I'm an autistic girl, ask me (almost) anything

Watch
furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
April is autism awareness month. Increasingly people have a basic awareness of what autism looks like in boys, particularly the stereotypical train and computer obsessed geek, but in girls it can be quite different.

For example, girls might make good eye contact and on the surface appear to have decent social skills. But these tend to be learnt over time and not come naturally to them. Many girls hide their autism in public well- this is known as masking. It takes a lot of effort though and they may break down when they get home, or when very tired. Other characteristics include:
- Watching and mimicking others, especially in social situations
- Having one 'special' friend, particularly when younger
- Being extremely interested in art, music, animals or celebrities- beyond what is 'normal'
- Vivid imagination and creating their own, very detailed 'world' to live in or imaginary friends (again particularly when younger)
- Needing to plan carefully, know the rules and maintain control with food, play, routine etc to minimise unexpected change
- Being sensitive to noise, light, texture and touch.

Girls are often misdiagnosed with bipolar or BPD before autism, and late diagnosis in general is very common. Many autistic girls will also develop anxiety, depression and eating disorders among other conditions.

As the title says, ask me pretty much anything about autism in general, how it affects me, whatever else you want to know
If you've made it this far through the post, congratulations and thank you
Last edited by furryface12; 1 year ago
Scrollery
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey I'm also autistic, how do you handle when you have a crush on someone (if you don't mind me asking)?

I just want to know how other autistic people handle their crush.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by furryface12)
April is autism awareness month. Increasingly people have a basic awareness of what autism looks like in boys, particularly the stereotypical train and computer obsessed geek, but in girls it can be quite different.

For example, girls might make good eye contact and on the surface appear to have decent social skills. But these tend to be learnt over time and not come naturally to them. Many girls hide their autism in public well- this is known as masking. It takes a lot of effort though and they may break down when they get home, or when very tired. Other characteristics include:
- Being extremely interested in art, music, animals or celebrities- beyond what is 'normal'
- Vivid imagination and creating their own, very detailed 'world' to live in or imaginary friends (again particularly when younger)
- Needing to plan carefully, know the rules and maintain control with food, play, routine etc to minimise unexpected change

Girls are often misdiagnosed with bipolar or BPD before autism, and late diagnosis in general is very common. Many autistic girls will also develop anxiety, depression and eating disorders among other conditions.

I hope that was informative! As the title says, ask me pretty much anything about autism in general, how it affects me, whatever else you want to know.
I (male) also exhibit all these signs. I thought they were all generic.
1Secord
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello! I’m also autistic and I am so thrilled I found this thread. I love that we can open ip a conversation between fellow autistics and how they cope with things!

Scrollery hi! I’ll be honest, I don’t handle crushes very well. It’s all I tend to think about for a very short period of time, before I get bored.
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
furryface12

Great thread! When were you diagnosed with Autism? What was the process of this?

In my work, I work with a lot of children, who are going through the process and I often provide supporting evidence for this. I find that girls often do present more 'subtly' with it, however of course each child is different. I'm less aware of the process of diagnosis for teenagers/adults, so if anyone has any information for this please do let me know
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How does your autism personally impact your daily life?What challenges have you faced specifically?
Emma1999_
Badges: 14
Report 1 year ago
II'm very similar and have been tested . Everyone says I haven't got it because I have reasonably good grades and have had no learning and development issues however ;
I remember small details
Constantly think I'm in some sort of show creating storylines up to almost make the bad things in my life seem like I'm just acting
Obsessive
Love a routine and will get upset if broken
Very clingy needing lots of reassurance mainly from adults other than my parents
Scared of leaving places to the point I cry all the time about it
Fear of never seeing my friends or them leaving me
Struggling to almost be like everyone else
Would you say I'm displaying signs and has anyone got any tips for me to start to live a more better life that doesn't mean I'm crying constantly
15nfulfsa
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hey!

recently I was diagnosed with autism and ADHD, and that was a massive blow, and it took me a while to be able to cope with it. how did you cope when you first found out?

I hope that was informative! As the title says, ask me pretty much anything about autism in general, how it affects me, whatever else you want to know.
15nfulfsa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
to me it just sounds like you have anxiety, as some of these symptons were present in my sister when she was diagnosed with anxiety.

have you ever had suicidal thoughts?
(Original post by Emma1999_)
II'm very similar and have been tested . Everyone says I haven't got it because I have reasonably good grades and have had no learning and development issues however ;
I remember small details
Constantly think I'm in some sort of show creating storylines up to almost make the bad things in my life seem like I'm just acting
Obsessive
Very clingy needing lots of reassurance mainly from adults other than my parents
Would you say I'm displaying signs and has anyone got any tips for me to start to live a more better life that doesn't mean I'm crying constantly
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago

What do you think of the term "Asperger's syndrome"? Do you think the name should be changed?
Emma1999_
Report 1 year ago
Yeah normally because of leaving school and distruption to my routine the fear of leaving college now is terrifying me as well not that bad currently.
Also because I'm currently obessed with things do i eat in a certain way also have done since a young age and it's a pattern
Will do patterns for everything and will sometimes have to do certain things and the thoughts normally come from my lack of ability to control these. Sorry if that's a lot to understand I don't really know how else to explain I just wanted to see if people had tips to try and ease this all
(Original post by 15nfulfsa)
to me it just sounds like you have anxiety, as some of these symptons were present in my sister when she was diagnosed with anxiety.

have you ever had suicidal thoughts?
15nfulfsa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
some tips that worked for her were: if you feel that there are things like demons that mess up your life, give them silly names and face them head on, running from them only makes things worse.
try to go out, and do extracurricular activities. even though they may seem very daunting and scary at the time, it will get better after you have first started doing it.
try to find a new way of living life. an example would be trying to break thhe habits you cherish, even if they are slightly going wrong for you, like going to bed at 9pm instead of BEING in bed at 9pm. things like this will help you when you move out (which you will have to do eventually, might as well face it head on)
crying can be a temporary relief at times, but it makes you even more messed up, trust me.
I remember small details
Obsessive
15nfulfsa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
are you normally quite hyper, as in, have lots of energy? because you are showing a few symptoms of an ADHD like me if you do
Yeah normally because of leaving school and distruption to my routine the fear of leaving college now is terrifying me as well not that bad currently.
Also because I'm currently obessed with things do i eat in a certain way also have done since a young age and it's a pattern
Will do patterns for everything and will sometimes have to do certain things and the thoughts normally come from my lack of ability to control these. Sorry if that's a lot to understand I don't really know how else to explain I just wanted to see if people had tips to try and ease this all
Emma1999_
Report 1 year ago
Thank you the bed was could be a good one to try I excessive sleep to the point last summer I was getting up at 12 being in bed for 5. I don't have any friends that I see regularly and thats issue also don't get on with parents well so can feel really lonely sometimes that's why I like doing work and revision
some tips that worked for her were: if you feel that there are things like demons that mess up your life, give them silly names and face them head on, running from them only makes things worse.
try to go out, and do extracurricular activities. even though they may seem very daunting and scary at the time, it will get better after you have first started doing it.
try to find a new way of living life. an example would be trying to break thhe habits you cherish, even if they are slightly going wrong for you, like going to bed at 9pm instead of BEING in bed at 9pm. things like this will help you when you move out (which you will have to do eventually, might as well face it head on)
crying can be a temporary relief at times, but it makes you even more messed up, trust me.
15nfulfsa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yeah, I guess liking to do work and revision isn't the worst habit you could get into
I don't get on with my parents, I came to this forum looking for a job and got sidetracked, and here I am now. the thing that works for me is to just stay out of their way, but when you have to see them at dinner, be really happy and friendly, and life might get better
Thank you the bed was could be a good one to try I excessive sleep to the point last summer I was getting up at 12 being in bed for 5. I don't have any friends that I see regularly and thats issue also don't get on with parents well so can feel really lonely sometimes that's why I like doing work and revision
Emma1999_
Report 1 year ago
are you normally quite hyper, as in, have lots of energy? because you are showing a few symptoms of an ADHD like me if you do
I suppose yeah I am at college I'm quite loud and outspoken at home I want to be but I have strict parents so if I am hyper I get told off
15nfulfsa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
but if you are hyper, then get a test for ADD or ADHD
I suppose yeah I am at college I'm quite loud and outspoken at home I want to be but I have strict parents so if I am hyper I get told off
Emma1999_
Report 1 year ago
yeah, I guess liking to do work and revision isn't the worst habit you could get into
I don't get on with my parents, I came to this forum looking for a job and got sidetracked, and here I am now. the thing that works for me is to just stay out of their way, but when you have to see them at dinner, be really happy and friendly, and life might get better
I could try that thanks . Good luck finding a job I am looking as well quite difficult.
Emma1999_
Report 1 year ago
I will ask for one thank you
but if you are hyper, then get a test for ADD or ADHD
15nfulfsa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
np, I went for years without knowing what was wrong with me, but parents can adapt and change once they find out different things about you, and the reasons for the things they do

I will ask for one thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (513)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.25%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (311)
20.46%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.54%

Watched Threads