criptonight
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, what exactly is 'application' for essays in AQA economics. (or maybe any exam board as they are similar) you can't get very high marks without it.

So if they asked me a question about monopolies, am I supposed to know facts about monopolies in the real world?
I know you get an extract question, where you read a paragraph and you can use that, but for the ones you don't what are they looking for in 'application' ?
Some people say the application isn't remembering facts but applying knowledge. But I am just not sure what they mean...
Aayush :)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by criptonight)
Hi, what exactly is 'application' for essays in AQA economics. (or maybe any exam board as they are similar) you can't get very high marks without it.

So if they asked me a question about monopolies, am I supposed to know facts about monopolies in the real world?
I know you get an extract question, where you read a paragraph and you can use that, but for the ones you don't what are they looking for in 'application' ?
Some people say the application isn't remembering facts but applying knowledge. But I am just not sure what they mean...
Well ... if it's something like the royal mail monopoly essay from June 2017 in the micro paper, then you'd refer to the economic article you've been given to make application points. Real world points could still be made and would still get brownie points, but it would mostly be easier to refer to the article for application.
criptonight
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aayush :))
Well ... if it's something like the royal mail monopoly essay from June 2017 in the micro paper, then you'd refer to the economic article you've been given to make application points. Real world points could still be made and would still get brownie points, but it would mostly be easier to refer to the article for application.
Ah and then what about for questions with no extract?
valentine3112
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If there is an extract included with the question then you would use a quote from that to meet the application requirement, but if there is no extract then you need to bring in an example from your own knowledge.

When saying "Some people say the application isn't remembering facts but applying knowledge. But I am just not sure what they mean..." I tutor a-level economics and wouldn't say you need specific facts that are highly detailed but to have a general understanding of a couple of case studies that can be applied. Once you have a general understanding of a case study you could apply it to several questions. When looking at monopolies you could talk about energy/water/gas suppliers or perhaps OPEC who although is a collusive oligopoly they resemble a monopoly in the market.

If your teachers don't provide you with case studies, tutor2u is a helpful resources or if you search the topic you need a case study for some revision websites may come up with helpful ideas.

Hope this has helped
criptonight
Rep:
?
(Original post by valentine3112)
If there is an extract included with the question then you would use a quote from that to meet the application requirement, but if there is no extract then you need to bring in an example from your own knowledge.

When saying "Some people say the application isn't remembering facts but applying knowledge. But I am just not sure what they mean..." I tutor a-level economics and wouldn't say you need specific facts that are highly detailed but to have a general understanding of a couple of case studies that can be applied. Once you have a general understanding of a case study you could apply it to several questions. When looking at monopolies you could talk about energy/water/gas suppliers or perhaps OPEC who although is a collusive oligopoly they resemble a monopoly in the market.

If your teachers don't provide you with case studies, tutor2u is a helpful resources or if you search the topic you need a case study for some revision websites may come up with helpful ideas.

Hope this has helped
Oh ok, so does application have to be just like one sentence? Because to get top marks you need 'supported evaluation throughout' - is it the same with application? Or do you just make a small reference in each paragraph?

Thank you very much by the way
Ben___
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Application marks are really all about applying your knowledge to the relevant content, and you can do this from using extract information and data, your own knowledge and even appropriate diagrams. It might be easy to split up the topics and put together some appropriate points from current affairs for each of these to remember for the exam. The extracts will give you a lot of information to use though, and if you are struggling to pick out points from the extract thren take a look back at the title and check you are answering the question. It's only paper 1 section B and paper 2 section B where you don't have a proper extract but they still give you a content which you can take from. But when people say it's about applying the knowledge they mean taking the fundamental theories and looking at what is appropriate for the question. For example in a question considering alcohol as a demerit good when drawing a diagram make the demand curve inelastic and then you can bring that into your response. And you should include application throughout but only if relevant.
criptonight
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ben___)
Application marks are really all about applying your knowledge to the relevant content, and you can do this from using extract information and data, your own knowledge and even appropriate diagrams. It might be easy to split up the topics and put together some appropriate points from current affairs for each of these to remember for the exam. The extracts will give you a lot of information to use though, and if you are struggling to pick out points from the extract thren take a look back at the title and check you are answering the question. It's only paper 1 section B and paper 2 section B where you don't have a proper extract but they still give you a content which you can take from. But when people say it's about applying the knowledge they mean taking the fundamental theories and looking at what is appropriate for the question. For example in a question considering alcohol as a demerit good when drawing a diagram make the demand curve inelastic and then you can bring that into your response. And you should include application throughout but only if relevant.
Thank you. So. Much.

If you're doing A level Econ too, I wish you an A* bro thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (7)
46.67%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (0)
0%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (1)
6.67%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (3)
20%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (1)
6.67%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
20%

Watched Threads