The Student Room Group

Is it too late for me to choose medicine?

The idea of doing a medical degree has only just come into my head, after a teacher who knows me well suggested it, and I’ve only got 6 months until I have to submit my UCAS, and even less before I would have to take UKCAT and BMAT exams. I did do a random practice BMAT without any prep and got a 5.2 5.0, so I think I could do well if I started working for it now. Although my grades aren’t really a factor as I do bio, chem, maths and further maths A levels predicated A*A*AA atm and I know I can do well on them if I put in the work.

Originally my plan was to apply to Cambridge to do biological natural sciences or do biomedical science anywhere else. But now I can’t get the idea of doing medicine out of my head. Biomedical seems safer as I know I will love the course and I feel prepared. For medicine I’ve got no work experience or anything, I feel like there’s not enough time to be ready for UCAS and even if I get interviews I’m worried I’ll come across as unprepared and confused as I feel right now.

So, do you think it’s too late to change my mind on the course? (Will I be able to get good entrance exam results and enough work experience and choose uni’s before I need to apply?) and do you think I should consider it more? I know I could also go on to do postgrad medicine anyway, and maybe that would give me more time and knowledge to make a better decision.
Thanks for your help :smile:
I've had a friend who decided just 3 days before the UCAS deadline this last year to become a Doctor, I helped her with PS and choosing the uni's (some including biomed rather than A100 as plan-B (a slower route into A100)) and she then did the last possible BMAT at some far-away place. She has got offers into the biomeds, but not yet sure about offers for med school, and there's always clearing)

so yes, for you, with FAR more time, anything should start now, but you can still apply for 3 x UCAT/BMAT & 2 x biomed, one of which at Cambs (tho' I prefer Oxford as less likely to say 'No', and historically easier to get an interview@bio not @med)

I confirm that biomed is a very valid course and a great backstop/insurance for a medical course.

we applied for BMAT, to Brighton/Sussex, Leeds, Lancaster for A100 and I think Edinburgh or Dundee & Bradford for biomedical studies
the UCAT route would've been Manchester/Dundee/Hull/Leicester at A100
Hi @lauren2712, Certainly not too late to change your mind.
1. You only need a couple of weeks work experience. While obviously being medical related, they're not so bothered on the content. Selectors are generally looking for what you personally gained from the placement and how you reflect on the experience. As you are late to the party, my tip would be to utilise what contacts you have to get a placement. The usual ones through school (lab / hospital posts) would probably be taken up already.
2. Don't know about BMAT but I only had a couple of weeks practice before sitting UKCAT, the last sitting is end Sept I think (maybe even early Oct). I did mine just before starting year 13 coz I knew it was going to be busy after that.
3. Choose carefully which med school you apply to. The selection criteria and style of teaching can be quite different.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending