gets an offer based largely on their own aptitude tests (that nobody on TSR knows how well you will perform on) and interviews (that nobody on TSR knows how well you will perform in), it is impossible to tell you how good your individual chances of getting in are.

I would say though:
1) Firstly, in case you didn't know, you can only apply to one - you're not allowed to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge. Therefore, even if you don't get in, you still have four other chances of gaining a university place.
2) Imperial College London is also an incredible place to study physics (many would argue it is of equal prestige to Oxbridge for science subjects). Though you would definitely need A*A*A to apply there.
3) Make sure that you don't set all your hopes on Oxbridge - visit other universities too, and make sure you apply to places that you would be happy to go to if Oxbridge doesn't work out.

You're best off choosing two aspirational choices (i.e. Oxford or Cambridge, Imperial), two realistic choices (Warwick, maybe Nottingham?) and then one insurance, for which you exceed the grades and will definitely get in.
Reply 5
What about further maths?
Original post by NukaCola
Further maths?
Reply 6
Alright thank you
Original post by LeapingLucy
@Doones knows a lot about physics and Cambridge, so might be able to help.
I know ppl who applied to Oxford with 12A* GCSEs and perfect predictions for A-level, always known as clever, multiple prizes and awards, on top of leadership positions, sports teams, grade 8 instruments etc. etc.. Didn't get in. I also know, from the same school in the same year, ppl who have GCSEs worse than yours, never seemed to stand out much at school (but definitely clever don't get me wrong), taking maybe a not great subject alongside good ones, and predicted (slightly) lower A-level grades, but who are hard-working and passionate, who got in. If you genuinely love your subject, have the suitable predicted grades, and love Oxbridge, just apply. There is no point trying to predict whether you will get in or not and only one way to find out!
Lucky for you the oxford physics system is fairly objective (as far as they ever are!)
If you want to see if you have a chance, do a practise PAT paper as see if you would make the interview cut off.
Honestly, you will have nothing to lose by applying, and it is a super enriching process! Even if you are worried you aren't good enough you should use this as a chance to surprise yourself :biggrin:
Oxford and I suspect Cambridge and Imperial prefer Further Maths. Without it you will be at a disadvantage.
Reply 11
Reading this has just reinstalled my hope honestly thank you! I'm definitely very passionate about my subject and I do a lot of reading around the topic so I guess that puts me in good stead to at least have a little chance of a place right? Anyway I'm very motivated to do well so maybe the hard work will pay off
Original post by chococashew
I know ppl who applied to Oxford with 12A* GCSEs and perfect predictions for A-level, always known as clever, multiple prizes and awards, on top of leadership positions, sports teams, grade 8 instruments etc. etc.. Didn't get in. I also know, from the same school in the same year, ppl who have GCSEs worse than yours, never seemed to stand out much at school (but definitely clever don't get me wrong), taking maybe a not great subject alongside good ones, and predicted (slightly) lower A-level grades, but who are hard-working and passionate, who got in. If you genuinely love your subject, have the suitable predicted grades, and love Oxbridge, just apply. There is no point trying to predict whether you will get in or not and only one way to find out!
Reply 12
That's a very good idea actually I'll have to try a few of those as some good practice thanks!
(Original post by bingbong654)Lucky for you the oxford physics system is fairly objective (as far as they ever are!)
If you want to see if you have a chance, do a practise PAT paper as see if you would make the interview cut off.

Original post by bingbong654
Lucky for you the oxford physics system is fairly objective (as far as they ever are!)
Reply 13
You're right, there's no harm in trying and best case scenario I actually get a place! Thank you :smile:
I'm
Original post by User31415
Reading this has just reinstalled my hope honestly thank you! I'm definitely very passionate about my subject and I do a lot of reading around the topic so I guess that puts me in good stead to at least have a little chance of a place right? Anyway I'm very motivated to do well so maybe the hard work will pay off

glad to have reinstalled your hope! Honestly if you have the predicted grades you the base you need, it is the motivation and passion that you seem to have that will get you far. There is no magic formula and even with the utmost passion, motivation, and intelligence you might still miss out a place as many do...but the beautiful thing about there being no magic formula is that by the same logic you might get a place too. Just do your very best. Good luck!
Reply 15
It's true! You have a great point there, it's good that it's actually quite flexible and there's no specific difficult requirements that you HAVE to have all of. I'd say I'll tell you if I get a place but you'd have to wait like a year so perhaps not who knows!
Original post by chococashew
I'm

glad to have reinstalled your hope! Honestly if you have the predicted grades you the base you need, it is the motivation and passion that you seem to have that will get you far. There is no magic formula and even with the utmost passion, motivation, and intelligence you might still miss out a place as many do...but the beautiful thing about there being no magic formula is that by the same logic you might get a place too. Just do your very best. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending