Secret Service agent installed Chinese malware onto his laptop Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 17
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
A US Secret Service agent inserted a USB drive infected with malware into his laptop after the hardware was confiscated from a Chinese woman who was arrested late last month at Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort.

Prosecutors say that the woman, Yujing Zhang, was carrying a USB drive with malware on it, four mobile phones, a laptop, and a hard drive when she was arrested while attempting to gain entry to Trump's Palm Beach resort on March 30.

In a search of Zhang's hotel room, law-enforcement officers also said they found a signal detector used to discover hidden cameras, $8,000 in cash, nine USB drives, and five SIM cards.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo suggested on Friday that Zhang may be a Chinese spy.

Cybersecurity experts were critical of Ivanovich's move, suggesting that the USB drive could have transferred a dangerous virus onto a government device.

"As a taxpayer, I'm very concerned about where Agent Ivanovich's laptop is and where it's been since he plugged a malicious USB into it. If this was the Secret Service quick reaction playbook, perhaps Zhang planned to get caught all along (not joking)," tweeted Jake Williams, a cybersecurity expert and former National Security Agency hacker.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/secr...-laptop-2019-4

Trump spends a lot of time in places that makes it very easy for foreign agents to gain access to him. It would seem that the secret service is not as competent as we would like to think. Combined, it could be really dangerous.
Last edited by AngeryPenguin; 1 week ago
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
It would seem that the secret service is not as competent as we would like to think.
Or maybe, as explained in the article, he was doing it deliberately, off-network, as a means fo proving the ill-intent of the malware.

There is no story here.
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 17
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Also, the same agent forgot to check audio when interviewing the Chinese spy:

The agent said he conducted a four-and-a-half hour interview with Zhang at the Secret Service office in West Palm Beach. There was only video but no audio recording because Ivanovich said he did not realize the audio was not working.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...228963409.html
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think she was the bigger Idiot. She claimed she was going swimming, yet didn’t even bring a swimsuit with her,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads