Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
before you yell at me, please read what i have to say:
i'm indian, and i've lived in around York a very long time. unfortunately, i was bullied for being brown for a long time as well, thus for uni being in a racially diverse area is really important to me. it's also important to me that there are asian shops etc- i can't really cook anything that's not indian or korean. i'm currently um-ing and ah-ing between southampton and bristol for medicine. i prefer the southampton course but am worried about living there as an ethnic minority, especially after the whole computer science document thing. so for anybody of an ethnic minority who goes to/is considering southampton, how is it?
Kraytz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lots of brown people - indian/sri lankan/pakistani/hijabis in general
Black people - not as much but they're around and they generally stick together
Lots of chinese exchange students
The uni and area is predominantly white but I'd say it's well diverse.

The student life is lacking here IMO - basically only clubbing, restaurants, going to the docks but we do have Bournemouth beach nearby....
Last edited by Kraytz; 2 years ago
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i'm indian, and i've lived in around York a very long time. unfortunately, i was bullied for being brown for a long time as well, thus for uni being in a racially diverse area is really important to me. it's also important to me that there are asian shops etc- i can't really cook anything that's not indian or korean. i'm currently um-ing and ah-ing between southampton and bristol for medicine. i prefer the southampton course but am worried about living there as an ethnic minority, especially after the whole computer science document thing. so for anybody of an ethnic minority who goes to/is considering southampton, how is it?
Hey there :hugs:
Understand your concerns but as a current student at the University of Southampton, can confirm it's v diverse
There are many Asian shops and shops for international foods etc which are v popular. Main area is about a 15 min walk from campus in portswood the city centre has lots of nice restaurants as well :yy:

I think the student life is quite good although it does depend on what you want to do! I like going to the student cinema and various events societies put on , not much of a clubber
feel free to ask any more questions!
Cheese
Clumby
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Please note: Not an official rep

This is rather coincidental, but I'm a current Southampton student from Bristol.

For what it's worth: I don't feel there is any difference between Bristolian/Southampton attitudes towards minorities, I can confidently say that that neither city is less diverse than the other.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello!

Fourth year medic here! The course itself is quite diverse! It is still majority white British (most medical schools probably are, I'd bet) but as someone of an ethnic minority myself, I have not at all experienced any discrimination. People come from everywhere in my cohort, as one of the lecturers pointed out on day one, and it is something we all embrace in the medical school in Southampton. I have never felt out of place. I am sure the faculty would act quickly and effectively if I ever reported any discrimination or bullying.

As for the university itself, it is very diverse. The union does events promoting cultures from other countries; I remember the MalaysiaSoc event being pretty great, for example. You could walk from the library to the campus pub (literally across the road from each other) on a warm day and hear 7 different languages easily. There is an excellent international food store in Portswood (very student-y area) that sells ingredients and spices from different ends of Asia, which I'm confident can cater to your cooking needs. Overall, I find Southampton a very diverse environment to be in and those comp-sci students are ugly exceptions from the kind of people we have here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (62)
22.22%
Excited but a bit nervous (126)
45.16%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.9%
I'm really nervous (55)
19.71%

Watched Threads