History HL or Business HL? Watch

chloe.gren
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone!
So the time for me to choose my DP package has come. I want to study law, and I am hesitating whether to pick History or Business HL.
My teacher said it was "nearly impossible" to get over a 5/8 in History so that is worrying because some universities look at HL grades specifically, and even if they didn't I'm afraid it will lower my overall score. Business doesn't seem too bad and I'm sure I would do better than History, even if I enjoy it much less. Is it better to pick something that I don't mind and would "guarantee" a higher end score or something that I enjoy but will struggle with?
Anyone taking History that could tell me if it's actually that hard? Or worth taking?
missingh1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I'm in Year 1 of IB taking History HL (European route so Italian unification, Russia etc.)It is a lot, but I am currently revising it at the moment for my end of years (goes towards predictions) and honestly, it's difficult. But this can be said for every IB subject, especially at IB. I think for Law however, it is a particularly good subject to take as they prefer essay based subjects. I know 3 people who applied for law and they all did HL History and 2 have offers from Cambridge and the other from Oxford. I think personally History is a better choice at HL for Law, as it will show the University that you have the arguing and writing skills required for Law. About what your teacher said about the grades: I was never the top of my class for History, I got a C in my GCSE mock but worked hard and got an A* in the GCSE, but I just really enjoyed it and I thought for IB it would be a rewarding subject to take. I started off in my history class getting 10/15 in my essays, which was a low 5. Now I've scored 12/15 in my recent essays which is a high 6 so hopefully with another year that can be pushed up to a 7 with more practice. The reason why I said all those scores was just to show you that it is possible to do history as long as you put the work in and really take on board how to improve your essays and ask for help if you are ever stuck! I hope this is all alright info but feel free to ask me more questions if you need, I'd be happy to help
chloe.gren
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Great, thanks so much! This really helps and you really convinced me about picking history. Good luck with your revisions
(Original post by missingh1)
Hi, I'm in Year 1 of IB taking History HL (European route so Italian unification, Russia etc.)It is a lot, but I am currently revising it at the moment for my end of years (goes towards predictions) and honestly, it's difficult. But this can be said for every IB subject, especially at IB. I think for Law however, it is a particularly good subject to take as they prefer essay based subjects. I know 3 people who applied for law and they all did HL History and 2 have offers from Cambridge and the other from Oxford. I think personally History is a better choice at HL for Law, as it will show the University that you have the arguing and writing skills required for Law. About what your teacher said about the grades: I was never the top of my class for History, I got a C in my GCSE mock but worked hard and got an A* in the GCSE, but I just really enjoyed it and I thought for IB it would be a rewarding subject to take. I started off in my history class getting 10/15 in my essays, which was a low 5. Now I've scored 12/15 in my recent essays which is a high 6 so hopefully with another year that can be pushed up to a 7 with more practice. The reason why I said all those scores was just to show you that it is possible to do history as long as you put the work in and really take on board how to improve your essays and ask for help if you are ever stuck! I hope this is all alright info but feel free to ask me more questions if you need, I'd be happy to help
strafa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chloe.gren)
Hi everyone!
So the time for me to choose my DP package has come. I want to study law, and I am hesitating whether to pick History or Business HL.
My teacher said it was "nearly impossible" to get over a 5/8 in History so that is worrying because some universities look at HL grades specifically, and even if they didn't I'm afraid it will lower my overall score. Business doesn't seem too bad and I'm sure I would do better than History, even if I enjoy it much less. Is it better to pick something that I don't mind and would "guarantee" a higher end score or something that I enjoy but will struggle with?
Anyone taking History that could tell me if it's actually that hard? Or worth taking?
If you're planning on studying law, then I'd 100% go with History as I am very sure that it is highly recommend subject to take by universities. This is most probably due to it being a really essay based subject in which it shows your argumentative writing skills, a skill that is of course essential when you're doing law.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...