is french or german easier to learn?

Watch
HucktheForde
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
thinking of learning a new language to improve my resume...
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you ever studied French and German to know which to recommend to the OP as being easier?

To the OP: Linguistically speaking, French is easier and you'll probably pick it up much faster than German.
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Personnellement, je pense que -

NAH SCRAP THAT I'M TYPING IN ENGLISH.

French. My cousin does German and I've witnessed his struggles. French ftw.
MIKESPIKE10
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have learned both to high fluency so I would say from personal experience that french is easier
OctoberRain7
Badges: 15
Report 2 years ago
I speak both and I would say that French is generally easier for English speakers to pick up and more widely useful (it’s also easier to find resources to learn it), and if you speak it Spanish is very easy to learn and is also widely spoken. German is a bit more niche which you may see as an advantage, the pronunciation is also a lot easier if you want to focus on your speaking, which I would recommend, rather than writing. With all that said, I really think that you should look into French/German-speaking culture and see which you prefer, as ultimately it’s about what you’re going to use the language for and which place you prefer
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've studied French, German and Spanish formally. I found Spanish the easiest, then German, and French the hardest (despite putting the most years into this one!).
MIKESPIKE10
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Like others have said, you shouldn't learn a language based on its difficulty. Find what cultures interest you the most and where you could imagine yourself spending the most time. Depending on how gifted you are, languages can take from months to years to learn so learning an 'easy language' could still take you a long time and wanting to learn it just because of its difficulty might not keep you committed to learning it to fluency.

Spanish and French are admittedly easier than German but I'd say only marginally. If you want to learn German the most then go for it
iodo345
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Did French GCSE and am learning German now A1-A2 mostly self teaching overall I think the listening is harder in French as there is a lot of silent letters whereas in German every letter is pronounced so is easier.

However, German grammar seems to be a lot more difficult and I have seen C1-2 levels where you have to learn complicated things like konjunctiv and it looks a lot more difficult than French grammar.

Like others have said choose the one you are most interested in culturally - I do German due to my recent visits to Germany and find it a lot more enjoyable and wish I took it for GCSE as I find it more interesting than French culture.
Allie4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
imo german
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (75)
37.69%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (21)
10.55%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.53%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (49)
24.62%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.56%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.04%

Watched Threads