The Student Room Group

Physics Homework HELP!

I've been trying to do this question for ages using trigonometry and various other methods but cannot. Here's the question:

An object is displaced by 60.0m at a bearing of 60.0∘. If the object then moved 30.0m due north, what is the final magnitude of displacement of the object from its origin?
Reply 1
Original post by carxlinefxrbes_
I've been trying to do this question for ages using trigonometry and various other methods but cannot. Here's the question:

An object is displaced by 60.0m at a bearing of 60.0∘. If the object then moved 30.0m due north, what is the final magnitude of displacement of the object from its origin?

Hi there!! I’ve attempted this question using the information you gave and came up with an answer of 52.0m (3.s.f). I’m not sure if this is the answer, but I used the cosine rule to get to this. I’ll attach the working :smile:

A621FCDD-A4CC-4347-B969-EDA92EC19613.jpg.jpeg
Thank you for attempting this and posting your working. Unfortunately I've tried this already and it didn't work so i'm trying to look at it from a different perspective by using things like Pythagoras but i'm finding it super difficult. Thank you so much anyway. :smile:
Original post by lemmens
Hi there!! I’ve attempted this question using the information you gave and came up with an answer of 52.0m (3.s.f). I’m not sure if this is the answer, but I used the cosine rule to get to this. I’ll attach the working :smile:

A621FCDD-A4CC-4347-B969-EDA92EC19613.jpg.jpeg
Reply 3
Original post by carxlinefxrbes_
Thank you for attempting this and posting your working. Unfortunately I've tried this already and it didn't work so i'm trying to look at it from a different perspective by using things like Pythagoras but i'm finding it super difficult. Thank you so much anyway. :smile:

that’s alright, sorry I couldn’t be of any more help!! I don’t see why that would be incorrect unless by magnitude it’s then wanting you to do pythagoras on the 52m length? I’m sure you’ll get there in the end!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest