The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by markova21
Do you have a driving licence? If so you could always apply to become a courier/delivery person or even a taxi driver.

no i don't.
Original post by bic_
Fam go to another country in europe or asia teach english for a year it's easy as **** and you can earn a killing, especially if you live somewhere cheap. Have a good time, try learn the language, go out and just meet new people. You won't regret it and will have a better idea of what you want to do by the end, hopefully with some savings.

oof no I couldn't go to a third world country with no universal healthcare, imagine what my insurance would cost. I'd probably get malaria or dysentery or something and die lol.
I actually was teaching english in spain for a short time, because i'm part spanish, but I had a personality clash with my boss. I don't think teaching is for me. I didn't have a better idea of what I wanted to do by the end of it.
I go to a sort of counsellor every week. Last week he told me only I can change my life around and change my negative thought processes. But it's so hard. Have you ever had ambitions to do something? Do you live near any large cities? If so, most large cities have theatrical agents who are often looking for Extras and people to do walk on parts on TV. You often need your Equity card, but not always. It's long days, but the pay is good and you get to meet some interesting people. If there is a theatre nearby, they often need people to help out backstage with props and costumes, etc. I suggested these because they are a bit "different", and although not the same as a proper full time job, doing something creative might increase your confidence, and could open up doors and opportunities for you.
I go to a sort of counsellor every week. Last week he told me only I can change my life around and change my negative thought processes. But it's so hard. Have you ever had ambitions to do something? Do you live near any large cities? If so, most large cities have theatrical agents who are often looking for Extras and people to do walk on parts on TV. You often need your Equity card, but not always. It's long days, but the pay is good and you get to meet some interesting people. If there is a theatre nearby, they often need people to help out backstage with props and costumes, etc. I suggested these because they are a bit "different", and although not the same as a proper full time job, doing something creative might increase your confidence, and could open up doors and opportunities for you.

yeah I hate it when they say that, it makes me despair that they say no one can help me but me, because I'm stuck then.
I'm sure I had ambitions but they all fell through the pan lol. I used to want to act. I wouldn't do it now though, as I'm a bit chubby and not looking my best, and image tends to be important with these things. I wouldn't want to expose myself on tv or on stage and embarrass myself. All I want to do is hide tbh.
Reply 44
Original post by Anonymous
oof no I couldn't go to a third world country with no universal healthcare, imagine what my insurance would cost. I'd probably get malaria or dysentery or something and die lol.
I actually was teaching english in spain for a short time, because i'm part spanish, but I had a personality clash with my boss. I don't think teaching is for me. I didn't have a better idea of what I wanted to do by the end of it.

Bro don't take offence to this cos this is completely love, you're being closed minded and creating your own problems. You are in england, people die trying to get to europe, and england is seen as the holy grail of europe because of the amount of opportunities here.

You are still young, just plough through the internet looking for something you like and apply to everything which interests you slightly and just do it. You seem to think u have hit rock bottom, so just try as much stuff out as u can cos anything is better than what ur doing now right? just sitting there posting on forums feeling sorry for yourself.

tldr just stop being closed minded and try something, anything
Then you shouldn't have a problem working behind the scenes in a theatre. Helping out backstage with costumes etc. Often after a while I think they let you try out other things too, like working on the lighting or the sound system. Lots of useful skills, and it's something a bit different to add to your CV to make it stand out.
yeah I hate it when they say that, it makes me despair that they say no one can help me but me, because I'm stuck then.
I'm sure I had ambitions but they all fell through the pan lol. I used to want to act. I wouldn't do it now though, as I'm a bit chubby and not looking my best, and image tends to be important with these things. I wouldn't want to expose myself on tv or on stage and embarrass myself. All I want to do is hide tbh.
I'm sure you need experience for that though, or at least contacts in the theatre world? You can't just start working backstage with costumes, with no experience.
Then you shouldn't have a problem working behind the scenes in a theatre. Helping out backstage with costumes etc. Often after a while I think they let you try out other things too, like working on the lighting or the sound system. Lots of useful skills, and it's something a bit different to add to your CV to make it stand out.
Why not start going to the gym or working towards getting your driving licence if you aren't ready for a job? That would give you some motivation to do something everyday whilst also doing something productive.
Most amateur dramatics societies are crying out for people to help out backstage. My aunty did it for years, helping make sure the right actor had the correct costume, etc. After doing it for about ten years she finally gained enough courage to appear on stage herself in a production, although didn't have a speaking part.
I'm sure you need experience for that though, or at least contacts in the theatre world? You can't just start working backstage with costumes, with no experience.
Why not start going to the gym or working towards getting your driving licence if you aren't ready for a job? That would give you some motivation to do something everyday whilst also doing something productive.

