The Student Room Group

Modern Languages: Durham or St Andrews

I’m from Scotland and have an unconditional offer from St. Andrews and a conditional offer (AAA Advanced Highers) from Durham for French and Spanish. I’m really struggling to choose between the two because I like them both but I wouldn’t have to pay tuition at St. Andrews and would therefore avoid a big debt.

I really like the collegiate system of Durham and it’s a very nice city with a good league table ranking but I’m a little bit out off by the ‘rah’/private school culture of the uni that I’ve heard about.

St. Andrews is a bit small but has no fees for me and the course is aimed at students with Highers so I think I might feel a bit more comfortable in my first year.

Is it possible to firm Durham with St Andrews as my insurance and swap them if I change my mind?

Any advice on anything to do with either of these unis would be great. Thank you :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi.

I'm not sufficiently clued up on the UCAS system to know whether you can switch around firm/insurance choices, so I can't help you with that, I'm afraid.

However I can suggest a few things you could consider that might help you in your decision.

First of all is to take a very close look at the course content. You may discover that one of the universities has one or more modules that you would absolutely love or absolutely hate and which are not included in the course content of the other. Examples could be literature, current affairs, practical modules such as translation, etc.

Also look at the year abroad options offered as this can be a deal breaker too. Does one or other give you the option of going somewhere that you really, really want to go to? Will you have the opportunity to spend time in both a French-speaking country and a Spanish-speaking country or will you have to choose just one? Will you have to attend a university abroad or would you have the option of applying to be an English Language Assistant or doing some kind of placement?

Accommodation is also important. What options are there and to what extent are they within your budget?

And, lastly, extra-curricular activities and social life are important too because these aspects of university life can help you settle in, make friends and feel comfortable and happy in your new home. Do you have a hobby you love? If so, do the universities have a club or society for that activity. What sort of fitness or cultural activities are available, if those are things that interest you? What's the nightlife like, if you enjoy music and clubbing?

I hope this helps you and wish you good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending