The Student Room Group

Will no-deal Brexit mean exams get postponed?

In this TES exclusive, it says pupils may have to sit their GCSE and A-level exams on later dates or at alternative venues in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

The full article is behind a paywall, but a source has told TES that "you could literally end up with kids not able to get to school for their timetabled exams" if a no-deal Brexit causes significant traffic disruption.

Exams could be postponed nationwide if lots of students were going to miss it, and boards have apparently been arranging "alternative sittings" on later dates in case students are unable to get to exams - but might have to involve some students sitting a substitute paper of "equivalent" difficulty.

What do you think - is this a real possibility?

Scroll to see replies

Hopefully 🤞😂
Why would a no-deal Brexit affect exam timetables?
Original post by Occitanie

the article talked about in the question states the possible reason as traffic jams so that many students may not be able to reach their examination center on time.
Reply 4
I'm struggling to see any possible way a no deal Brexit would cause local traffic that was so bad you couldn't get to school.
Original post by Molseh
I'm struggling to see any possible way a no deal Brexit would cause local traffic that was so bad you couldn't get to school.

exactly
Perhaps modern pupils have lost the use of their legs or cannot fathom what rising earlier, walking or cycling involve.
Reply 7
Original post by Occitanie

That's nothing. My wife has been buying water sterilising tablets for when Brexit stops our water supply.
v unlikely. but later exams will be good for those students.
Original post by Obolinda
v unlikely. but later exams will be good for those students.

why? like you have to study longer and probably will get shorter holidays. and most likely mew university year in 2019 for will also be messed up.
Original post by Pigster
That's nothing. My wife has been buying water sterilising tablets for when Brexit stops our water supply.

What is it about Brexit that might turn off the taps?
also results are already coming out in mid August , now will they come one the day people are supposed to start uni?
Original post by Hammad Dogar
why? like you have to study longer and probably will get shorter holidays. and most likely mew university year in 2019 for will also be messed up.

yh true. but studying longer is good, no?
More bothered about our economy being in tatters than GCSE students having to sit exams 2 days later than planned.
Original post by Obolinda
yh true. but studying longer is good, no?

not if you have to study same thing again and again.
Original post by Notoriety
More bothered about our economy being in tatters than GCSE students having to sit exams 2 days later than planned.

2 days? we qre talking like 15 days.
Probably just scaremongering, making no-deal seem like a bigger event then it actually is.
Government are not really thinking about those who are going to be affected. We, as this generation, will have to build from their mistakes, which I see as unfair
Original post by Hammad Dogar
not if you have to study same thing again and again.

That's how studying works, lol.
No lmao. You'll only be screwed once you try to get a job, you'll be fine during the actual exams.

Quick Reply

Latest