I have a heart condition and dyslexia, I'm not sure I could do either *sigh* I know it sounds like I'm just making excuses for everything but it's true.
also, both of those things cost money, which I don't have.
I imagine that was on a voluntary basis?
Most amateur dramatics societies are crying out for people to help out backstage. My aunty did it for years, helping make sure the right actor had the correct costume, etc. After doing it for about ten years she finally gained enough courage to appear on stage herself in a production, although didn't have a speaking part.
Original post by bic_
Bro don't take offence to this cos this is completely love, you're being closed minded and creating your own problems. You are in england, people die trying to get to europe, and england is seen as the holy grail of europe because of the amount of opportunities here.

You are still young, just plough through the internet looking for something you like and apply to everything which interests you slightly and just do it. You seem to think u have hit rock bottom, so just try as much stuff out as u can cos anything is better than what ur doing now right? just sitting there posting on forums feeling sorry for yourself.

tldr just stop being closed minded and try something, anything

yeah well i guess it wont be the holy grail much longer lol.
I can't really afford to travel atm. sorry.
Have a look at voluntary internships abroad if you can't afford to travel at the moment. Most of them pay for your living expenses, food, rent and sometimes even trips outside of the work all in exchange for "volunteering" at their organisation. most of the time the only thing you have to pay for is flights and getting to the airport. Its a great way to make new friends and also experience some parts of the world which you wouldn't think of visiting
yeah well i guess it wont be the holy grail much longer lol.
I can't really afford to travel atm. sorry.
Have a look at voluntary internships abroad if you can't afford to travel at the moment. Most of them pay for your living expenses, food, rent and sometimes even trips outside of the work all in exchange for "volunteering" at their organisation. most of the time the only thing you have to pay for is flights and getting to the airport. Its a great way to make new friends and also experience some parts of the world which you wouldn't think of visiting

and how am I going to pay for a flight to Asia?
I'm sorry but this just isn't realistic.
no one said anything about Asia? loads of them are based in europe and flights are only £70 max one way if you go budget. People have given you so many possibilities of things to do but you really seem like you couldnt care less and just want to be lazy and have stuff handed to you. If you aren't at least willing to work for anything youre going to get nowhere in life. The volunteering at a theatre was a really good idea, requires no travel or experience and allows you to work up to a point where you could get paid, but you completely put that idea down. Good luck for the future
and how am I going to pay for a flight to Asia?
I'm sorry but this just isn't realistic.
no one said anything about Asia? loads of them are based in europe and flights are only £70 max one way if you go budget. People have given you so many possibilities of things to do but you really seem like you couldnt care less and just want to be lazy and have stuff handed to you. If you aren't at least willing to work for anything youre going to get nowhere in life. The volunteering at a theatre was a really good idea, requires no travel or experience and allows you to work up to a point where you could get paid, but you completely put that idea down. Good luck for the future

i thought you mentioned asia in the beginning.
anyway there's no need to be rude. I didn't put down the theatre idea. acting just isn't for me.
this thread was more about my studies anyways, but i guess that's a lost cause.
I am coming from a good place when I say this, but you are really not in touch with reality. Throughout this feed you've been given every possible direction you can go in, you have to pick one, the universe isn't going to stand still for you.

1. Finish your degree.
2. Focus on your mental health.
3. Get a job, its not gonna be your dream job, but you'd need to persevere.
4. Go abroad to uni, or find work abroad.
5. Switch degree courses.
6. Do nothing and watch life pass you by.

Which-ever one of those you choose, you have to choose one, if you don't, inherently, you're choosing the sixth option.

Although, I don't think you mean to be, your attitude comes off slightly entitled, you seem to think there's an answer to your problem, and yet, you have implied that you're not willing to take any of the options in front of you. I think you need to get in touch with the reality that this is fundamentally a problem you have to solve, and nobody is going to give you the solution on a platter, you're going to need to work for it, and due to the current delays due to mental health, doors have now closed and you're at a disadvantage, to be able to work up to where you would've been without these issues its going to take A LOT of hard work and doing some stuff you don't want to do. Fact of life is, you end up doing a lot of stuff you don't want to do.

