still having doubts about choosing a uni - please help

Watch
angelstoflyyx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,
I am an intenational student and I have received offers (Film/Media) from Portsmouth, De Montofrt, Anglia Ruskin, Canterbury Christ Church and Bedfordshire.

I have already known the area, students etc at ARU and I really love the idea of studying there. I have also heard from some people that are stuyding there that they are super happy about the lecturers and inspirations. I really like the city and atmosphere, everything seems to be amazing.

But... there is the ranking. Anglia Ruskin is on 116th place, while Portsmouth is on 51th and De Montfort is on 71th. I am really scared that it means that ARU is somewhat bad (?), but as far as I'm concerned the lecturers here are good the equipment as well. That is frightening me, because I already decided to study there and then looked at the ranking.

Is ranking THAT important? Should I worry if I can choose a higher rank university? Does it mean that something is wrong? Should I follow my heart in that particular situation, when there is a huge hap between these univeristies?

I have always been setting high goals for myself and trying to be "the best"and that situation is really driving me crazy, I don't know what should I do. I am not so sure about Portsmouth because they offered me a similar course to the one for which I have applied, which is a bit sad and less exciting, but I can get used to it. Then there is DMU and I don't know anything about the uni, I don't like city very much and heard that people are trasferring, but again, I can get used to it. Just.. my heart is telling me something else, but I can probably change its mind.

Anyone please drop me a bit of advice?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
University ranking is based on a lot of things which may not impact directly on your student experience. If you think you'll have the best experience at ARU, then that's where you should go.

"The best" in this situation isn't always the highest ranked uni- it's the one that's "the best" for you.

In some industries, uni ranking can influence your employability, but in an area like film/media, getting a job in the field afterwards is going to be far more influenced by the work experience you get and the contacts you can make whilst networking.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it is for you to decide, but there is that old British phrase, "Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know" Proverb.. If you have to choose between a familiar but unpleasant situation and an unfamiliar situation, choose the familiar one because the unfamiliar situation may turn out to be worse. Hopefully ARU won't have any devils, just great staff and keen students.

I have some friends who applied to universities a couple of years ago, they were all a top nerdy group of students, some applied to Oxford, Cambridge etc etc, and one applied to (good) Loughborough (not a 'top' place, but great) I asked her why "because I want to be the best at my college" - so she's loving it and doing great!

I think in UK Film/Media the 'absolute' best is Bournemouth, but there are quite many other good places. If you enjoyed your degree at ARU, why not try to get a top mark there and transfer to https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/...ilm-television (etc) for their MA, it would cost you another £15K, but that's real value for money. [the Masters effectively 'hides' where you get your BA, so it matters not one bit whether you study in leafy pleasant [email protected] or multi-ethnic Leicester or Bedford] (I've driven through Bedford seventy three times and never noticed that they had a university!)

I just checked ARU out , noticed they had three campuses, and I lived next to their Chelmsford campus for nearly four years, whilst I studied at my first college - which now seems to be a shopping centre but was briefly the University of East Anglia.

Which campus you'll be at?, probably Cambridge. I spent about a month living in Cambridge with friends at St. John's college, it's a great city - don't buy a car, hope they are not overcharging you for the Cambridge location, otherwise that is a great option, a real student city.
angelstoflyyx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you for the answers, the ranking is the only thing which is making my a bit scaried - but there is also TEF, and ARU has a silver one - is it bad?

LuigiMario - sorry for not stating it clearly, I am applying for the undergraduate course and it is located in Cambridge.
(Original post by LuigiMario)
it is for you to decide, but there is that old British phrase, "Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know" Proverb.. If you have to choose between a familiar but unpleasant situation and an unfamiliar situation, choose the familiar one because the unfamiliar situation may turn out to be worse. Hopefully ARU won't have any devils, just great staff and keen students.

I have some friends who applied to universities a couple of years ago, they were all a top nerdy group of students, some applied to Oxford, Cambridge etc etc, and one applied to (good) Loughborough (not a 'top' place, but great) I asked her why "because I want to be the best at my college" - so she's loving it and doing great!

I think in UK Film/Media the 'absolute' best is Bournemouth, but there are quite many other good places. If you enjoyed your degree at ARU, why not try to get a top mark there and transfer to https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/...ilm-television (etc) for their MA, it would cost you another £15K, but that's real value for money. [the Masters effectively 'hides' where you get your BA, so it matters not one bit whether you study in leafy pleasant [email protected] or multi-ethnic Leicester or Bedford] (I've driven through Bedford seventy three times and never noticed that they had a university!)

I just checked ARU out , noticed they had three campuses, and I lived next to their Chelmsford campus for nearly four years, whilst I studied at my first college - which now seems to be a shopping centre but was briefly the University of East Anglia.

Which campus you'll be at?, probably Cambridge. I spent about a month living in Cambridge with friends at St. John's college, it's a great city - don't buy a car, hope they are not overcharging you for the Cambridge location, otherwise that is a great option, a real student city.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Silver is great, (Gold would've been better,) but quite a lot of "famous" "well ranked" universities did not allow their teaching excellence standards to be ranked, so Silver TEF from 2017 is showing a very positive sign. Previous students & a panel of experts voted scientifically for the TEF, they endorse the teaching at ARU.

"TEF Silver
Based on the evidence available, the TEF Panel judged that the higher education provider [ARU] delivers high quality teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It consistently exceeds rigorous national quality requirements for UK higher education.
This award was made in June 2017 and is valid for up to 3 years."

more info, for specifically Digital media at ARU Cambs is here https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/sati...eturnTo/Search
satisfaction is here https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/sati...eturnTo/Search

(sorry if they are same link, quite an active page).
De Montfort University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by angelstoflyyx)
Hello,
I am an intenational student and I have received offers (Film/Media) from Portsmouth, De Montofrt, Anglia Ruskin, Canterbury Christ Church and Bedfordshire.

I have already known the area, students etc at ARU and I really love the idea of studying there. I have also heard from some people that are stuyding there that they are super happy about the lecturers and inspirations. I really like the city and atmosphere, everything seems to be amazing.

But... there is the ranking. Anglia Ruskin is on 116th place, while Portsmouth is on 51th and De Montfort is on 71th. I am really scared that it means that ARU is somewhat bad (?), but as far as I'm concerned the lecturers here are good the equipment as well. That is frightening me, because I already decided to study there and then looked at the ranking.

Is ranking THAT important? Should I worry if I can choose a higher rank university? Does it mean that something is wrong? Should I follow my heart in that particular situation, when there is a huge hap between these univeristies?

I have always been setting high goals for myself and trying to be "the best"and that situation is really driving me crazy, I don't know what should I do. I am not so sure about Portsmouth because they offered me a similar course to the one for which I have applied, which is a bit sad and less exciting, but I can get used to it. Then there is DMU and I don't know anything about the uni, I don't like city very much and heard that people are trasferring, but again, I can get used to it. Just.. my heart is telling me something else, but I can probably change its mind.

Hey angelstoflyyx!

Congratulations on your offers!

University rankings are sometimes a good indicator if you're looking for a course that focuses on areas such as research and academia. But I'd also have a look at the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) rankings too, this focuses more on the teaching and learning of universities so this can give you a really good insight about the style of a university. This will hopefully give you a more balanced view of all aspects of university, as each one has their own strengths!

If you can, I'd pop along to some Open Days as you can get to experience campus and speak to academics and students from Film and Media courses and ask some questions about your course (and get to know who might be lucky enough to teach you). These are fantastic events as you can get a real sense about the place you may be studying and find out more about the course and if it meets your needs. This may also help you in deciding where you would like to go.

I'm currently a postgrad at DMU and I studied Journalism and Media as my undergrad; and I remember what it was like when making this decision. I think what helped me was coming along to an Open Day because it helped make things a little more real, and helped me visualise where I could see myself studying. For me, I found that the campus was incredibly welcoming and I had a great sense of community at DMU, the lecturers were lovely and really passionate about what they were teaching and I really liked the facilities; things I don't think are given enough credit in the rankings!

I'd love to talk to you more about the course and the city, as there are some great gems and things to discover - I could talk for hours about it! But if you wanted to know a bit more, please let me know and we can have a chat!

Look forward to hearing from you!

Emi
eringfrantz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,

Hey @angelstoflyyx !

I did my MA in film and television production at ARU, and I can say that their program, both undergrad and postgrad, is really special. The facilities are really high tech - they have high spec studios, editing suites with Macs and the adobe creative suite, lots and lots of equipment, including modern professional grade film cameras. The lecturers are incredible, they are all very experienced and they really want to see students do well in the industry. Some of them have worked for the BBC and other big television companies, and others are still making films that are doing incredibly well on the indie film circuit.

The university has numerous workshops, talks, and opportunities to attend events both in Cambridge and all over the country, including opportunities to attend film festivals. Being so close to London, there are also endless opportunities to become acquainted with the film industry in a broader scope as well.

Cambridge is an amazing city for both academics and artists. They have their own film festival, and there is a huge emphasis on creativity, especially for young people. ARU facilities are very nice, and they are incredibly accommodating to international students - I am from the US. They want students to succeed and have a ton of support in regards to finances, academics, mental health, fitness, etc.

In regards to rankings, I personally don’t find them to be so important as I am much more concerned with the program itself and the lecturers and the opportunities you are given to succeed. ARU wants students to succeed, the film and television production program will set you up to do that!

Please do get in touch if you have any more questions - I’d be happy to help!

Erin
University of Portsmouth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,

Hi angelstoflyyx

Congratulations on your offers!

Not sure if you have made your decision yet or not, but thought I would offer some advice to you.

Honestly, in these situations it is best to go with your heart and where you think you, as an individual, will succeed most. If you have thoroughly researched all of the Universities you have applied for, visited them all on Open Days and have decided that Anglia Ruskin is for you then go for it. Only you know what it right for you, at the end of the day its your own personal and professional development that future employers will look at most.

Having said that, have you looked into what all the universities offer in terms of employability skills? For example here at Portsmouth we offer one unit a year to prepare you for your future career. Within the creative and cultural industries faculty in particular will help you to create your own portfolio of work, so when you do graduate you have everything in place to start looking for your next steps. Further more a lot of our units across the board include live client projects where you get experience working with actual companies and provide them with advice in return for experience. We also offer great support for finding you a placement year.

Do what you think you will enjoy most, not just the course but your overall university experience. The more you enjoy your time at university, the better you will do in your degree, you'll be more motivated to gain some experience and therefore you'll excel in your future career. University isn't just about league tables and the academic side, its about a whole rounded experience which will help you to identify and develop all the skills you need in the future.

Hope this helped

Alex - UoP Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (45)
17.24%
No one else does (82)
31.42%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.73%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (88)
33.72%
We don't use a video platform (5)
1.92%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.3%

Watched Threads