The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
you were insulting. 'though frankly i don't hold out much hope'- insulting.
you obviously didn't read my OP before commenting. I dont think your fit to be giving out advice at all on a public forum if you think that all entry level jobs require degrees, that I'm doomed unless I finish my degree. I'm probably doomed anyway but a degree isn't the be and end all, especially one from the OU. Not all entry level jobs require degrees, most actually don't. An OU degree wouldn't have guaranteed me a great job.

It was an observation, not an insult. You simply took it as insulting. I did read your OP, though decided to skim most of it considering it was just you complaining about life before saying you didn't like working hard/trying in the same sentence.

I said most entry level jobs require degrees, because they do. I never said all. And the entry level jobs that don't require degrees, the large majority of those won't have great career trajectory. I don't think you're fit to be on a public forum if you can't read.

I didn't say you are doomed if you don't finish your degree, I said you will likely be stuck in dead end jobs. Which is true.

I don't know where you got the idea that I suggested an OU degree will give guarantee you a great job? I simply pointed out that your failure to complete even that shows you have no work ethic and would rather wallow in self-pity than actually try. You've already dropped out of two degrees, and are talking about starting another one? This reeks of you being scared of committing/realising you need to grow up and that life doesn't just hand everything to you on a plate. What makes you think your next degree at Brunel (or whatever the uni was, can't be bothered to go back 5 pages and check) will be any different?

Open your eyes. You are the cause of all of your problems, nobody else.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 81
Firstly is there anything that actually interests you?

You have been given a lot of advice, but every response you’ve given has been negative that you can’t do it due to health or mental health problems. You feel sick doing assignments, therefore sounds like studying is not a feasible option as you need to have the motivation to do it or will continue to fail. You’ve mentioned jobs you’ve had but messed up & don’t want to take the responsibility again in future or didn’t get on with your boss - why was that, maybe they didn’t feel you had commitment or lacked motivation/work ethic was not positive?

What are your personal circumstances with regards to your support network of family & friends? How are you funding your life at present, if you aren’t working is this through student loan etc?

Only you can decide which way your life will go, but you sound like you need more support to achieve this. You will not be able to move forwards until you get your head around your personal problems & accept that you need to work out what you’re capable of doing (physically & mentally), eliminate things you can’t do or are not willing to do, then try to see what that leaves you, although at present that is sounding quite limited.
I dont know why you even bother posting if you had such a dim view of me from the beginning. In the op im merely explaining my situation as it is, im sorry you cba to read properly but that's not really my fault. Go and insult someone else, leave me alone.
Original post by That'sGreat
It was an observation, not an insult. You simply took it as insulting. I did read your OP, though decided to skim most of it considering it was just you complaining about life before saying you didn't like working hard/trying in the same sentence.

I said most entry level jobs require degrees, because they do. I never said all. And the entry level jobs that don't require degrees, the large majority of those won't have great career trajectory. I don't think you're fit to be on a public forum if you can't read.

I didn't say you are doomed if you don't finish your degree, I said you will likely be stuck in dead end jobs. Which is true.

I don't know where you got the idea that I suggested an OU degree will give guarantee you a great job? I simply pointed out that your failure to complete even that shows you have no work ethic and would rather wallow in self-pity than actually try. You've already dropped out of two degrees, and are talking about starting another one? This reeks of you being scared of committing/realising you need to grow up and that life doesn't just hand everything to you on a plate. What makes you think your next degree at Brunel (or whatever the uni was, can't be bothered to go back 5 pages and check) will be any different?

Open your eyes. You are the cause of all of your problems, nobody else.
I think a really great opportunity for you would be to go for that volunteering role at a Theatre backstage... it'll give you experience, confidence and look good on a CV
I imagine that was on a voluntary basis?

Yes.
Original post by Ellis1997
I think a really great opportunity for you would be to go for that volunteering role at a Theatre backstage... it'll give you experience, confidence and look good on a CV

There arent any roles like that near where I live.
Where abouts is it that you live? Can you give us a city / town?
I dont know why you even bother posting if you had such a dim view of me from the beginning. In the op im merely explaining my situation as it is, im sorry you cba to read properly but that's not really my fault. Go and insult someone else, leave me alone.

I read your OP, as I already explicitly stated. I have not insulted you, I have told you how it is. It's clear you never really wanted advice, and just made this whole thread for attention. Either way, I am going to list all of the points from my past comments again, in a list,

- You have dropped out of university twice already, and are thinking of starting a new degree. This is a classic sign of lack of willingness to commit and grow up.
- You expect to get a decent job yet refuse to complete a degree and don't want to work hard for a job
- On that point, you criticise managers of retail stores, as if you are above that. But you are not, these people work hard, something you have not shown any sign of being able to do
- You take personal offence to criticism, refuse to take in or read advice, and insult other people who are telling you the truth
- Again, you show no desire to try at anything. Start trying.

I hope this was clear enough format for you to understand, and I hope there weren't any words you didn't understand. Stop being so rude and dismissive and take the advice to fix your life. Or, don't.

Jesus crist some people really are idiots. Saying open your eyes isnt going to help.

I really don't understand why you seem so resistant to bettering yourself? Open your eyes was 3 words at the end of about 3 paragraphs explaining how to get yourself out of your situation. I'm starting to think you are a troll, or really just don't want to improve yourself. I don't know how clearer I have to make it, you want a better life but aren't willing to work for it, start working for it. And quote me if you're going to talk about me, or at least be intelligent enough to not do it straight under the post you quoted on.

Perfect example of you being dismissive of advice and refusing to even try.
Most Jobs Centres have their own Careers Adviser. Why don't you make an appointment to see one and see what they suggest?
Original post by markova21
Most Jobs Centres have their own Careers Adviser. Why don't you make an appointment to see one and see what they suggest?

That would require effort
Can I just say something about voluntary work. My son, who is 22 now, did over 400 hours voluntary work in a primary school, alongside a FT Health and Social Care course. The school was in a small village and there was no public transport there. I don't drive. I had to financially help out my son, week in week out to get a taxi to and from the school, two days a week, every week for two years. Financially it was a struggle as I don't work. Yet that work experience, along with other shorter periods of work experience led to both uni offers and job offers. Why? Probably because it showed people he was driven, committed and had a strong work ethic.
Then stay in bed all day and do f uck all with your life. But don't then go b itching and moaning to strangers on a Forum that you don't know what to do with your life.
That would require too much effort, it's over half an hour away and I don't have a car.
Original post by markova21
Then stay in bed all day and do f uck all with your life. But don't then go b itching and moaning to strangers on a Forum that you don't know what to do with your life.

why even bother commenting if youre going to be rude idiot. youre just like everyone else telling me ****, i can't afford to get a degree because they won't give me another student finance loan because i already failed two and why cant i just get a good job? you don't even need a good degree and why should i be held back to not get a good degree. read my OP i explained my whole situation there i don't know what to do with my life and people arnt helping
That would require too much effort, it's over half an hour away and I don't have a car.

Can I just say I dont know who you are but I didnt post this. Anon 6 whoever you are, youre not the OP.
why even bother commenting if youre going to be rude idiot. youre just like everyone else telling me ****, i can't afford to get a degree because they won't give me another student finance loan because i already failed two and why cant i just get a good job? you don't even need a good degree and why should i be held back to not get a good degree. read my OP i explained my whole situation there i don't know what to do with my life and people arnt helping

You're not helping.
Im the thread starter, ignore anon 6, ive reported them.
Pick up a guitar and hit the road- be a hippy and an eco warrior, hug trees, protest for peace and love- be a free spirit!

Don’t judge yourself to the standards constructed by institutions. Your life is about more than your job. What do you enjoy doing? Any hobbies?
STOP IT. Youre not fooling anyone.
Why should I do volunteering work for free? If i'm going to work for someone and have to get a taxi there i should get paid at least minimum wage but probably more as i have student loans on my past degrees to pay for (which is unfair as i didn even complete them)
Stop impersonating me or I will get the police involved.

Latest

Trending

Trending