You seem to pin everything on, I don't want to do this, or I feel sick at the idea of work etc. You don't seem taking responsibility for your own emotions, if you feel crap about working, that's on you, not the system. If you don't like the idea of something, that's on you, not the system.

Don't get me wrong, you're not alone in this, there are LOTS of people particularly in their twenties and teens who are in the same boat, don't do anything they don't want to do; but it drags you down! You end up doing things you wanna do FAR less 24/7 if you don't take on board the basic inconveniences of life and the hard-work to get to the places you wanna be. Its not easy, if it was, everybody would have their dream job, they don't.

Pick yourself up and face the music, don't avoid it, it seems like that's what you're doing.

I reiterate this is coming from a good place, I say this cause I think this is what you need to hear, even if it isn't easy to hear.
This exactly
Original post by henry1999
i am coming from a good place when i say this, but you are really not in touch with reality. Throughout this feed you've been given every possible direction you can go in, you have to pick one, the universe isn't going to stand still for you.

1. Finish your degree.

Which-ever one of those you choose, you have to choose one, if you don't, inherently, you're choosing the sixth option.

Although, i don't think you mean to be, your attitude comes off slightly entitled, you seem to think there's an answer to your problem, and yet, you have implied that you're not willing to take any of the options in front of you. I think you need to get in touch with the reality that this is fundamentally a problem you have to solve, and nobody is going to give you the solution on a platter, you're going to need to work for it, and due to the current delays due to mental health, doors have now closed and you're at a disadvantage, to be able to work up to where you would've been without these issues its going to take a lot of hard work and doing some stuff you don't want to do. Fact of life is, you end up doing a lot of stuff you don't want to do.

You seem to pin everything on, i don't want to do this, or i feel sick at the idea of work etc. You don't seem taking responsibility for your own emotions, if you feel crap about working, that's on you, not the system. If you don't like the idea of something, that's on you, not the system.

Don't get me wrong, you're not alone in this, there are lots of people particularly in their twenties and teens who are in the same boat, don't do anything they don't want to do; but it drags you down! You end up doing things you wanna do far less 24/7 if you don't take on board the basic inconveniences of life and the hard-work to get to the places you wanna be. Its not easy, if it was, everybody would have their dream job, they don't.

Pick yourself up and face the music, don't avoid it, it seems like that's what you're doing.

I reiterate this is coming from a good place, i say this cause i think this is what you need to hear, even if it isn't easy to hear.
I don't know what you mean by saying I'm not in touch with reality. I am all too aware of what my reality is, thank you very much, and it sucks, and if saying it sucks makes me sound entitled, then so be it, it doesn't change anything.
Thank you for your input.
Original post by henry1999
I am coming from a good place when I say this, but you are really not in touch with reality. Throughout this feed you've been given every possible direction you can go in, you have to pick one, the universe isn't going to stand still for you.

1. Finish your degree.

Although, I don't think you mean to be, your attitude comes off slightly entitled, you seem to think there's an answer to your problem, and yet, you have implied that you're not willing to take any of the options in front of you. I think you need to get in touch with the reality that this is fundamentally a problem you have to solve, and nobody is going to give you the solution on a platter, you're going to need to work for it, and due to the current delays due to mental health, doors have now closed and you're at a disadvantage, to be able to work up to where you would've been without these issues its going to take A LOT of hard work and doing some stuff you don't want to do. Fact of life is, you end up doing a lot of stuff you don't want to do.

You seem to pin everything on, I don't want to do this, or I feel sick at the idea of work etc. You don't seem taking responsibility for your own emotions, if you feel crap about working, that's on you, not the system. If you don't like the idea of something, that's on you, not the system.

Don't get me wrong, you're not alone in this, there are LOTS of people particularly in their twenties and teens who are in the same boat, don't do anything they don't want to do; but it drags you down! You end up doing things you wanna do FAR less 24/7 if you don't take on board the basic inconveniences of life and the hard-work to get to the places you wanna be. Its not easy, if it was, everybody would have their dream job, they don't.

I reiterate this is coming from a good place, I say this cause I think this is what you need to hear, even if it isn't easy to hear.

Latest

Trending

Trending