How to reference five authors in my assignment? Watch

BatmanRH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
So I've written a quote from a book that has five authors e.g. "the sky is blue" (........)

How many authors do I put at the end in-text? Is it the main author et al then the date?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by BatmanRH)
So I've written a quote from a book that has five authors e.g. "the sky is blue" (........)

How many authors do I put at the end in-text? Is it the main author et al then the date?
In the in text citation, anything over 2 authors is "et al"- so Smith et al (2001) or (Smith et al, 2001). All authors should be included in the citation in your reference list/bibliography.
BatmanRH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
If it's not a direct quotation, what would you put? E.g. Johnson and Pain observe that the sky is blue...
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
In the in text citation, anything over 2 authors is "et al"- so Smith et al (2001) or (Smith et al, 2001). All authors should be included in the citation in your reference list/bibliography.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by BatmanRH)
If it's not a direct quotation, what would you put? E.g. Johnson and Pain observe that the sky is blue...
Johnson and Pain (2001) observe that...

or

It has been observed that... (Johnson and Pain, 2001).

You indicate a direct quote with quotation marks, otherwise it's assumed not to be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (364)
67.03%
No (179)
32.97%

Watched Threads