The Student Room Group

Should you get tested for STDs before you start to become sexually active?

Bit of background, I'm female and in a long term relationship, I've never had sex(including oral) and neither did he and we're both 17. I've read that people can have STDs without any symptoms since they might've had it since birth and so there's no real way of knowing if you or your partner has it.

It's just if I have it I don't want to give it to him(through oral, since condoms are a must for sex anyways) and if he has it I don't want to get it from him. So now I'm really thinking about getting tested, but clinics often only mention that you should only get tested if you are experiencing symptoms or think you might have an STD and neither of those things suit my situation. It would just give me peace of mind.

So there... Should I and he get tested for STDs even without any sexual history and any symptoms? Is it not weird? Would they allow us to?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by VickyK55
Bit of background, I'm female and in a long term relationship, I've never had sex(including oral) and neither did he and we're both 17. I've read that people can have STDs without any symptoms since they might've had it since birth and so there's no real way of knowing if you or your partner has it.

It's just if I have it I don't want to give it to him(through oral, since condoms are a must for sex anyways) and if he has it I don't want to get it from him. So now I'm really thinking about getting tested, but clinics often only mention that you should only get tested if you are experiencing symptoms or think you might have an STD and neither of those things suit my situation. It would just give me peace of mind.

So there... Should I and he get tested for STDs even without any sexual history and any symptoms? Is it not weird? Would they allow us to?

If you're concerned then you should although it does seem unnecessary. Both me and my partner were virgins when we met and didn't get tested before, and we've been fine.
Reply 2
When would you get tested?
Original post by DrawTheLine
If you're concerned then you should although it does seem unnecessary. Both me and my partner were virgins when we met and didn't get tested before, and we've been fine.
When would you get tested?

Me personally? I don't think I would. If you mean you, then whenever. You don't have symptoms and you haven't had sex so you don't have to wait for a certain amount of time.
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
Me personally? I don't think I would. If you mean you, then whenever. You don't have symptoms and you haven't had sex so you don't have to wait for a certain amount of time.

But when going to a gynaecologist for the first time, they will do that anyway, so I don't know why it would be unnecessary, it's useful to know after all if you're at risk or not. Would a clinic mind, do you think, if I wanted to get tested with this situation as my reason?
But when going to a gynaecologist for the first time, they will do that anyway, so I don't know why it would be unnecessary, it's useful to know after all if you're at risk or not. Would a clinic mind, do you think, if I wanted to get tested with this situation as my reason?

I honestly don't know, you'd be best to ring one up and ask.

Quick Reply

Latest