The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy second degree

I'm wanting to go back to uni and study physiotherapy but I already have a degree in photography. I have been reading online that funding for a second degree is only available if I study dentistry or medicine. Is this correct or will I get funding for a physiotherapy degree? Help!

Scroll to see replies

Hi Chase,

Physiotherapy is an Allied Health Professional which means we disregard your previous study and previous qualifications. You could be eligible to apply for Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan.

Do you have a specific course and university in mind?
Are you a UK national?
Thanks, Tégan
Reply 2
I thought this was the case but I've read that the government have changed these terms recently and allied health professions don't qualify for second degree funding. Or am I wrong?
I am wanting to study in the north, either Manchester, Leeds, Cumbria or Bradford. I am a UK national yes.
Original post by SFE Tegan
Hi Chase,

Physiotherapy is an Allied Health Professional which means we disregard your previous study and previous qualifications. You could be eligible to apply for Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan.

Do you have a specific course and university in mind?
Are you a UK national?
Thanks, Tégan
These funding rules are in place for the 19/20 academic year.

Could you give the course names or links to the courses you are interested in? We'll confirm whether they are eligible for this rule.

Thanks, Tégan

Hi,

If you were to study either of these two courses as a second degree, you'd be eligible for full support from Student Finance England.

Thanks, Duncan
Hi James,

I'm afraid your link didn't work however if it's the undergraduate course at Salford for Physiotherapy full time, this is eligible for funding as a second degree.

Thanks, Tégan
Hello there, would like to find out if I am eligible for undergraduate Physiotheraphy ( in bristol , Bournemouth, Hull university ) as second degree if I studied Sport Rehabilitation degree . I just called student finance wales and their guy said : No I am not eligible and told him is a health care course and he said doenst matter you won’t be covered . Is that right?
Original post by Pofella99
Hello there, would like to find out if I am eligible for undergraduate Physiotheraphy ( in bristol , Bournemouth, Hull university ) as second degree if I studied Sport Rehabilitation degree . I just called student finance wales and their guy said : No I am not eligible and told him is a health care course and he said doenst matter you won’t be covered . Is that right?

Hi there, I'm not able to advise on Student Finance Wales regulations as I don't know if they are the same as ours. If you were studying with SFE then you would be eligible for funding as this is an Allied Health Professional course ,as long as you are not already registered in this field.

You can contact SFW to discuss their regulations.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi there,I’m trying to find a clear answer on this same question for the September 2021 intake. For studying a second bachelors degree in Salford or Manchester Met as a U.K. national. Thank you
Original post by Dlewis04
Hi there,I’m trying to find a clear answer on this same question for the September 2021 intake. For studying a second bachelors degree in Salford or Manchester Met as a U.K. national. Thank you

Hi, is this an SFE query or SFW? What is the name of the second course?
Thanks, Isaac
Hi,I'm currently filling out my UCAS application to study Physiotherapy at UWE in 2022. I already have a degree also which I used student finance to support. Would I be eligible does anyone know to also recieve funding for my second degree (studying physiotherapy)?I'm also a UK citizen.
Original post by danielpayne1992
Hi,I'm currently filling out my UCAS application to study Physiotherapy at UWE in 2022. I already have a degree also which I used student finance to support. Would I be eligible does anyone know to also recieve funding for my second degree (studying physiotherapy)?I'm also a UK citizen.

Hi, your previous study will not affect your eligibility to study Physiotherapy.
Thanks, Isaac
Original post by tabularasa23
Hi @SFEIsaac, I know this thread is about Physio, but would the case be the same for BSc Speech and Language Therapy with Essex Uni? :smile:

Good Morning,

Speech & Language Therapy is also considered an exceptions course so can be funded even with previous study/degree.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
Anyone got an answer on this if you're living in Wales? SFW don't even seem to know their own rules I get told something different with everyone I speak to. Living in Wales, looking to study physiotherapy in England. Thanks!
Hi,I have already studied a degree in BSc Sport and Exercise Science. Would I be eligible to go onto BSc Physiotherapy at Hull University. I managed to graduate and achieved a 2:1 in Sport and Exercise science but my dream would be to qualify as a physio. I have already had funding from student finance England Thanks
Original post by Sarah1515
Anyone got an answer on this if you're living in Wales? SFW don't even seem to know their own rules I get told something different with everyone I speak to. Living in Wales, looking to study physiotherapy in England. Thanks!

Hi There,

We can’t give advice about funding from Student Finance Wales; you’ll need to contact them directly for further advice. You can find out how to contact them here: https://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/contact/

Thanks, Erin N
Original post by Macauley98
Hi,I have already studied a degree in BSc Sport and Exercise Science. Would I be eligible to go onto BSc Physiotherapy at Hull University. I managed to graduate and achieved a 2:1 in Sport and Exercise science but my dream would be to qualify as a physio. I have already had funding from student finance England Thanks

Hi There,

Physiotherapy is classed as an exception course so you should be eligible for funding for this as a second degree.

Thanks, Erin N
Hi there, I'm just looking for some similar answers. I've not long been accepted onto a 4 year physio course at Plymouth Marjon University, but I already have a degree. I also started a masters in 2020 but suspended my studies in 2020 due to health issues. Would I still be eligible even though 1) its a 4 year ingrated masters degree and 2) I've already recieved funding for a masters! SFE advisor over a chat page have said I will get the funding but I'm worried I won't. My application is still being processed and its driving me crazy not knowing!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending