First image of black hole ever taken Watch

The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47873592

It measures 40 billion km across - three million times the size of the Earth - and has been described by scientists as "a monster".

Finally we get to see a real black-hole with our very eyes, and let me tell you it was not what I expected. I expected the black hole to be just one big hole in the space, with very little white light but in this image the black hole is surrounded by red light.
It truly is very fascinating how fast we are advancing with technology, in maybe 200 years we might even get a look of what is inside the black hole.
Sirena_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know right? I never imagined that we would actually see a black hole in our lifetime. It's insane.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Intriguing
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Such a nice image, from 500 Septillion meters away.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Bio 7; 1 week ago
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The RAR)

It measures 40 billion km across - three million times the size of the Earth - and has been described by scientists as "a monster".

Finally we get to see a real black-hole with our very eyes, and let me tell you it was not what I expected. I expected the black hole to be just one big hole in the space, with very little white light but in this image the black hole is surrounded by red light.
It truly is very fascinating how fast we are advancing with technology, in maybe 200 years we might even get a look of what is inside the black hole.
The stuff around it isn't the black hole. The image is essentially a plughole draining water, and we're seeing the water swirling. The image shows clearly that something is making all the stardust accumulate and heat up, but we're not seeing the actual black hole itself.

That said, I'm glad there's an actual article explaining the science rather than just what the BBC initially led with "OMG a woman can do science!".
ilem
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The most interesting thing about this is how much they're pushing that woman who was merely a part (not even the leader) of a 200-strong team and certainly did not do this by herself.
The RAR
Rep:
?
(Original post by ilem)
The most interesting thing about this is how much they're pushing that woman who was merely a part (not even the leader) of a 200-strong team and certainly did not do this by herself.
Yeah I noticed that as well. But her skills are very amazing, you can't deny it. I more interested in the science, I don't like bringing politics into this
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Name:  FB_IMG_1554993433705.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  35.5 KB
The RAR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sirena_)
I know right? I never imagined that we would actually see a black hole in our lifetime. It's insane.
Too bad Stephen Hawkings could not see it in time
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah I noticed that as well. But her skills are very amazing, you can't deny it. I more interested in the science, I don't like bringing politics into this
Her skills are good but there are people who wrote a ton more of the code than her and did a LOT more work that are getting no recognition.
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
is it just me or when you look at the image it's like some optical illusion with your eyes
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

It was incredible to see. Sad that those excellent minds who pushed the idea were unable to see it.
Kraggor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
is it just me or when you look at the image it's like some optical illusion with your eyes
Yeah it seems to move when I look at it :laugh:

Shocked in amazement that the one doing all the algorithms for this is only 29?! :eek:
If I could be doing something that crazy in 6 years then that would be brilliant

Maybe I could be the first one to discover a white hole?
Decahedron
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Are you sure it isn't a K hole?
JoshDarnIt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wonder if that's what Ant-Man sees as he's entering Thanos' butthole .
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's cool that they've done it, but at the same time they could've told me it was a photoshopped ******* and I would've probably believed them. Get me one swallowing a sun or smth dangit nasa
AJ126
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm sure someone will be on here complaining about how space is a waste of money.Even though they literally took a picture of the point where the universe quite possibly ends.If that's not fascinating I don't know what is.
Just my opinion
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ilem)
Up next... "BLACK HOLES MATTER"

Or anti matter, I don't know.🤔
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (311)
37.61%
No - but I will (64)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise