BurstingBubbles
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi all!

This thread is for anyone with loved ones who have Dementia or anyone with Dementia to chat and get support. This could be anything from uplifting or challenging/upsetting, so please only post or read if you feel up to it.

Take a look at these websites for further information:

I've worked with patients with Dementia and do feel like I have some knowledge and skills (especially with swallowing and communication difficulties such as word finding difficulties), however my grandma has Dementia and is now deteriorating. It feels very different when it's my own relative.

I will be posting my own updates. I welcome anyone to post any of their own experiences - past or present; family, friends, or work related.

One thing to remember: once you've met one person with Dementia, you've only met one person with Dementia. This means it affects people very differently and they are still an individual.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
My grandma was diagnosed with Dementia about 2 and a half/3 years ago. About 2 years ago she had to move into a care home as she wasn't able to look after herself. Up until this last Christmas, she was walking, playing the piano, and having full conversations. She had a fall, spent a few weeks in hospital, and is now having the majority of her care in bed, and she continuously forgets things I've just said to her, as well as past events (more so than before). When I saw her last, she had forgotten that my dad and uncle had passed away (her only 2 children) and it was very upsetting to have to tell her, as it was like she was grieving all over again. I know often in the later stages of Dementia it is sometimes best to 'go into their world' and say things like 'oh yes he's just at work' etc. but I don't think we're at that stage yet, and she might ask why they haven't been visiting which may cause more problems. I'm just wondering how other people have gone about reminding their loved one with Dementia that they have lost someone they didn't remember they had?
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I have an online log in to see entries about my grandma from the care home. They have stated she's now end of life with palliative care. I knew she was deteriorating but I guess this has made me have to actually face it. I just want her to be as comfortable and happy as she can be.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
So I have an online log in to see entries about my grandma from the care home. They have stated she's now end of life with palliative care. I knew she was deteriorating but I guess this has made me have to actually face it. I just want her to be as comfortable and happy as she can be.
:hugs:
CoolCavy
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Interrobang
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm so sorry to hear that you and your family are going through this :hugs: I can't imagine what it must be like - my grandad had dementia but I was too young to really know what was going on and I can't really remember him at all. A couple of my friends are going through this at the moment with their grandparents too
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Thanks both :hugs:
Last edited by BurstingBubbles; 1 week ago
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
I'm so sorry to hear that you and your family are going through this :hugs: I can't imagine what it must be like - my grandad had dementia but I was too young to really know what was going on and I can't really remember him at all. A couple of my friends are going through this at the moment with their grandparents too
Thanks. The thing is it's just me since my grandad, dad, and uncle have died. Like I have my mum but she and my dad divorced before my dad died and my grandma is my dad's mum. But my mum is helpful to talk to at least and does visit with me some of the time Sorry to hear about your grandad :hugs:
CoolCavy
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks. The thing is it's just me since my grandad, dad, and uncle have died. Like I have my mum but she and my dad divorced before my dad died and my grandma is my dad's mum. But my mum is helpful to talk to at least and does visit with me some of the time Sorry to hear about your grandad :hugs:
Can empathise with that, is essentially just me and my mum too (although i do have a semi distant sibling), think whilst it brings you closer it can leave you with a feeling of responsibility for that person after their parent dies (afaik grandma bubbles is your father's mum but still).
Can always talk to me and ill try to help but you know that already :hugs: sleep well bubbles
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Went to see my grandma yesterday. Was too tired/upset to update yesterday.

She didn't really recognise me. She still seems to know she has a granddaughter but didn't know i was her. I don't think her poor eye sight or hearing helped but when I ask 'Do you know who I am?' she said 'not really'. At one point she knew I was a relative of some kind but not who.

She asked about her two children (as explained above they have both already passed away) again but we just changed the topic and distracted her which seemed to work and not cause distress.

Next time I'm hopefully seeing her it will be her 90th birthday. Won't be able to do as much as we had hoped a few months ago now she's bed bound but hopefully will have flowers and cake and stuff
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads