The Psychology of Fake News and Conspiracy Theories Watch

Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Want to learn more about the psychology behind fake news and conspiracy theories?

Join us for our masterclass webinar on 1 May at 6pm.

In this webinar, our Social Psychology lecturer Dr Daniel Jolley will discuss why people believe in fake news and conspiracy theories and what effect this has on society.

You can sign up here: https://bit.ly/2P2T0l4

Thanks
z-hog
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
That's a very good thing to do, here are a few suggestions of Fake News worth considering:

Saddam Hussein is sitting on a chemical arsenal and could wipe us all out in 45 minutes.

The Steele report in its entirety, widely publicised by the MSM.

Manaforte and Assange meeting at the Ecuador embassy (from The Guardian).

The Russian collusion with Trump fake news, disseminated by every outlet in the US and over here. Fox News were right all along, it was all a load of malicious crap.

The No Deal scenario and the way everyone will have hair growing in funny places if it happens.

There is no humanitarian crisis at the US Southern Border, that it's all in Trump's head.

We have 12 years left to save the planet.

This could go on and on, the falsehoods perpetrated by the media are endless. Somehow, I get a feeling that none of those will make the grade. Can we have an example of what you regard as 'fake news', before signing up?
Last edited by z-hog; 3 months ago
Staffordshire University
Rep:
?
(Original post by z-hog)
That's a very good thing to do, here are a few suggestions of Fake News worth considering:

Saddam Hussein is sitting on a chemical arsenal and could wipe us all out in 45 minutes.

The Steele report in its entirety, widely publicised by the MSM.

Manaforte and Assange meeting at the Ecuador embassy (from The Guardian).

The Russian collusion with Trump fake news, disseminated by every outlet in the US and over here. Fox News were right all along, it was all a load of malicious crap.

The No Deal scenario and the way everyone will have hair growing in funny places if it happens.

There is no humanitarian crisis at the US Southern Border, that it's all in Trump's head.

We have 12 years left to save the planet.

This could go on and on, the falsehoods perpetrated by the media are endless. Somehow, I get a feeling that none of those will make the grade. Can we have an example of what you regard as 'fake news', before signing up?
Hi z-hog

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll put these to Dan so he can consider them for the webinar.

I'll also get in touch to get an answer to your query and pop the response back on here when I have it.

Thanks

Amy
Staffordshire University
Rep:
?
(Original post by Staffordshire University)
Hi z-hog

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll put these to Dan so he can consider them for the webinar.

I'll also get in touch to get an answer to your query and pop the response back on here when I have it.

Thanks

Amy
Hi again z-hog

Just a quick one to say I've just heard that this lecturer is out of the office until next week so there might be a bit of a delay getting back to you on the above query.

Thanks

Amy
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Moved to Society.
z-hog
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi again z-hog

Just a quick one to say I've just heard that this lecturer is out of the office until next week so there might be a bit of a delay getting back to you on the above query.

Thanks

Amy
Thanks for your reply, I merely wanted to add some suggestions on the topic of fake news and no reply is required. Best of luck for everyone.
Just my opinion
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The BBC reporting that during the miners strike at orgreave, mounted police baton charged unarmed miners in response to having Stones thrown at them.
The truth was the other way round.
Miners threw Stones at the police in response to being baton charged.
BBC new this and it took them over 10 yearsThe to tell the truth.
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Why do people have a hard time believing conspiracies that turn out to be true? Is it a problem of cognitive dissonance?
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
People believe stuff because it might be true. There really are actual conspiracies to get the public to believe something that isn't the most accurate representation of the truth for all sorts of political and financial reasons. There's confirmation bias in there too, but you'd be a fool to trust politicians and the media don't want to influence public opinion.
Johnpolo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Want to learn more about the psychology behind fake news and conspiracy theories?

Join us for our masterclass webinar on 1 May at 6pm.

In this webinar, our Social Psychology lecturer Dr Daniel Jolley will discuss why people believe in fake news and conspiracy theories and what effect this has on society.

You can sign up here: https://bit.ly/2P2T0l4

Thanks
There are conspiracy theories and are true but as someone else noted theres confirmation bias
Just my opinion
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/0...ruton-scandal/
Fake news.
The duplicitous sleight of hand by the NS to bring down Sir Roger Scruton.
Staffordshire University
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by z-hog)
Thanks for your reply, I merely wanted to add some suggestions on the topic of fake news and no reply is required. Best of luck for everyone.
Hi z-hog

In relation to your last query, I've spoken to the lecturer who said that in the webinar he'll be speaking quite broadly about fake news, and the psychology of fake news and conspiracy theories - rather than looking at specific examples of fake news in depth. I hope that helps.

Thanks

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (127)
19.54%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (62)
9.54%
No I am happy with my course choice (368)
56.62%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise