What's your experience with Psychology so far? Watch

reluctantjoy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm thinking of taking psychology. I really enjoyed the subject in GCSE, but after asking friends of friends, they tend to say it's difficult and annoying - with most of the focus being on maths and statistics. Obviously that's a small sample size of opinions so I'd like to know the thoughts of all you who've taken it! How is it so far?
henleykt
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There is quite a lot of statistics and research methods, especially in the first year (but you will need to know it for when you do research proposals and your dissertation). In the other modules there is much less and the topics are much more interesting.
My biggest advice when choosing a psychology degree would be to look at the exact modules each uni do and to choose the ones that sound most interesting to you, as there is quite a bit of variety within the modules each uni teaches.

Edit : Sorry just realised this was about A-Levels
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by henleykt; 2 months ago
TheProctor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Assuming you're referring to A-Level Psychology:

During my A-Level (Edexcel), we covered mainly: obedience, prejudice, cognition (memory theories and dementia or dyslexia), the Biological Approach (brain damage, evolutionary theory of aggression, Freud's Psychodynamic theory and hormones), learning theories (classical & operant conditoning plus social learning theories) and Health Psychology (drugs).

If any of this sounds interesting then I would definitely give it a go in Year 12, however be prepared to memorize and regurgitate large volumes of information (things like definitions, explanations and STUDIES). If you do pick it, then I would strongly recommend you do active recall from the start of the year by utilizing flashcards, as that is probably the most effective way to memorize large volumes of info.

Regarding the maths, all it is really is just some simple statistical inference testing. If you happen to be doing A-Level Maths then it should be a breeze.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by TheProctor; 2 months ago
Elastichedgehog
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I've nearly finished my bachelors degree and have just accepted an offer from the University of Bath to study MSc Applied Forensic Psychology and Counselling in September (conditionally).

I never studied Psychology at A level so I was really anxious when I started my degree that it wasn't a subject I would enjoy or be any good at. Luckily I didn't need to be concerned about either of those things! Psychology is such a broad subject that encompasses so many areas but some of the general areas we've looked at across my time at university includes memory, development, aggression, neuroscience, computational psychology, emotion, criminal psychology, sleep.

I can assume A level will touch on all of these areas in less detail, so if that's something you're interested in I'd heavily recommend it! It's very essay based at degree level so that's probably something look out for if you don't enjoy being assessed in that way.

If you want to learn more about psychology I'd recommend this series on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo4p...H9KVU6&index=2
SciShow and stuff like this what introduced me to the subject and now I'm pursuing a career in the area!

Some other advice if you're looking to go further with the subject after A level (assuming you take and enjoy it) is don't be afraid of statistics! A lot of people who approach Psychology and a question that gets asked at open days a lot are about the level of maths ability you need. My course eased us into statistics and using programs like SPSS slowly and it was (strangely) really interesting. This isn't really applicable to you yet, but in case you decide you want to pursue a degree in Psychology like I did.

Good luck It's a great subject.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There's really not much Maths at all, especially at A Level. At degree level you'd do modules on statistics and research methods but the bulk of psychology is the different subsets themselves, social, developmental etc.
nintysixthousand
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
i did a-level psych last year and got an A! i didnt really know what i was going into but i enjoyed it the structure may change with exam board and year but i did the topics issues and debates, gender, approaches, biological psychology, research methods, social influence and memory which are split into 3 exams. I really enjoyed most of the topics apart from research methods and biopsych, but there will be parts of any subject that are worse than others. And if you use the spec and make sure you have a good textbook/revision guide then it will be good! the text book i had which i would recommend is this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Psychol...s%2C133&sr=8-1
catherineclyro
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There are a lot of statistics - but this generally won't be until you go to university. I did AQA a level psychology and there were no stats, just a lot of case studies/experiment to learn.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Liverpool
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (274)
31.53%
The paper was reasonable (423)
48.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (105)
12.08%
It was TERRIBLE (67)
7.71%

Watched Threads