The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Is the area around Salford university safe?

I've applied to Salford and was wondering whether the area around the uni itself is safe. I've heard Salford is rough and high in crime.
Reply 1
I lived in Manchester for 18th months and used to go running a lot around Salford. The area around the main campus seems largely safe. There can sometimes be gangs of youths hanging around Peel Park and the Meadow - a couple of times I had to handle some youths trying to chase me on their mopeds :biggrin: But I never felt unsafe. That being said, Salford does have a reputation (particularly around Ordsall and Lower Broughton) for crime, but I think if you still to Uni halls/or near the Uni, it is pretty safe. There are parts of Salford that are very leafy and pleasant!

Chapel Street, which lead from the campus down to Manchester is really developing and has a couple of decent pubs and cafes now. There are loads of new housing estates being put up and the area is changing massively.

Remember, Salford is only one part of Greater Manchester, and a really exciting city awaits you!
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
I've been a student in Salford for 4 years now and can say the area around the main campus and Fredrick Road are both very safe. Like anywhere in the world, Salford has it's bad places, but so does everyone else. But I've walked around the back roads to get to the train station before in the dark and never felt unsafe!
Reply 3
Hi, I and my friend have enrolled in the Salford university for Sept 2022 intake and we are planning to arrive in Manchester on 8thSept. Can anyone please suggest which area would be good for accommodation?
Original post by SSyam
Hi, I and my friend have enrolled in the Salford university for Sept 2022 intake and we are planning to arrive in Manchester on 8thSept. Can anyone please suggest which area would be good for accommodation?

Hi @SSyam,

Congratulations to you and your friend :smile: not long now until you join us!

Can I just check, are you intending to look at University accommodation (Peel Park Quarter/John Lester and Eddie Colman Courts) or private accommodation? Also what is it that you and your friend will be studying at Salford?

All the best,

Rowan
- University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending